The Student Room Group

my body is being so stupid, idk what to do???

so i'm anemic and have some deficiencies, incl a vitamin d deficiency. admittedly, i've kinda been ignoring the issue, i just couldn't be bothered taking supplements, kept forgetting to ec. but i passed out again yesterday, and it turns out my iron levels have dropped again (just a little bit). now i'm supposed to take 'ferrous fumarate' 210mg x3 a day instead of the otc iron pills i bought last time + vitamin d 4000 once a day.

the trouble is, there's no way i can continue taking them - i threw up earlier today and i'm still nauseous af. it's definitely because of the supplements. it's like my body's rejecting them? what am i supposed to do? is there any way i could get the same dose of iron and vit d from food, e.g. fresh spinach juice. tbh i'm a picky eater, and my diet is pretty bland so maybe i making some minor changes to it would be enough (instead of taking supplements)? i typically eat low sugar plain cereal for breakfast w/milk or plain yogurt + some toast or fruit (i feel lightheaded when i don't have a big breakfast, lol, don't judge me), then i usually have some fruit and veg smoothie plus dinner, usually something with lots of veggies like a nice salad, wraps, or vegetarian burgers, pasta or pizza. on most days i'll also have a snack, either some fruit or yogurt or occasionally trash food like ice cream/some chocolate.

any ideas? i'm tired of this **** tbh, i'm always cold and tired and just want my iron and vit d levels to return normal so that i can get everyone off my back, my boyfriend won't stop *****ing about my eating habits and weight even though i'm perfectly healthy otherwise.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Just whine, like gay guys do.

well as you can see, it's not working, lmfao
Reply 2
See a GP thats all u need right now
Reply 3
Original post by kadiatuj0001
See a GP thats all u need right now

but what for? there's nothing they can do about the side effects, is there?
Reply 4
Original post by Ciel.

yh,if u are having side effects they can advice u about what to do
Reply 5
Reading this reminded me to take my PrEP pill. Thank you!

i fail to see the connection but great
Original post by Ciel.
i fail to see the connection but great

More in connection, the side effects can actually be part of the cause. Anaemia is many types, one of which is refractory anaemia.. so visiting a GP can actually identify the problem more accurately and help you towards a solution which is tailored specifically to your case.
Reply 7
yh,if u are having side effects they can advice u about what to do

but i don't feel like speaking to a doctor, it's such a hassle
Reply 8
Original post by Ciel.

well u should because its for your own well being, so stop being lazy and find time to go and get yourself checked up.

Spoiler

Original post by Ciel.
so i'm anemic and have some deficiencies, incl a vitamin d deficiency. admittedly, i've kinda been ignoring the issue, i just couldn't be bothered taking supplements, kept forgetting to ec. but i passed out again yesterday, and it turns out my iron levels have dropped again (just a little bit). now i'm supposed to take 'ferrous fumarate' 210mg x3 a day instead of the otc iron pills i bought last time + vitamin d 4000 once a day.

the trouble is, there's no way i can continue taking them - i threw up earlier today and i'm still nauseous af. it's definitely because of the supplements. it's like my body's rejecting them? what am i supposed to do? is there any way i could get the same dose of iron and vit d from food, e.g. fresh spinach juice. tbh i'm a picky eater, and my diet is pretty bland so maybe i making some minor changes to it would be enough (instead of taking supplements)? i typically eat low sugar plain cereal for breakfast w/milk or plain yogurt + some toast or fruit (i feel lightheaded when i don't have a big breakfast, lol, don't judge me), then i usually have some fruit and veg smoothie plus dinner, usually something with lots of veggies like a nice salad, wraps, or vegetarian burgers, pasta or pizza. on most days i'll also have a snack, either some fruit or yogurt or occasionally trash food like ice cream/some chocolate.

any ideas? i'm tired of this **** tbh, i'm always cold and tired and just want my iron and vit d levels to return normal so that i can get everyone off my back, my boyfriend won't stop *****ing about my eating habits and weight even though i'm perfectly healthy otherwise.

You have to maybe book another GP appt as soon as you can, and explain to them how taking them makes you feel, how long has it been since you felt like this? and how long have you been on the ferrous fumarate tablets? if it's been a substantial amount of time, then it might be worth going back and explaining to them.
Reply 10
More in connection, the side effects can actually be part of the cause. Anaemia is many types, one of which is refractory anaemia.. so visiting a GP can actually identify the problem more accurately and help you towards a solution which is tailored specifically to your case.

okay but how is prep even relevant to anemia?

well u should because its for your own well being, so stop being lazy and find time to go and get yourself checked up.

Spoiler

i don't understand what you mean. i already know what the problem is?
Original post by Ciel.

Do you have a mate/relative whose a doctor you can just pop them a text and they can give advice, easy for me to say I know quite a lot of doc's :rolleyes:
Original post by Ciel.

They can. They could switch you to a different medication (if there is one), or give you something to counteract the side effects.
Original post by Ciel.

i don't understand what you mean. i already know what the problem is?

but it sounds like u are having side affects so u should see a GP
Original post by Ciel.

I was just saying that reading your post reminded me to take a pill that I forget taking esp. when you said 'keep forgetting'. it is unrelated to anemia afaik
Reply 15
Original post by kekedoyouloveme?
Do you have a mate/relative whose a doctor you can just pop them a text and they can give advice, easy for me to say I know quite a lot of doc's :rolleyes:

nope. i mean i can could just use one of the online 'ask' services but i cba lol.
Presumably your GP prescribed the supplements in the first place-if it was something you could have controlled by diet they would have suggested that. Go back to your GP about the side effects-nausea from iron supplements sucks (I know, I’ve been there) but your doctor can help with that and adjust as necessary.
Reply 17
Original post by KittyN
They can. They could switch you to a different medication (if there is one), or give you something to counteract the side effects.

right.
I was just saying that reading your post reminded me to take a pill that I forget taking esp. when you said 'keep forgetting'. it is unrelated to anemia afaik

ah, makes sense then, lol
Original post by Ciel.
nope. i mean i can could just use one of the online 'ask' services but i cba lol.

But why? it's your body, aren't you concerned, over the side effects, as in doesn't it bother you? I have thalassemia which I mean does lead to anaemia so idk where I'm going with this but, if I fainted a lot I'd be mugged off and go to my GP aha
Reply 19
For vitamin D I'd say try to get as much time in the sunlight - i know it's a pain, but it should help. Also, salmon, mushrooms, mackerel, tuna, tofu, soy milk, and soy yogurt and orange juice with added vitamin D should help if eaten/drank ( but idk if you like any of these- i'm a picky eater too and had a vitamin D deficiency, my mum bought me this small vitamin D spray thing let me show you a picture)

Spoiler

With iron deficiency try eating lots of meats, drink orange juice, eat strawberries, oranges, red peppers and foods high in Vitamin C i guess, since it helps with absorbing iron.

Other than that i'm not sure what to suggest sorry

Quick Reply

Latest