The Student Room Group

MSc Data Science and Analytics

Hey guys,

This is the usual cliche question, but I would really appreciate some help in choosing the university. I am looking for Jan intake and currently hold offers from the below universities.

1) University of Leeds.
2) Royal Holloway , University of London
3) University of Surrey.
4) University of Stirling.

It would be really helpful if you can provide some suggestions.
I'd go with 1)Leeds 2)Surrey
Have you considered Glasgow as well ? The course commences on January as well.
Original post by btw i use arch
I'd go with 1)Leeds 2)Surrey
Have you considered Glasgow as well ? The course commences on January as well.

Hey!, I had applied there, but they rejected my application since I have done my bachelors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering :frown:
Original post by Mystique 105
Hey!, I had applied there, but they rejected my application since I have done my bachelors in Electrical and Electronics Engineering :frown:

Oh, I'm sorry for that. UoG is such an amazing place to study. However the programme is tailored for mainly non-STEM backgrounds.
May I ask why do you pursue Data Analytics degree but not Data Science (or any other programme) ?
Original post by btw i use arch
Oh, I'm sorry for that. UoG is such an amazing place to study. However the programme is tailored for mainly non-STEM backgrounds.
May I ask why do you pursue Data Analytics degree but not Data Science (or any other programme) ?

I went through the modules in both Data Analytics and Data Science. I could see that the courses in Data Analytics are more mathematics-related however, I am looking for something closely related to computer science as I already have experience as a developer and would love to learn more in that field.
Original post by Mystique 105
I went through the modules in both Data Analytics and Data Science. I could see that the courses in Data Analytics are more mathematics-related however, I am looking for something closely related to computer science as I already have experience as a developer and would love to learn more in that field.

If you're passionate about both Mathematics and Computer Science, well, that leads to the obvious direction : Machine Learning.
Many universities offer Machine Learning Master's Degree (or advertised as Artificial Intelligence, but most of the modules are ML related).
I know at least, Edinburgh, Glasgow, St.Andrews(Also Data-Intensive Analysis Msc for STEM backgrounds), Bristol, Bath,Nottingham. Exeter..
Machine Learning is quintessentially a subset of Data Science that combines Mathematics, Statistics and Computer Science.
As I've seen, Data Analytics is more targeted by Business graduates that want to combine managerial,business and technical skills. (It might be Business Analytics but applies to Data Analytics as well)
Though, if you're looking for diving into more business side of things, DA would be a perfect course for you.
Hope this helps.
I am actually looking for Jan intake , and I believe these universities don't offer a Jan intake( except glasgow). In that case the above universities are my best options.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending