The Student Room Group

Feeling lost with UCAS

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Guardians0111
Hi I'm struggling right now. I'm in year 12 and I don't know what I want to do when I finish, I'm tied by so many subjects for after college and it's just getting me down knowing that I really need to decide soon but I don't know what I should do.

The jobs in my head currently are

- Nursing
- Social worker
- A police detective (after doing a degree in sociology)
- Paramedic
- Working with animals
- Clinical psychologist

I just need advice on what on earth do I do as I just feel helpless...

Ok so the ones that are up there are predominantly caring about others. So that's a start. Plus some of theses are fast paced roles such as the nursing and paramedic.
Working with animals is this a vet or being a zoologist btw?

I really think what you need to do is perhaps watch a few videos and vlogs on you tube or somewhere to get a fair idea on how the job works, the good the bad and the ugly. Then also look at degrees to get to that profession and its modules. Then try and imagine yourself in that said role and studying that said degree. If it really gets you excited, sleep on it, and then if your feeling the same way and still excited about that profession your one step closer to making a decision.
Hi I'm struggling right now. I'm in year 12 and I don't know what I want to do when I finish, I'm tied by so many subjects for after college and it's just getting me down knowing that I really need to decide soon but I don't know what I should do.

The jobs in my head currently are

- Nursing
- Social worker
- A police detective (after doing a degree in sociology)
- Paramedic
- Working with animals
- Clinical psychologist

I just need advice on what on earth do I do as I just feel helpless...

Nursing and Social Work appear to fit your subject choice(s) best, although both fields are extremely competitive (SW in particular). Starting salaries, however, appear decent, with Social Workers offered bonuses/minor incentives. Psychology BA is massively oversaturated and would most definitely require a postgrad to narrow the scope and so broaden your prospects. Also, Psychology A level is partially maths-based as it is a “scientific subject” - a degree would follow suit. If you’re looking at the police force, there’s many related degrees - Criminology with Sociology, Law ect, , Youth Justice, Policing Studies - so on and so forth. Personally I’d advise against Sociogy and Criminology, Sociology especially as they’re both weak degrees in a traditional sense (as are most humanities majors). I say this as someone who picked ALL humanities subjects at A level! There also the option of degree apprenticeships available with the police force. I’m not sure how you’ll tailor your personal statement to such degrees, however. Making correlations between the subjects your studying now and the path you intend to pursue may prove difficult.
Reply 23
Could I do a degree in sociology and criminology and then become an intelligence analyst?

You need to use Google prospects intelligence analyst profile and find out the route which you need to take or google how do I become a intelligence analyst and every time you think of a new career profile do the same as it will explain exactly what step you need to take to get to specific career good luck
Original post by Keet
You need to use Google prospects intelligence analyst profile and find out the route which you need to take or google how do I become a intelligence analyst and every time you think of a new career profile do the same as it will explain exactly what step you need to take to get to specific career good luck

Thank you. There are no issues with constantly changing career ideas, is there? :colondollar:
Original post by Bethbxo
Nursing and Social Work appear to fit your subject choice(s) best, although both fields are extremely competitive (SW in particular). Starting salaries, however, appear decent, with Social Workers offered bonuses/minor incentives. Psychology BA is massively oversaturated and would most definitely require a postgrad to narrow the scope and so broaden your prospects. Also, Psychology A level is partially maths-based as it is a “scientific subject” - a degree would follow suit. If you’re looking at the police force, there’s many related degrees - Criminology with Sociology, Law ect, , Youth Justice, Policing Studies - so on and so forth. Personally I’d advise against Sociogy and Criminology, Sociology especially as they’re both weak degrees in a traditional sense (as are most humanities majors). I say this as someone who picked ALL humanities subjects at A level! There also the option of degree apprenticeships available with the police force. I’m not sure how you’ll tailor your personal statement to such degrees, however. Making correlations between the subjects your studying now and the path you intend to pursue may prove difficult.

I did first one to become a nurse and I had decided this was the right career for me. But I've had a really hard year medically and it's just put me off wanting to become nurse and that's why I'm now looking at sociology and criminology. Why do you think it's a weak subject? You said it will be difficult to make paths and it will be difficult, a lot of students probably come from other courses to this one?
I did first one to become a nurse and I had decided this was the right career for me. But I've had a really hard year medically and it's just put me off wanting to become nurse and that's why I'm now looking at sociology and criminology. Why do you think it's a weak subject? You said it will be difficult to make paths and it will be difficult, a lot of students probably come from other courses to this one?

It’s non-specific and non-vocational. It could lead you somewhere great, but It depends on 3 main factors: your grade (first, 2:1, 2.2, third), your university (RG or non-RG) and your experience. Criminology is a particularly trendy degree at the minute, which allows for an influx in Criminology graduates. Due to the criminal nature of the degree, it’s looked down upon by most employers - the main source of employment with a Criminology degree being the police force. This would qualify you for the role of a Criminologist, other roles would require additional qualifications. For example, a similar path that Criminology grads go into is probation, but if you want to be a probation officer with a Criminology degree you have to do a specific PO course. If you pick a degree with an integrated placement year, this might boost your chances (as the best degrees imo are degrees that you leave university qualified, so nursing, social work, social care ect). Academic degrees can and DO work, but you have to go out of your way to gain experience (which is already guaranteed with a vocational subject).
Original post by TsRtSr1001
That’s 7 GCSE’s I believe. I did 10 or 11 (can’t be bothered to count XD) and I think that’s roughly average. By hard I mean often long hours and a large work load. But still rewarding. You’d have to check each uni you like to see their requirements, but I know that they exclude quite a few unis. A friend of mine is a clinical psychologist, and that I believe requires a doctorate, often related to medicine I.e. do a psychology course and then get the medical training separate.

You missed the BteC - that has GCSE equivalence.

8 is enough for anything ...
I thought this was the normal amount of GCSEs? I suppose my grades are not the best either? How come you say social work is hard hard work? And also I thought you could become a paramedic and/or a clinic psych with my subjects. Dammit :frown:

You have 7 + the BTeC which makes the number OK

Is there a careers person you could talk to at school?
Original post by Muttley79
You have 7 + the BTeC which makes the number OK

Is there a careers person you could talk to at school?

Okay thank you.

I spoke to someone I think in February and I was told that you could only have one session with them per year so I've kinda screwed that up as when I went to them I was looking at nursing so got lots of help about that, now I'm looking at something totally different.

I feel like the BTEC has narrowed all my choices down :frown:
Okay thank you.

I spoke to someone I think in February and I was told that you could only have one session with them per year so I've kinda screwed that up as when I went to them I was looking at nursing so got lots of help about that, now I'm looking at something totally different.

I feel like the BTEC has narrowed all my choices down :frown:

September is a new school year - ask again ...
Reply 32
Thank you. There are no issues with constantly changing career ideas, is there? :colondollar:

No because I think it’s making you really seriously think and will help to lead you to your final decision.
September is a new school year - ask again ...

Will do thank you. At times I feel like I should just stick to nursing as it's the easiest option but im not 100% sure if thats me
Will do thank you. At times I feel like I should just stick to nursing as it's the easiest option but im not 100% sure if thats me

Try that UCAS link I sent :smile:

I think nursing is something you need to be 100% sure about ...
Try that UCAS link I sent :smile:

I think nursing is something you need to be 100% sure about ...

I've just done the quizz. It says I am a Koala bear and that I get on with it quietly. Job roles are:

Youth and community worker
Museum curator
Dog groomer
Radiographer
Personal assistant.
I've just done the quizz. It says I am a Koala bear and that I get on with it quietly. Job roles are:

Youth and community worker
Museum curator
Dog groomer
Radiographer
Personal assistant.

Does that ring true?
Does that ring true?

Eh semi. The bit about doing things quietly is certainly true and I have infact looked at radiography. Apparently Mother Teresa is a koala bear..
Hi.
If you are seriously interested in becoming a police detective have a look at this national graduate programme.
https://www.policenow.org.uk/national-detective-programme/
You can study any degree at uni and as long as you meet the requirements can apply. My friend is studying geography because she loves the subject and then is going to apply through this programme.
Original post by Phoenixfeather99
Hi.
If you are seriously interested in becoming a police detective have a look at this national graduate programme.
https://www.policenow.org.uk/national-detective-programme/
You can study any degree at uni and as long as you meet the requirements can apply. My friend is studying geography because she loves the subject and then is going to apply through this programme.

Thank you

Quick Reply