The Student Room Group

Hair loss

I'm a guy and been having hair loss for about 6 years now (since I was around 15/16), and I don't know why it's happening. I've tried a lot of stuff like using oil, changing my diet even though it was good already, exercising more, but none of it works.
I don't know why this is happening, and I've also started getting more white hair (was around 4 strands a few years back, and now it's at around 10).
This hasn't happened to anyone in my family and at this point, I think even my grand parents have more hair than me which is quite heart-breaking.
Does any one have any advice on why this is happening or what to do as it is quite noticeable when I'm under direct light :frown:
I don't want to do a hair transplant or take any medicine like minoxidil as I heard that if you use a few times, and then stop, your hair falls out again.

Thank for any advice :smile:

Scroll to see replies

i believe their is a middle option for hair loss, have seen adverts on the tube, not hair transplants but hair units that blend in with your hair? (i am female so not looked into it myself)

anyway google hair units to see if that sort of thing may suit you?
wear a wig
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I'm a guy and been having hair loss for about 6 years now (since I was around 15/16), and I don't know why it's happening. I've tried a lot of stuff like using oil, changing my diet even though it was good already, exercising more, but none of it works.
I don't know why this is happening, and I've also started getting more white hair (was around 4 strands a few years back, and now it's at around 10).
This hasn't happened to anyone in my family and at this point, I think even my grand parents have more hair than me which is quite heart-breaking.
Does any one have any advice on why this is happening or what to do as it is quite noticeable when I'm under direct light :frown:
I don't want to do a hair transplant or take any medicine like minoxidil as I heard that if you use a few times, and then stop, your hair falls out again.

there might be a medical issue, like anemia or deficiencies. get a blood test.

Hi there if you have male pattern baldness (tends to start off with 'm' shaped temples- look on google images) I'm afraid you can exercise or change your diet as much as you want, but you won't notice any change in your hairline (of course, exercise is great for general well-being!). The only effective treatments I'm afraid are the medicines you are hesitant to take. Minoxidil (which is applied as a foam and has no side effects) or finasteride/off-label dutasteride (they can have side effects, but are usually well-tolerated). These can be bought via an online consultation.

Otherwise I would suggest visiting your GP because there are many other potential causes of hair loss.
Reply 5
i believe their is a middle option for hair loss, have seen adverts on the tube, not hair transplants but hair units that blend in with your hair? (i am female so not looked into it myself)

anyway google hair units to see if that sort of thing may suit you?

Hi!
I would rather not get anything artificial added on so worst case scenario, I'll just go with it :redface:
Thanks for the advice though :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Hannah0505
wear a wig

Haha I would rather just go with it in the worst case :redface:
Thanks for the reply though :smile:
Reply 7
Original post by Ciel.

Yeah , I am going to call the local GP tomorrow and try to get a blood test done. It may be my vegetarian diet, but I haven't had any deficiencies when I did a blood test in the past, though that was nearly 4/5 years ago.
Thanks for the reply :smile:
I’d recommend using shampoo once a week, on a specific day. Make sure you wash your hair every day though with water, ensuring you get rid of all the dirt and smell effectively. Use johnsons’ baby shampoo on shampoo day but half an hour before your shower apply olive oil effectively into your scalp. Once you’ve finished washing it off (with water or water plus shampoo depending on the day) dry your hair with A TOWEL really well, then top up your hair/scalp with some more Olive Oil, maybe not as much massaging into your scalp as you’d do before a shower. Feel free to use boiling hot water on your body if you’ve gotten too used to it, which happens to a lot of people such as myself, but always, ALWAYS use cold water on your head. It’s really good for the scalp too. That’s it really. And eat your veggies 👍🏼
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by HenryHein
Hi there if you have male pattern baldness (tends to start off with 'm' shaped temples- look on google images) I'm afraid you can exercise or change your diet as much as you want, but you won't notice any change in your hairline (of course, exercise is great for general well-being!). The only effective treatments I'm afraid are the medicines you are hesitant to take. Minoxidil (which is applied as a foam and has no side effects) or finasteride/off-label dutasteride (they can have side effects, but are usually well-tolerated). These can be bought via an online consultation.

Otherwise I would suggest visiting your GP because there are many other potential causes of hair loss.

I don't have a receding hairline or anything (the hair is just going from all over), and no one in my family has male pattern baldness. I mean, even my grandparents have an almost full set of hair, and my dad didn't start losing hair until he was around 45 (it's still mostly there).
This is why I think it may be something else. My suspicion is dandruff and a lot of stress, but I'm not completely certain so I'll be contacting the local GP tomorrow for a blood test and hopefully it's something that can be solved.

Yeah , I am going to call the local GP tomorrow and try to get a blood test done. It may be my vegetarian diet, but I haven't had any deficiencies when I did a blood test in the past, though that was nearly 4/5 years ago.

Speaking to GP sounds like a good plan, especially if you are vegetarian. Also, have you tried multivitamins designed to strengthen hair (Perfectil is one brand, but I have bought cheaper versions with the same ingredients in Tesco) - I'm female but I sometimes have problems with my hair falling out and they always help after about a month a so. I usually take them for about 3 months and then stop.
Reply 11
I don't have a receding hairline or anything (the hair is just going from all over), and no one in my family has male pattern baldness. I mean, even my grandparents have an almost full set of hair, and my dad didn't start losing hair until he was around 45 (it's still mostly there).
This is why I think it may be something else. My suspicion is dandruff and a lot of stress, but I'm not completely certain so I'll be contacting the local GP tomorrow for a blood test and hopefully it's something that can be solved.

If you're able to, I'd recommend going clean shaven/bald to see if it actually is dandruff. You are also better able to take care of your scalp much more easily when there's no hair. Shaving is also a natural exfoliation for the skin, so it'll be a starting point for you to start taking care of it better.
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
I’d recommend using shampoo once a week, on a specific day. Make sure you wash your hair every day though with water, ensuring you get rid of all the dirt and smell effectively. Use johnsons’ baby shampoo on shampoo day but half an hour before your shower apply olive oil effectively into your scalp. Once you’ve finished washing it off (with water or water plus shampoo depending on the day) dry your hair with A TOWEL really well, then top up your hair/scalp with some more Olive Oil, maybe not as much massaging into your scalp as you’d do before a shower. Feel free to use boiling hot water on your body if you’ve gotten too used to it, which happens to a lot of people such as myself, but always, ALWAYS use cold water on your head. It’s really good for the scalp too. That’s it really. And eat your veggies 👍🏼

Wouldn't it be bad to wash hair every day since it may cause damage to the hair follicles?
I've heard about the cold water on the scalp so I'll start doing that.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Original post by black tea
Speaking to GP sounds like a good plan, especially if you are vegetarian. Also, have you tried multivitamins designed to strengthen hair (Perfectil is one brand, but I have bought cheaper versions with the same ingredients in Tesco) - I'm female but I sometimes have problems with my hair falling out and they always help after about a month a so. I usually take them for about 3 months and then stop.

I've only recently started taking vitamins, but I'll give multivitamins a go now as well!

Wouldn't it be bad to wash hair every day since it may cause damage to the hair follicles?
I've heard about the cold water on the scalp so I'll start doing that.

It’s preferable to not wash it at all according to lots of people and I guess if you’re not going out it’s the best thing to do at the moment! Just the smell apparently. No worries! 😁
Original post by Xarao
If you're able to, I'd recommend going clean shaven/bald to see if it actually is dandruff. You are also better able to take care of your scalp much more easily when there's no hair. Shaving is also a natural exfoliation for the skin, so it'll be a starting point for you to start taking care of it better.

I'm quite scared of going bald as a friend of mine said a long time ago that if you go bald, there is a chance that hair may never grow back (not sure how true this is).
I think dandruff is one of the reasons as there are points in the year where my scalp is literally red due to how much I scratch it and really rough due to all the dandruff. In fact, even now when I don't have much dandruff, you can still see white flakes on my hair if I comb :frown:

Original post by TakeALittleWalk
It’s preferable to not wash it at all according to lots of people and I guess if you’re not going out it’s the best thing to do at the moment! Just the smell apparently. No worries! 😁

Haha that's true XD

I've recently started washing every other day and it is much better as my hair doesn't feel oily as much now since it becomes like that 2 days after washing :redface:

It may be a that it's your genes so it's normal or that you are stressing too much. Even stressing over hair loss is enough for you to lose hair. I suggest you shave your head completely and this will lead to you to not think about it anymore and also don't stress a lot and make sure to stay healthy.
Original post by Ciel.

I did the blood test and it turns out that I do have a deficiency.
I've been taking the medicine for a week-ish now and the hair loss has reduced substantially.
I just wished I would have known about this when I last did my blood test haha

I'll also try to take more care now to see if that was the main problem or if there is something else.

Thanks again for the advice :smile:
It may be a that it's your genes so it's normal or that you are stressing too much. Even stressing over hair loss is enough for you to lose hair. I suggest you shave your head completely and this will lead to you to not think about it anymore and also don't stress a lot and make sure to stay healthy.

I don't think it's genes as not to mention my father, even my grandparents have a near full head of hair. My hair was also really thick until a few years ago. I also don't have a receding hairline or anything so I doubt it's genes.

Yeah, I have been struggling with high stress due to uni work and depression for a few years. The hair loss wasn't helping in any way :frown:

I don't think I would look good with a shaved head unfortunately :redface:

But I am trying to improve my diet and fitness, so hopefully that all works out! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest