The Student Room Group

Graying hair at 19...

So I’m 19 (female) and found like 6 grey/ white hairs on the underside of my hair... it’s not the first time, I’ve always found the odd gray hair since like 13 but I haven’t checked in a while (1 year) and noticed 6ish grey hairs
I’ve had issues with hair pretty much my whole life from hair loss (at one point my hair lost 40% of all hair but has since started to recover) to dry scalp, dandruff, very oily scalp, itching etc. I’ve tried everything but no matter what I do, I cannot get my hair to look/ feel like everyone else’s. My mum has the same hair type but hers looks so much better despite her not really doing anything whereas mine will always look puffy/ frizzy....
idk if the grey hairs are another problem I’m gonna have to face, I’ve already gone through so much with my hair and when it was finally starting to shape up (slightly but still an improvement) in terms of the way it feels/ looks that I notice these grey hairs.
I do pull them out because my hair is black so it’s really obvious and I don’t believe in the ‘pull one grey out and 3 grow in its place’ because many people have said that’s scientifically impossible
Hello, I am so sorry that you are getting graying of your hair. I am sure you still look beautiful. I think your shampoo may be the problem. Have you used Jack Black Volume hair shampoo and conditioner that is so good unlike Head and Shoulders which can have lot of things that are bad for the hair. What shampoo do you use?
Original post by Anonymous
So I’m 19 (female) and found like 6 grey/ white hairs on the underside of my hair... it’s not the first time, I’ve always found the odd gray hair since like 13 but I haven’t checked in a while (1 year) and noticed 6ish grey hairs
I’ve had issues with hair pretty much my whole life from hair loss (at one point my hair lost 40% of all hair but has since started to recover) to dry scalp, dandruff, very oily scalp, itching etc. I’ve tried everything but no matter what I do, I cannot get my hair to look/ feel like everyone else’s. My mum has the same hair type but hers looks so much better despite her not really doing anything whereas mine will always look puffy/ frizzy....
idk if the grey hairs are another problem I’m gonna have to face, I’ve already gone through so much with my hair and when it was finally starting to shape up (slightly but still an improvement) in terms of the way it feels/ looks that I notice these grey hairs.
I do pull them out because my hair is black so it’s really obvious and I don’t believe in the ‘pull one grey out and 3 grow in its place’ because many people have said that’s scientifically impossible

Just think yourself lucky you are not a male.

A friend of mine started going bald at 19 year old and was totally bald by the time he was 25.
Reply 3
Original post by shainaaa14
Hello, I am so sorry that you are getting graying of your hair. I am sure you still look beautiful. I think your shampoo may be the problem. Have you used Jack Black Volume hair shampoo and conditioner that is so good unlike Head and Shoulders which can have lot of things that are bad for the hair. What shampoo do you use?

The Dove ones, idk if it’s graying or just a few stray hairs because they’re randomly spread out...
Reply 4
Original post by Anonnorth

A friend of mine started going bald at 19 year old and was totally bald by the time he was 25.

I was deffo headed down the same spot but somehow my hair stopped falling out as much....
Original post by shainaaa14

How do you know that they are beautiful?

Sorry to hear this. I’m not an expert but it sounds like it could be stress related. Have you consulted a professional about your hair and scalp?
Original post by Anonnorth

Oh no, that must’ve been pretty traumatic. Did he get a hair transplant?
Reply 8
Sorry to hear this. I’m not an expert but it sounds like it could be stress related. Have you consulted a professional about your hair and scalp?

I was going to but the hair seems to have recovered now and actually is pretty soft now, I just gotta focus on the frizz and stuff. My mum noticed the hair around my temples getting thicker and the middle part also becoming less wide so I’ve put it off because for about a year and a half now my hair fall has been less than 50 a day (100-150 is the normal)
The graying thing could possible be stress related but I haven’t really been that stressed these past few months. It’s most likely genetic because my mum started dying her hair from like 27 onwards so maybe it’s that

Quick Reply

Latest