The Student Room Group

Why do people spell 'Russell Group' wrong?

I'm aware this is going to look very pedantic but this has been annoying me for ages.

I just don't understand how Russell Group is so widely misspelled as Russel Group, I don't where it came from. You go on their website, it is 'Russell', you search them online, it is 'Russell'. It's not even like it's anything to do with the name because that usually is spelled with 2 l's also. Yet on so many threads, it's spelled with just the one.

Does anyone know where this misconception came from?

Scroll to see replies

The male name Russell / Russel is often spelled with one L. I myself made that mistake and got corrected because I only knew about this group via word of mouth and hadn’t really looked them up. If I did read it either others had spelled it wrong or it’s one of those words that the mind ignores parts of.

Otherwise my spelling is fantastic so not sure what it is with this word.
Reply 2
Dunno, but it is really common
I can never remember which one is right, which is why I always spell it 'Russelll' to be safe.
The weird thing is when people say that they've always wanted to study at a "Russel" group (spelt wrong).

Er, no you haven't......you probably only heard about it last week since you don't even know how to spell it :tongue:
no need to deep it
Original post by Libbyc16
no need to deep it

Definitely is a need to "deep it", 😂 especially with the prestige people de facto attach to it.

I desperately want to attend a Russel Group for my future.

It's a bit cringey, and you have no idea how often those of us that are active on here read it over and over again 😂.
Original post by Realitysreflexx
Definitely is a need to "deep it", 😂 especially with the prestige people de facto attach to it.

I desperately want to attend a Russel Group for my future.

It's a bit cringey, and you have no idea how often those of us that are active on here read it over and over again 😂.

big deal some people spell it wrong, bigger things are happening in the world
Why do people get you're/your, their/there/they're, wonder/wander, effect/affect, brought/bought, etc etc wrong? They don't care enough to get it right and don't mind appearing dumb.
Reply 9
Just a quick search shows several threads starting with a missing l, pretty poor.
Russell, spelt 1 'L' or 2, isn't exactly a common name anymore. Which means new uni applicants haven't likely been exposed to the spelling and are using their common sense to figure out. Yes they can look it up and check, but it is also one if those words you assume you haven't gotten wrong based on spelling rules you are taught at school.
Given the English Language is known to be one of the most confusing in terms of spelling rules and grammar, it is a very easy mistake to make.
As language is also incredibly contextual, if someone writes "I want to study at a Russel Group university" it's pretty obvious what they mean. If you know how to correct them, then they got their message across pretty well I would say!
Original post by Always_Confused
Russell, spelt 1 'L' or 2, isn't exactly a common name anymore. Which means new uni applicants haven't likely been exposed to the spelling and are using their common sense to figure out. Yes they can look it up and check, but it is also one if those words you assume you haven't gotten wrong based on spelling rules you are taught at school.
Given the English Language is known to be one of the most confusing in terms of spelling rules and grammar, it is a very easy mistake to make.
As language is also incredibly contextual, if someone writes "I want to study at a Russel Group university" it's pretty obvious what they mean. If you know how to correct them, then they got their message across pretty well I would say!

I mean, it's also a pretty cocky statement to make. They simply assume they are Russell group material. 🤣😂 Yet struggle with the most basic premise of spelling the life goal.

Your right it's not a big deal. But it remains comical.
Original post by jackien1
Why do people get you're/your, their/there/they're, wonder/wander, effect/affect, brought/bought, etc etc wrong? They don't care enough to get it right and don't mind appearing dumb.

I do this all the time, especially if I'm heated. Grammar is really pretty overrated. Spelling however is definitely not 😂. Especially when you are considering yourself gifted enough to attend a mighty Russel Group. (Sarcasm and error intended).
Original post by Possibly this
I'm aware this is going to look very pedantic but this has been annoying me for ages.

I just don't understand how Russell Group is so widely misspelled as Russel Group, I don't where it came from. You go on their website, it is 'Russell', you search them online, it is 'Russell'. It's not even like it's anything to do with the name because that usually is spelled with 2 l's also. Yet on so many threads, it's spelled with just the one.

Then life is going to annoy you forever - lets go with your, you're and even your. Their and they're.
Original post by Possibly this

Outsidie of TSR Russel/Russell group is not really a thing anyway.
Original post by Mojmeer

You know nothing - you are in your thirties and just trying to create problems
Original post by Mojmeer

It is a thing, its just completely misunderstood and people make it out as something which it isn't.

And even on TSR lots of users really dont know what it is. There is a seemingly endless list of people who insist on going to a Russell group uni, I find it quite frustrating when I see a "im attending a Russell group..." post, i tend to get very judgmental very fast with those users.
Original post by Frontlineworker

Sure mate :biggrin:
Original post by Frontlineworker

*Sigh*

What is the point of this post. I actually agree with Mojmeers sentiment, especially with regard to undergrad applicants.
Original post by mnot
It is a thing, its just completely misunderstood and people make it out as something which it isn't.

And even on TSR lots of users really dont know what it is. There is a seemingly endless list of people who insist on going to a Russell group uni, I find it quite frustrating when I see a "im attending a Russell group..." post, i tend to get very judgmental very fast with those users.

It's all about the cash they put into the primary research. It's not very relevant to undergraduate degrees at all and useless to the bulk of TSR Users hoping in 2:2 in Psychology or Literature. :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending