The Student Room Group

Applying to PGDE Primary Education in 2021

Hello, I'm in Scotland, I studied a BA in Marketing and Business Analysis (just an ordinary degree) so I thought it would be best if I leave uni a year early and get all the relevant experience I can.

Right now I've applied for a few classroom assistant jobs - there seems to be more everyday I look, so that would be ideal as right now I work part-time and it would just be easier to get experience while also earning money. I volunteer once a week at Barnardo's and they have told me they'll be flexible with my hours if need be. I also have sent in an enquiry to volunteer with the Rainbows but understandably they're taking a while to get back to me. I have also wanted to learn British Sign Language and found a college near me that does night classes and online classes in BSL that I could apply for (my thinking is this shows that I'll be able to communicate with parents/children who are hard of hearing or deaf), also just think it'd be a good skill to have because we have to wear masks now so lipreading is impossible. If the teaching assistant (paid) plan fails though I am in contact with some teachers from my old primary school who said last year they would be more than happy to let me shadow for a day a week. So I have a plan, but I'm not sure if I could be doing more?

I'm also a bit worried about the whole coronavirus situation (as everyone is), and I'm not sure if this year is the right year to apply? I had a think about teaching and I am 100% sure it's what I want to do - so I'm glad I have a plan to get there! But I'm just unsure on how easy it will be to get there? My friend who has now just finished her PGDE Primary Education has said that experience is important but she's sure they'll make a bit of leeway this year and understand if I can't get experience in the Rainbows, but I'm just feeling all over the place about it.

Any advice would be appreciated on anything else I can do to bolster my application - as I don't have Honours I'm aware I'm at a slight disadvantage so I'm hoping getting more experience will help me!

Thanks so much! :smile:
Original post by ashleighcrumlish
Hello, I'm in Scotland, I studied a BA in Marketing and Business Analysis (just an ordinary degree) so I thought it would be best if I leave uni a year early and get all the relevant experience I can.

Right now I've applied for a few classroom assistant jobs - there seems to be more everyday I look, so that would be ideal as right now I work part-time and it would just be easier to get experience while also earning money. I volunteer once a week at Barnardo's and they have told me they'll be flexible with my hours if need be. I also have sent in an enquiry to volunteer with the Rainbows but understandably they're taking a while to get back to me. I have also wanted to learn British Sign Language and found a college near me that does night classes and online classes in BSL that I could apply for (my thinking is this shows that I'll be able to communicate with parents/children who are hard of hearing or deaf), also just think it'd be a good skill to have because we have to wear masks now so lipreading is impossible. If the teaching assistant (paid) plan fails though I am in contact with some teachers from my old primary school who said last year they would be more than happy to let me shadow for a day a week. So I have a plan, but I'm not sure if I could be doing more?

I'm also a bit worried about the whole coronavirus situation (as everyone is), and I'm not sure if this year is the right year to apply? I had a think about teaching and I am 100% sure it's what I want to do - so I'm glad I have a plan to get there! But I'm just unsure on how easy it will be to get there? My friend who has now just finished her PGDE Primary Education has said that experience is important but she's sure they'll make a bit of leeway this year and understand if I can't get experience in the Rainbows, but I'm just feeling all over the place about it.

Any advice would be appreciated on anything else I can do to bolster my application - as I don't have Honours I'm aware I'm at a slight disadvantage so I'm hoping getting more experience will help me!

Thanks so much! :smile:

The best thing to do is get in touch with the unis you're looking to apply to and ask them what they're looking for, and how much leeway they'll give in terms of experience (although phrase it a bit better haha).

If you're worried about the coronavirus situation, I'd also ask the unis what measures they're taking. I assume you'll have to do placements, but right now we obviously aren't sure how many schools will be properly open, so ask the unis what they'll be doing - I know some are doing virtual placements (I don't know how this works, but I've seen it mentioned when applying for my own PGCE Secondary).

The experience you're getting sounds good, so I wouldn't stress and just contact the individual unis you're applying to and work on that! Good luck! :smile:
Reply 2
Unfortunately, you need to have an hons degree or you don’t meet the minimum requirements so you would need to finish your last year of uni before you can apply. Or at least currently going through your last year of uni and have a pending result. If you check all the uni entry requirements it’s outlined there.
It's not a requirement in Scotland. The only requirement is a degree

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending