The Student Room Group

Crashing highers

Heyy, am currently in fourth year going into fifth year. The subjects i have chosen for my 5th year are English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry. I am thinking of crashing a higher as i don't have any other option. What highers would you say are relatively easy to crash and to get an A in? Higher options i have in the remaining 5th column are Admin & it, Computing science, Design & Manufacture, Drama, Health & food technology, History, Italian, Photography and Physics.

Scroll to see replies

I’d say design, anything but history it’s so time consuming. Not hard, just soo much content.
Original post by Judy Biju
Heyy, am currently in fourth year going into fifth year. The subjects i have chosen for my 5th year are English, Mathematics, Biology, Chemistry. I am thinking of crashing a higher as i don't have any other option. What highers would you say are relatively easy to crash and to get an A in? Higher options i have in the remaining 5th column are Admin & it, Computing science, Design & Manufacture, Drama, Health & food technology, History, Italian, Photography and Physics.

Hey! Great choices so far :smile: I can see you already have quite a few Science based subjects. Do you know what you'd like to do after you leave school yet?

To give yourself a broader range of skills you could look to perhaps choose an essay-based higher? Something like History or Italian would be perfect for that, or even Drama. This could balance out the time you're spending doing Science subjects and keep your subject range broad, however if it's Science you'd like to do after you leave school of course you'd want to keep focusing on those.

Try not to pick a Higher just for the sake of hoping it will be easy to get an A in. Pick subjects you think you'll enjoy and that are relevant to what you want to do, as universities and colleges can obviously see the subjects you've went for and may be interested in why you made those choices. If I'm honest though, I don't think any Higher will be easy at all! I crashed Higher Modern Studies in my 5th year at school and it ended up being one of the most time consuming subjects, but also one of the ones I enjoyed doing so that helped a lot.

Good luck! :wink: Would love to hear what you end up picking!

-Caitlin :h:
Official University of Strathclyde Rep

I'm crashing Higher Admin this year and it's been pretty easy. The more difficult part is the theory but I guess all you really need is common sense to be able to answer the questions. I think if you put the work in you could definitely be able to get an A. I crashed Higher Music last year and I found it hard at the start as I had to spend a lot of time learning all the Nat 5 concepts while also learning all the new things for Higher, and I only really understood what was going on until the very end before lockdown. As for the other subjects in your columns a lot of people in my year are taking FCT as a skive, History I believe would be a bit like Modern Studies which I am also crashing this year- it's not been too hard but a lot of work goes into it, Italian may be a bit hard if you can't speak the language at all as you'll have to do a talking, reading, writing and listening exams, and Physics- most of my friends took Higher Physics and they all did it at Nat 5 and were always talking about how difficult and complicated it is so I'd say Physics would be good for you if you're up for a challenge- also it may be easier for you as you're taking biology and chemistry too.
My friends crashed higher admin and photography and neither said any of them were really hard but photography requires a portfolio that takes time
Higher admin is the easiest subject to crash also I suppose computer science would be easy as most of the course is practical (writing programs and databases) but you would need to revise stuff from nat 5.

If you can, Higher RMPS is extremely forgiving if you crash it. I 100% recommend it to everyone and anyone. I've also ended up tutoring quite a few people who crashed it or decided to self-learn it, and they all did really well (all the while discovering what a hidden gem of a subject it really is).

If RMPS isn't an option, I'd recommend going with Italian (especially if you've found your Nat 5 foreign language super easy). After that, I'd go with History. Although not easy per se, the topics are extremely interesting which make studying for it less of a chore (at least it was for me).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by SchuylerSister22
X

Original post by Horsesarethebest
X

Original post by Kubsyy
X

Although content-wise Higher Admin may appear simple, the exam can be really tricky apparently. When I was at school, a lot of people who got As or Bs in their other Highers, were straight up getting No Awards or scraping Ds for Admin. What's more, on a nation-wide scale, the grade distribution for Higher Admin is pretty poor too. Not sure if it's because so many people take it because they assume it's easy, or if it's actually deceptively difficult.

It sure is a strange one. :confused:
(edited 3 years ago)
I would be very wary of crashing photography as it is very time consuming and you have to spend a lot of time on your portfolio. Drama also has a very big written component that is known for being very difficult.
Is there anything you feel like you would enjoy because in the end the one you enjoy the most will be easiest to crash.
Reply 9
Original post by islastewart04
I would be very wary of crashing photography as it is very time consuming and you have to spend a lot of time on your portfolio. Drama also has a very big written component that is known for being very difficult.
Is there anything you feel like you would enjoy because in the end the one you enjoy the most will be easiest to crash.

Hi, ty for ur reply. In terms of subjects i enjoy there's none in the column that i think i would enjoy lmao. i am planning on maybe crashing higher physics or admin & it but since majority of the people that have replied have said that admin is tough to crash i am thinking of taking physics, i like maths so i think i "might enjoy" physics🤷
Reply 10
Original post by Quick-use
If you can, Higher RMPS is extremely forgiving if you crash it. I 100% recommend it to everyone and anyone. I've also ended up tutoring quite a few people who crashed it or decided to self-learn it, and they all did really well (all the while discovering what a hidden gem of a subject it really is).

If RMPS isn't an option, I'd recommend going with Italian (especially if you've found your Nat 5 foreign language super easy). After that, I'd go with History. Although not easy per se, the topics are extremely interesting which make studying for it less of a chore (at least it was for me).

Hi, ty for replying. I was considering taking history but then i asked a few of my friends and they told me there's a lot of writing and it's all essay based. I can't write to save my own life so i gave up on that idea...
Hi, ty for replying. I was considering taking history but then i asked a few of my friends and they told me there's a lot of writing and it's all essay based. I can't write to save my own life so i gave up on that idea...

In that case, I'd definitely go for Physics, Computing Science, Italian or RMPS. I still firmly believe that RMPS is one of the easiest (and underlooked) Highers that you can crash. People consider it to be difficult-ish like Modern Studies or Geography, but the exam format is really forgiving and the content is common sense and really interesting. That said, you'll have to write a fair amount (not as much as History, Mods or Geog). The exam answers are shorter and some of the essay writing aren't too long either.
Reply 12
Original post by Quick-use
In that case, I'd definitely go for Physics, Computing Science, Italian or RMPS. I still firmly believe that RMPS is one of the easiest (and underlooked) Highers that you can crash. People consider it to be difficult-ish like Modern Studies or Geography, but the exam format is really forgiving and the content is common sense and really interesting. That said, you'll have to write a fair amount (not as much as History, Mods or Geog). The exam answers are shorter and some of the essay writing aren't too long either.

Oh ok ty again for replying:smile:. But can i ask what is RMPS?
Crash higher physics will be very hard , how come you don’t carry on one of your other national 5’s from last year ?
Oh ok ty again for replying:smile:. But can i ask what is RMPS?

Religious, Moral and Philosophical Studies.

I think Higher Physics is the hardest subject, even worse than Maths.

As much as I don’t agree with doing a subject for an easy higher, I would say admin is the easiest out that list for me anyway like a few others on this. However if you know what you want to do once you leave school you you should tailor your choice around that.
Reply 17
Original post by Randomuser212v2
Crash higher physics will be very hard , how come you don’t carry on one of your other national 5’s from last year ?

Hi, ty for your reply. I want to do medicine after school and for that, we are required to do 5 highers so as much as I would love to just take a nat 5 from last year it's kinda out of the question...
Hi, ty for your reply. I want to do medicine after school and for that, we are required to do 5 highers so as much as I would love to just take a nat 5 from last year it's kinda out of the question...

No , you misunderstood . I meant like do the higher version of one of your previous n5
Reply 19
Original post by Randomuser212v2
No , you misunderstood . I meant like do the higher version of one of your previous n5

Oo ok my bad. The only nat 5 I did that's in that column is D.E.T, which I got a C in the prelim for. Therefore I am not so confident in picking it again as I not only flopped so badly on the prelim but also didn't enjoy the subject as much.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending