The Student Room Group

the dyed hair journey/AMA

this thread is aimed towards those who are thinking about dying their hair but have some questions/doubts, or ppl who’ve dyed it and would like to share some tips/anecdotes. tbh I would’ve liked some reference before doing it lol (I had pink balayage highlights done).

ask/share away!🎆

ps: do keep in mind my answers will be based off my own experience :smile:
Reply 1
how was your experience with bleaching your hair? (unless you're blonde then oops XD)
As a guy, I'd never dye my hair unless it was grey.
Original post by macy_m
how was your experience with bleaching your hair? (unless you're blonde then oops XD)

hey! nope, I’m not blonde, and I didn’t bleach it myself, thank the flips. ppl tell u that dying ur hair is a long process, and they’re not kidding. personally only the bleaching process took around 4 hours. they have to keep dividing ur hair in the smallest of strands and treat each strand individually with the bleach, then fold it in aluminium. u will end up looking like an octopus. tbf what takes the longest is applying the bleach. once that’s done, they only leave it on for around 20 mins.

also, something NOBODY tells u is that in order to get the gradient effect on ur hair (so that it’s not suddenly blonde, but gradually becomes lighter), before applying bleach on the small strand, they brush it UPWARDS. as in, creating a big-ass knot in every single ministrand. which hurts —pardon my vocab- like a BISH when they take off the aluminium and try to brush ur hair. im hardheaded and took the pain in stride, as in, tear-in-my-eyes-and-crushing-my-hands stride, but jeez, take it from me: don’t endure that pain in silence. if it hurts, scream like a madwoman/man.

aaand that’s about it, I think. the bleach will leave ur hair blonde-ish/white-ish, depending on how light u wanna go/need for the dye to stick afterwards.

the pink dye which, btw, stuck for no more than ONE WASH. but that’s a story for another day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by twinklelittlstar
hey! nope, I’m not blonde, and I didn’t bleach it myself, thank the flips. ppl tell u that dying ur hair is a long process, and they’re not kidding. personally only the bleaching process took around 4 hours. they have to keep dividing ur hair in the smallest of strands and treat each strand individually with the bleach, then fold it in aluminium. u will end up looking like an octopus. tbf what takes the longest is applying the bleach. once that’s done, they only leave it on for around 20 mins.

also, something NOBODY tells u is that in order to get the gradient effect on ur hair (so that it’s not suddenly blonde, but gradually becomes lighter), before applying bleach on the small strand, they brush it UPWARDS. as in, creating a big-ass knot in every single ministrand. which hurts —pardon my vocab- like a BISH when they take off the aluminium and try to brush ur hair. im hardheaded and took the pain in stride, as in, tear-in-my-eyes-and-crushing-my-hands stride, but jeez, take it from me: don’t endure that pain in silence. if it hurts, scream like a madwoman/man.

aaand that’s about it, I think. the bleach will leave ur hair blonde-ish/white-ish, depending on how light u wanna go/need for the dye to stick afterwards.

the pink dye which, btw, stuck for no more than ONE WASH. but that’s a story for another day.

oh wow, sounds a lot crazier than i thought haha XD
does your hair seem drier now because of the bleach? in the near future i'd like to try getting silver ends and darker roots, but that will need a lot of treatment :'/
one wash wow, did you end up complaining about it ?!
Original post by macy_m
oh wow, sounds a lot crazier than i thought haha XD
does your hair seem drier now because of the bleach? in the near future i'd like to try getting silver ends and darker roots, but that will need a lot of treatment :'/
one wash wow, did you end up complaining about it ?!

that sounds fab. and yes, it's drier than it was before, especially at the start, but meh. u just gotta apply conditioner, and all's good. (at least rn- maybe in two weeks it's all falling off, but don't think so, dw :mmm:).

and loool no, didn't complain. they warn u that all fantasy colors last a very short while, and I was dumb enough to get a somewhat pastel pink. my recommendation: get a dark color, with time it'll wear off and u'll end up with the pastel color anyway.

also, sthing I just remembered and that nobody bothers to tell u (again): ur hair will STINK. at the beginning especially, it'll smell kinda like burnt hair. with the first wash it'll go away (as in, it will no longer smell when it's dry), but when the hair's wet the stench returns. u know how there's a wet dog smell. well. same thing, but w ur own hair, right on ur head. maybe it's just me. let's hope that's the case and that it'll go away :")

but lmao despite everything it's worth it, imo. hair grows!! :yep:
Reply 6
Original post by twinklelittlstar
that sounds fab. and yes, it's drier than it was before, especially at the start, but meh. u just gotta apply conditioner, and all's good. (at least rn- maybe in two weeks it's all falling off, but don't think so, dw :mmm:).

and loool no, didn't complain. they warn u that all fantasy colors last a very short while, and I was dumb enough to get a somewhat pastel pink. my recommendation: get a dark color, with time it'll wear off and u'll end up with the pastel color anyway.

also, sthing I just remembered and that nobody bothers to tell u (again): ur hair will STINK. at the beginning especially, it'll smell kinda like burnt hair. with the first wash it'll go away (as in, it will no longer smell when it's dry), but when the hair's wet the stench returns. u know how there's a wet dog smell. well. same thing, but w ur own hair, right on ur head. maybe it's just me. let's hope that's the case and that it'll go away :")

but lmao despite everything it's worth it, imo. hair grows!! :yep:

:woo: tysm!!
Original post by macy_m
:woo: tysm!!

it’s no problem!!!🥳

Quick Reply

Latest