The Student Room Group

Oxford or Cambridge Law

Hi all,
currently a year 12 (soon to be year 13) student going through the UCAS process.
I have decided I would like to study law, and im unsure about which Oxbridge to choose from.

Ive done my research and i know stuff like, Cambridge's exam system is yearly whereas oxford is once after 2 terms then finals after the end of last year. Oxford have a lower entry req and require the LNAT wheras Cambridge is the CLT. Oxford value GCSE grades more than cambridge do.

But tbh, i still really dont know which one i prefer.
Would anyone who has applied to law at either uni be able to tell me why they choose that one over the other one, or anyone currently at either uni give me a bit of a insight into how it is & how it compared to how they thought it would be when they applied?
Really just anything to help me decide between the two!

thanks!!
Hi!

I think one of the things we need to know is your GCSE results as Oxford tend to be more GCSE-heavy than Cambridge as you already know.

Here are chapters from Oxford Mum's Oxford demystified and Cambridge demystified which should definitely give a good insight into the two courses at the respective universities.

Cambridge Demystified - Law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488

Oxford Demystified - Law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84921796&highlight=oxford%20demystified

I don't think there is one for Law yet but maybe the History or English one will help a bit?

@Oxford Mum will do a better job than me with helping you so I will tag her in.
@Sophie.qoh went to Cambridge for Law, so she can help a lot too.
Your research is a great place to start - the exam timetable did a lot to convince in favour of Cambridge.
I think there is a lot to be said for gut feeling. Both places will offer you a world-class education but you also have to live there for at least 3 years. I know it's really hard to get a feel for a city in the current circumstances but try your best? Also have a look at the colleges, the societies, the nightlife, opportunities for your hobbies, social life etc etc

I personally chose Cambridge largely because someone from my school went there and really sold me on St Catharine's as being so friendly and supportive - I knew the education aspect would be brilliant at both unis.

Ultimately you have to do what is right for you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or if there is anything else I can do :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by 5hyl33n
Hi!

I think one of the things we need to know is your GCSE results as Oxford tend to be more GCSE-heavy than Cambridge as you already know.

Here are chapters from Oxford Mum's Oxford demystified and Cambridge demystified which should definitely give a good insight into the two courses at the respective universities.

Cambridge Demystified - Law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6481488

Oxford Demystified - Law
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=84921796&highlight=oxford%20demystified

I don't think there is one for Law yet but maybe the History or English one will help a bit?

@Oxford Mum will do a better job than me with helping you so I will tag her in.
@Sophie.qoh went to Cambridge for Law, so she can help a lot too.

My gcse results were Eight grade 9s and two A*s (two of our exams still used A*-E system, but other eight used 9-1. thanks for thje links, will read now!
Reply 4
Original post by Sophie.qoh
Your research is a great place to start - the exam timetable did a lot to convince in favour of Cambridge.
I think there is a lot to be said for gut feeling. Both places will offer you a world-class education but you also have to live there for at least 3 years. I know it's really hard to get a feel for a city in the current circumstances but try your best? Also have a look at the colleges, the societies, the nightlife, opportunities for your hobbies, social life etc etc

I personally chose Cambridge largely because someone from my school went there and really sold me on St Catharine's as being so friendly and supportive - I knew the education aspect would be brilliant at both unis.

Ultimately you have to do what is right for you.

Let me know if you have any specific questions or if there is anything else I can do :smile:

sorry i just got back round to opening this thread!
Ive been to cambridge a few times and its a beautiful city but i cant say i got a gut feeling along the lines of " i wanna live here" if u get me, ive spoken to a 1 oxford and 1 cambridge student/graduate and theyve ofc both had positive things to say.
Ive heard the nightlife at oxford is a bit better, idk about the societies but i will deffo ask my oxford friend. theyre both roughly same distance from ldn too so going into the city for a proper nightlife or social experience wont differ too greatly.
I will get back to you with specific questions if thats okay! if its ok, what are u studying/ did you study at cambridge?
Original post by Sh0ts1
sorry i just got back round to opening this thread!
Ive been to cambridge a few times and its a beautiful city but i cant say i got a gut feeling along the lines of " i wanna live here" if u get me, ive spoken to a 1 oxford and 1 cambridge student/graduate and theyve ofc both had positive things to say.
Ive heard the nightlife at oxford is a bit better, idk about the societies but i will deffo ask my oxford friend. theyre both roughly same distance from ldn too so going into the city for a proper nightlife or social experience wont differ too greatly.
I will get back to you with specific questions if thats okay! if its ok, what are u studying/ did you study at cambridge?

So happy to finally be able to say that I will be taking up my offer to study law at St Catharine's in October
Original post by Sophie.qoh
So happy to finally be able to say that I will be taking up my offer to study law at St Catharine's in October

Hey, I'm a NatSci and I just came across this thread randomly, but I noticed you are going to Catz this year as well... It's funny we had the exact same reason to choose it - because it's apparently one of the friendliest colleges out there :smile: And the interviews or any interaction with them so far only confirmed this! Anyways, I'll be excited to meet you in October

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending