The Student Room Group

University admissions

I'm an international student applying for an undergraduate computer science degree, and I've been checking out courses in various universities. I've noticed that some of them have not mentioned their GCSE requirements. I would like to know what impact my GCSE grades will have on my application for courses where the GCSE grade requirement is not mentioned.
As I've mentioned before I'm an international student, so I've giver IGCSE's. Are they considered equivalent to GCSE grades when applying to the UK?
Reply 1
I think for most universities, except like Oxbridge, and if they haven't mentioned it, it doesn't factor in as much. I think that you do need to have passed english language and maths from what i have seen though. Some unis may tell you how much weighting they give GCSEs e.g at Bristol in their admissions statement it's 20% and alevels- 80%
Reply 2
Original post by lilo16
I think for most universities, except like Oxbridge, and if they haven't mentioned it, it doesn't factor in as much. I think that you do need to have passed english language and maths from what i have seen though. Some unis may tell you how much weighting they give GCSEs e.g at Bristol in their admissions statement it's 20% and alevels- 80%

I haven't seen any weighting given in the course pages I visited, I'll make sure to check again. Thank you for your reply and your time! I hope everything goes well at your end.
Reply 3
Original post by Israa.
I haven't seen any weighting given in the course pages I visited, I'll make sure to check again. Thank you for your reply and your time! I hope everything goes well at your end.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/study/media/undergraduate/admissions-statements/2020/computer-science.pdf
if you are interested in bristol
Original post by Israa.
I'm an international student applying for an undergraduate computer science degree, and I've been checking out courses in various universities. I've noticed that some of them have not mentioned their GCSE requirements. I would like to know what impact my GCSE grades will have on my application for courses where the GCSE grade requirement is not mentioned.
As I've mentioned before I'm an international student, so I've giver IGCSE's. Are they considered equivalent to GCSE grades when applying to the UK?

You should check the universities general admissions rules, as they likely have a minimum standard often around 5 GCSE with certain grades in English & Maths.
Reply 5

I am actually, thank you very much :h:.
Original post by Israa.

Yes, GCSE's and IGCSE's are considered the same in the UK.
Reply 7
Original post by Admit-One
Yes, GCSE's and IGCSE's are considered the same in the UK.

Thank you very much for your reply.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending