The Student Room Group

University of Glasgow Psychology (conversion) MSc: Online distance learning

Hello All,

I am considering applying to the University of Glasgow Psychology (conversion) MSc: Online distance learning course. I am a software engineer and have been working in the industry for a few years now and considering a career shift. I am looking to become a counselling or clinical psychologist. Since my degree is not in psychology, I was looking for conversion courses that are accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) to allow me to get the first step into further study in order to reach my goal.

I did some research on online conversion courses and Glasgow's course was the most appealing in terms of content and the quality of the university. Thought, it's longer than other programs (2.5 years). I didn't find any reviews on this online course from people who have taken it before. There are some reviews out there on the on campus full time course but not on the online one.

Did any one take/complete this course before? How did you (do you) find it? How is the workload, given that I am working full time? What did you do after completing the course? Was the reputation of Glasgow worth it?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi IssaHaddar, Hi everyone,
I'm in a similar situation at the moment, looking to change my career and get into psychology. I'm looking into MSc in Psychology of Mental Health (conversion programme) at the University of Edinburgh. I'm most concerned about getting into the doctorate course afterwards which I hear is very hard to do for clinical psychology as requires lots of relevant work experience or volunteering, and it's very hard to get a placement.
I wonder if it's same hard to become a counselling psychologist and requires as much time as a clinical psychology path with a 25% acceptance rate for doctorate courses... People are saying you should be prepared to apply 3 times over 3 years before you get into a doctorate course. Could anyone share your thoughts/experiences? Is a typical path to becoming a counselling psychologist very similar or different to clinical psychology?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by IssaHaddar
Hello All,

I am considering applying to the University of Glasgow Psychology (conversion) MSc: Online distance learning course. I am a software engineer and have been working in the industry for a few years now and considering a career shift. I am looking to become a counselling or clinical psychologist. Since my degree is not in psychology, I was looking for conversion courses that are accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS) to allow me to get the first step into further study in order to reach my goal.

I did some research on online conversion courses and Glasgow's course was the most appealing in terms of content and the quality of the university. Thought, it's longer than other programs (2.5 years). I didn't find any reviews on this online course from people who have taken it before. There are some reviews out there on the on campus full time course but not on the online one.

Did any one take/complete this course before? How did you (do you) find it? How is the workload, given that I am working full time? What did you do after completing the course? Was the reputation of Glasgow worth it?

Hi IssaHaddar,
I'm in the exact same situation as you! and would also love to hear some feedback/advice from students who did the conversion msc at Glasgow via distance learning and part time! I have other universities in mind but Glasgow is the best in terms of reputation (but also the longest as you said). I'm not sure how to choose!
Reply 3
Original post by aliceD4
Hi IssaHaddar,
I'm in the exact same situation as you! and would also love to hear some feedback/advice from students who did the conversion msc at Glasgow via distance learning and part time! I have other universities in mind but Glasgow is the best in terms of reputation (but also the longest as you said). I'm not sure how to choose!

hi @aliceD4
I am also considering Birkbeck Msc Psychology Conversion, it's one year full time in London delivered via face-to-face evening classes. The good thing is that the first term (October to December) is going to be online. Perhaps that can suite you too.
Reply 4
hi @aliceD4
I am also considering Birkbeck Msc Psychology Conversion, it's one year full time in London delivered via face-to-face evening classes. The good thing is that the first term (October to December) is going to be online. Perhaps that can suite you too.

Ah unfortunately that wouldn't suit me, as I am working full time in Ireland, so I really need the part time + distance learning options :smile: Which way are you leaning for yourself then?
Hi all,
I too am very tempted to go for the Glasgow 2.5 year conversion option but would also like to hear how students found it/are finding it.
Wondering whether or not I’d be better doing the 1 year Glasgow equivalent in person instead.
Reply 6
Original post by degetliffe
Hi all,
I too am very tempted to go for the Glasgow 2.5 year conversion option but would also like to hear how students found it/are finding it.
Wondering whether or not I’d be better doing the 1 year Glasgow equivalent in person instead.

Hi all, I have decided to accept the offer at Glasgow (2.5 year conversion via distance learning / part time) :smile:
Original post by aliceD4
Hi all, I have decided to accept the offer at Glasgow (2.5 year conversion via distance learning / part time) :smile:

I have received offer from Glasgow, Leicester, Northumbria, Brunel and Derby universities. I am leaning towards Glasgow. So hopefully we will be doing this together. I am from Ireland as well.
Reply 8
Original post by PsiFiIreland
I have received offer from Glasgow, Leicester, Northumbria, Brunel and Derby universities. I am leaning towards Glasgow. So hopefully we will be doing this together. I am from Ireland as well.

Hey @PsiFiIreland - deffo, let me know if you end up choosing Glasgow :smile:
Original post by aliceD4
Hey @PsiFiIreland - deffo, let me know if you end up choosing Glasgow :smile:

I think I’m leaning towards Glasgow distance learning 2.5 years too. They’ve been so organised and there’s an offer holders online event coming up and everything.
Reply 10
Hi! Also in the same position as you and have the same questions. Have you made any progress? I actually did my undergraduate/bachelor's at UoG. It is a good reputable university but I can't comment on the potential quality of an online degree. My main concern is the price. My impression is UoG, because of their reputation, they crank up the fees. I don't know if it's entirely worth that cost. Although the deadline is now closed for RGU, I am still considering it for next year. I haven't looked into any English universities. Let me know if you've made any progress! Cheers,Emma
You need to bear in mind that after those 2.5 years you probably won't get straight into clinical or counselling psychology doctorate programmes which themselves are 3 years. You'll probably need to get out there and get some experience working in a field that is relevant to those career paths.
I did a psychology degree, took a year out then completed a masters degree followed by a mental health related PhD before i got accepted onto a clinical psychology doctorate programme. In all my time working in mental health i have only know of 2 cases where an individual as went straight into clinical training after completing their undergraduate psychology degree.
Reply 12
Hello All,
Hell

Hello!
I am also in the same position as you with the same questions. Did you make any progress?
I studied my undergraduate/bachelor's at UoG. It is clearly a reputable university but I cannot comment on the quality of an online course, nor if the prestige of the university is an advantage in the psychology world.

I was also considering RGU although the deadline is now closed for this year. I have not considered English universities yet.
Let me know if you made any progress in the decision. Surely there must be more people discussing this!
Cheers
Emma
Reply 13
Original post by ggscottscott
You need to bear in mind that after those 2.5 years you probably won't get straight into clinical or counselling psychology doctorate programmes which themselves are 3 years. You'll probably need to get out there and get some experience working in a field that is relevant to those career paths.
I did a psychology degree, took a year out then completed a masters degree followed by a mental health related PhD before i got accepted onto a clinical psychology doctorate programme. In all my time working in mental health i have only know of 2 cases where an individual as went straight into clinical training after completing their undergraduate psychology degree.

Agreed.
Definitely need to get some relevant experience alongside the long-distance online psychology masters conversion course.
Do you have any advice on relevant jobs one could apply to if you're just starting your masters in psychology? (and your former education is not psychology)

Both myself and the person posing the Q have education and work experience in other professional environments.

I think the original question was more around which university to choose to do this masters conversion in psychology.
Generally speaking, which university did you choose and why?
Is it worth paying the fees to a relatively prestigious university such as University of Glasgow?
How was your PhD? Are you working now? How are you finding it all?

I'm so excited to move away from corporate engineering into psychology!
Reply 14
Original post by PsiFiIreland

Great! Well done!
I'm still deciding where to apply to!
Why are you leaning towards Glasgow?
Original post by eamackt
Hi! Also in the same position as you and have the same questions. Have you made any progress? I actually did my undergraduate/bachelor's at UoG. It is a good reputable university but I can't comment on the potential quality of an online degree. My main concern is the price. My impression is UoG, because of their reputation, they crank up the fees. I don't know if it's entirely worth that cost. Although the deadline is now closed for RGU, I am still considering it for next year. I haven't looked into any English universities. Let me know if you've made any progress! Cheers,Emma

I reached out to all of the universities who offered me a place to check more details on the content etc. TBH Glasgow seemed to have covered so much in their brochure and FAQs document, none other university had similar details. Course director at UoG was quick to reply. With others, it takes forever to hear back and what they send back feels like no one has thought through the details of the course. Northumbria was better than Leicester and others. But so far UoG sounds most promising. As for the fee and future career path, my reason to get into psychology is not to get into clinical practice so I am looking for something which provides quality grounding in the subject. Fees is more than others but then you also get to graduate from a relatively higher ranking university.
I finally went ahead and accepted UoG offer. Lets see how next 2-3 yr go!
Hi everyone,I was also wondering a number of the same questions as I have an offer from UofG and northumbria. One key thought I had was to do with the BPS accreditation, where every course has to meet their requirements anyway, therefore making reputation possibly less relevant than for others courses. This in addition with taking an extra 6 months, and costing £15000 vs £7500 makes me think that the northumbria course would be more worth. I assume that, if your grade is still good, that it shouldnt hinder your progress later down the line. After all, if you got 80% from northumbria vs someone else who got 55% lets say, from UofG, I cant see why they would rather the latter candidate purely from an academic perspective. Can anyone with experience comment on this?
Original post by eamackt

Hi Emma,

I have copy and pasted an email I received from the clinical psychologist at Leeds hospital, think it answers the prestige question nicely.

Hi Lee

Sorry for the delay. I have been on holiday and just returned.

I don’t think there is a prestige factor anymore. I think what is critical is that the course is accredited or recognised by the BPS as bestowing the graduate basis for registration. To progress professionally, without requiring a further MSc (although many graduates do undertake one), you need to focus on getting a 2:1 or First. These two factors are much more important than the ‘old school tie’ as it were.

Hope this is helpful.

Glasgow is a fantastic place to be a student though. I was there, but being born there, passed on the costs of my upkeep to my parents!

With all good wishes
Interesting ... am considering MMU MSc distance (probs FT) or UOM FT MEd on campus. Both give BPS. Glasgow looks good but is too long - I need to get on so am going to try to in one year. But ... I have emailed them to check vacancies but I don’t know yet .
Anyone just getting on a course now?

Quick Reply

Latest