The Student Room Group

What do you think of people that fly abroad during this time?

I think there putting themselves more at risk of catching covid and better to wait until next year when it's safe. What do you think of people that fly abroad during this time?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
I think there putting themselves more at risk of catching covid and better to wait until next year when it's safe. What do you think of people that fly abroad during this time?

They are fed up and willing to take the risk of at least ending up in qurantine for 2 weeks when they get back or getting caught up in a Corona spike in the holiday country.
Kind of seems like their priorities are a little skewed at the moment :dontknow:
It depends. 'Flying abroad' is too general.

If you're going on holiday, then yes you should think very carefully about it and maybe wait until things have improved. But what about people going abroad using other means? Eurotunnel for example are offering 'contact-free travel' since you stay in your car, and driving to your destination(if possible) would be very low risk. Is that the same as people flying for holidays?

However, people need to fly for many reasons, not all of them leisure-related. People returning for work, going to visit family abroad, family emergencies like bereavement etc. So I won't engage in blanket judgment of those travelling at the moment since we don't know everyone's circumstances.
Reply 4
Original post by gutenberg
It depends. 'Flying abroad' is too general.

If you're going on holiday, then yes you should think very carefully about it and maybe wait until things have improved. But what about people going abroad using other means? Eurotunnel for example are offering 'contact-free travel' since you stay in your car, and driving to your destination(if possible) would be very low risk. Is that the same as people flying for holidays?

However, people need to fly for many reasons, not all of them leisure-related. People returning for work, going to visit family abroad, family emergencies like bereavement etc. So I won't engage in blanket judgment of those travelling at the moment since we don't know everyone's circumstances.

This is true, but caution is still needed because getting Corona ain't fun obviously.
For recreation? seems bloody stupid.
Original post by mgi
This is true, but caution is still needed because getting Corona ain't fun obviously.

Many people get corona and don't even realize it. You and your family/whoever you're living with could have had coronavirus, and perhaps you didn't realize it. Even of the small number of people who get it and it affects them enough for them to have symptoms, an even smaller percentage of those actually suffer severely. And those who die are usually those with underlying conditions/ those who would have passed on regardless of corona.
Yes, it's not fun, but it isn't an extremely giant risk or life-threatening to most.
I think they need their head examining!
Very messy.
Reply 9
Maybe you are not aerodynamic!
it depends where to
Reply 11
You may not have " a lightweight skeleton made of mostly thin and hollow bones. The keel-shaped sternum (breastbone) is where the powerful flight muscles attach to the body. ... " And you may not have powerful enough breast muscles? Just wondering? lol.
I think they need their head examining!

Or picture I a situation where somebody had booked a holiday and isn’t too keen on going but if they don’t and they cancel it they lose about £2000+ . I don’t really agree with spontaneous bookings atm but my holiday couldn’t be cancelled as I tried so many ways to before I had to head out to avoid wasting a lot of money
Reply 13
I've seen a couple of mates go on holiday and I'm in two minds tbh.

Like yeah I get it. We want some normality in life.

But it's really not the time rn. At the end of the day it's their call tbf
Or picture I a situation where somebody had booked a holiday and isn’t too keen on going but if they don’t and they cancel it they lose about £2000+ . I don’t really agree with spontaneous bookings atm but my holiday couldn’t be cancelled as I tried so many ways to before I had to head out to avoid wasting a lot of money

I would rather lose £2000+ money than lose my life or put anyone else in jeopardy.
Reply 15

actually you have a legal right to cancel a holiday without losing money- unless its last minute or that Corona had nothing to do with it. The hoiday provider and airline cannot legally just keep your money.
Original post by mgi
They are fed up and willing to take the risk of at least ending up in qurantine for 2 weeks when they get back or getting caught up in a Corona spike in the holiday country.

Those going abroad for non essential reasons are completely lacking common sense.
Reply 17
Those going abroad for non essential reasons are completely lacking common sense.

or as in some cases, they don't care!? look at the number of people still ignoring the rules about wearing masks!
Original post by mgi
actually you have a legal right to cancel a holiday without losing money- unless its last minute or that Corona had nothing to do with it. The hoiday provider and airline cannot legally just keep your money.

It was Ryanair and the flight was still running so there was nothing to do apart from put a thing into insurance to wait 60 days to find out what happens which could be them just rejecting getting any sort of money back . The insurance said I’d not get it back most likely
I would rather lose £2000+ money than lose my life or put anyone else in jeopardy.

Who am I putting in jeoprady? And maybe it’s ok for you to sit at home and waste that money but it’s not the case for others

Quick Reply

Latest