The Student Room Group

A dentist gets braces! AMA!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Kubsyy
Good luck, I have my braces since january and the first few weeks were painful as I had to eat soft food and it was horrible

Thank you!

I'm eating soft foods currently because of the tenderness to biting and I don't want to damage the brackets.
How long is your treatment for?
Everyone doesn't get braces, and everyone doesn't act surprised when others get braces.
how much was it
Original post by Mangomilkshake
Oh gosh! What an experience you've had!

Nickel allergy is quite a big concern for us dentists. I'm glad that you now know that it was the nickel.

When it comes to braces for adults, there are three main options:
Fixed options, these stay on your teeth, you can't remove them as you wish:
1. Metal ones - cheapest but as you have said, they are very visible.
2. Ceramic/tooth coloured - more expensive than metal ones but more subtle. Ceramic also stains so you have to avoid curry etc. I have ceramic ones.

Removeable:
3. Invisalign/ clear aligners - a bit like retainers, you can remove them when you want but they are the most expensive. The range and type of movement is a bit more restricted with Invisalign compared to the metal or ceramic ones. However the technology is constantly developing and they do work really well with some cases. You'd have to speak with your orthodontist whether Invisalign is good for you, I can't say without seeing your teeth and plus, I'm not an orthodontist.

I did not want the metal ones so for me the choice was between ceramic and Invisalign. My pain threshold is -1000 (I stub my toe and lie in bed for 3 hours). Invisalign requires very good compliance from the patient and confidence that you will wear your aligners for 22+hours a day. For me, I knew that as soon as it started becoming sore, I'd just remove the aligners so I didn't trust myself with Invisalign. So I needed something fixed and ceramic was the answer for me.

If you like, I can expand more on the type of braces and I hope this helps! :smile:

This is very helpful - thank you very much :smile:
So far, so good! No major pain, just a little tender to bite. I'm more concerned about food getting stuck for now but people keep telling me it'll become very sore when I get them tightened in September.

lucky you! i remember the pain even though i got braces years ago and had them a very long time. mine didn't hurt, only very slightly when i got them tightened though, only when i got them on. it's different for everyone.
Thank you!

I'm eating soft foods currently because of the tenderness to biting and I don't want to damage the brackets.
How long is your treatment for?

My orthodontist said that I will have them for 2 years as far as I remember.
Original post by Fascnioerasi
Everyone doesn't get braces, and everyone doesn't act surprised when others get braces.

Nobody at work really noticed today until I stood there grinning ear to ear! It helps that they are ceramic.
Original post by karl pilkington
how much was it

£3060.
Includes top and bottom ceramic braces, free tooth whitening at the end, two hygienist visits and top and bottom retainers at the end.
Bargain!
Original post by rxyaltyx
lucky you! i remember the pain even though i got braces years ago and had them a very long time. mine didn't hurt, only very slightly when i got them tightened though, only when i got them on. it's different for everyone.

It's getting sore now. I'm sat here with a blueberry in my mouth but it hurts to bite down. :/
Original post by Kubsyy
My orthodontist said that I will have them for 2 years as far as I remember.

Most orthodontic treatment lasts for 18-24 months.
Are you having any teeth out?
It's getting sore now. I'm sat here with a blueberry in my mouth but it hurts to bite down. :/

ouch
i used to eat ice cream and ice lollies to soothe the pain, maybe you could try that?
Original post by rxyaltyx
ouch
i used to eat ice cream and ice lollies to soothe the pain, maybe you could try that?

Most braces have heat activated wires so cold things help soothe the pain.
I'm trying to cut down on sugar but yes, I will look at low sugar ice cream or even iced water.
Thank you! :smile:
Most braces have heat activated wires so cold things help soothe the pain.
I'm trying to cut down on sugar but yes, I will look at low sugar ice cream or even iced water.
Thank you! :smile:

no problem!
Most orthodontic treatment lasts for 18-24 months.
Are you having any teeth out?

No.
Original post by Kubsyy
No.

Great! Non-extraction approach is the best.
Best of luck! :smile:
I now know that cereal bars/protein bars are a big no-no with braces!
I'm just blending a lot of stuff at the moment and drinking through a straw. Now that the gyms have opened up too, I'm hoping to get absolutely ripped as I can't snack all the time!

Yeah, I think I will be. I've only been on here a few days and I have received very helpful advice. I'm no longer a student but it's a nice forum to connect with graduates too. :smile:

Ooo yes, I should've warned you about that. :laugh:

That's great! See you around TSR!
£3060.
Includes top and bottom ceramic braces, free tooth whitening at the end, two hygienist visits and top and bottom retainers at the end.
Bargain!

Can you see them where you are wearing them?
Original post by karl pilkington
Can you see them where you are wearing them?

For me, yes. I can tell and feel that I'm wearing them.

But when I went to work, nobody noticed until I stood grinning from ear-to-ear like a psycho. Many people have commented on how subtle they are and how they could barely see the braces.

If you're concerned about aesthetics then maybe Invisalign might be a better option for you? (This depends on whether you're suitable for it).

Quick Reply

Latest