The Student Room Group

Raf Aircraft Technician (Mechanical) ANYONE?!

Hi all,

I’ve been considering applying for a role in the RAF with the aircraft technician (mechanical) being my preference, though I would have no problem considering other roles too.

However, I have had mild asthma since a child. I’ve never been hospitalised from it, and regularly run 50+ miles a week, so fitness wise it’s never caused me a problem. Am I wasting my time applying, or will my application still have a chance?

Thanks
Reply 1
I looked at applying to the royal navy about 10 years ago. Asthma was an instant medical fail then. Needed to be 4 years without asthma. So joined merchant navy instead. Obviously medical requirements might have changed since then.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by DL28
Hi all,

I’ve been considering applying for a role in the RAF with the aircraft technician (mechanical) being my preference, though I would have no problem considering other roles too.

However, I have had mild asthma since a child. I’ve never been hospitalised from it, and regularly run 50+ miles a week, so fitness wise it’s never caused me a problem. Am I wasting my time applying, or will my application still have a chance?

Thanks

Depends on too many factors for anyone here to comment. Nobody here is a medic with the exact RAF standards to hand, nor do they know your medical history with it.

The only way you'll know is by starting an application.
Original post by DL28
Hi all,

Thanks

Hi

From your post you're stating that you still have asthma? If so, it will be a bar to entry. There are exceptions depending on your age and the last time you had symptoms/prescriptions. But if you still have it then it will preclude entry to service.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment
Reply 4
Original post by RAF_Adam
Hi

From your post you're stating that you still have asthma? If so, it will be a bar to entry. There are exceptions depending on your age and the last time you had symptoms/prescriptions. But if you still have it then it will preclude entry to service.

Kind regards
Adam
RAF Recruitment

I’m guessing a prescription for an inhaler within the last 12 months is a 100% no then?

Thanks for the reply
Reply 5
Original post by DL28
I’m guessing a prescription for an inhaler within the last 12 months is a 100% no then?

Thanks for the reply

Yes, a current prescription will stop you joining.

We have people come on here saying they have an inhaler but don't use it, but even that makes no difference as there is only their word for it. If asthma requires a prescription from a doctor, that is what is considered.
Reply 6
Original post by DL28

Thanks for the reply

Oh yeah, that'll stop you.

Possibly talk to your doctor about no longer having the prescription and then waiting a few years, then you'll have a shot. But otherwise it's a no go.

Quick Reply

Latest