The Student Room Group

weight loss: size 6

i'm about 5'2 or 5'3 looking to be a size 6. what's the weight i should aim for? thank u :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
i'm about 5'2 or 5'3 looking to be a size 6. what's the weight i should aim for? thank u :smile:

sorry, i meant size 6 UK!!! english sizes :biggrin:
Size 6 isn't a good size to aim for, for most women, to be a Size 6 is very likely to mean that they are underweight in a way which would lead to poor health.

I don't understand why someone would want to be a Size 6, to be honest.

How old are you?
There is no target weight goal as it all depends on how you carry your weight.
Aim to be fit and healthy- do some exercise and eat well. That is a better approach then aiming to fit into clothes which are size 6
Reply 4
Size 6 isn't a good size to aim for, for most women, to be a Size 6 is very likely to mean that they are underweight in a way which would lead to poor health.

How old are you?

i'm 17, and as i said i'm quite short. a size 6 for someone taller, like 5'8, would be unhealthy but for my height, it's different.
Reply 5
Original post by AzureCeleste
There is no target weight goal as it all depends on how you carry your weight.
Aim to be fit and healthy- do some exercise and eat well. That is a better approach then aiming to fit into clothes which are size 6

i carry it mainly in my thighs/stomach, I'm quite a lot smaller from my waist up. i understand this but it's good for me personally to have a goal like that as it's motivating, i mean i could get to a size 8 and think that's good so I'll stop there. i just would like to know what weight people at size 6 UK tend to be as the internet is quite conflicting :smile:
i'm 17, and as i said i'm quite short. a size 6 for someone taller, like 5'8, would be unhealthy but for my height, it's different.

How much do you weigh now?
I was 47-49 kg
Reply 8
How much do you weigh now?

roughly 55kg, probably a bit more i haven't checked in a while
Well I’m 5’6, 54kg and a size 6 so for your height I only imagine you’d have to weigh so much less but that’d put you in the underweight category so I really wouldn’t recommend it.
roughly 55kg, probably a bit more i haven't checked in a while

That's a healthy weight - check here:

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/healthy-weight/bmi-calculator/
size 6 doesn’t necessarily mean you’re underweight… I’m 5’4 perfectly healthy just slim-built 🤷🏼*♀️
size 6 doesn’t necessarily mean you’re underweight… I’m 5’4 perfectly healthy just slim-built 🤷🏼*♀️

exactly :smile: x
Well I’m 5’6, 54kg and a size 6 so for your height I only imagine you’d have to weigh so much less but that’d put you in the underweight category so I really wouldn’t recommend it.

ah i see. well size 6 is just a goal as i said i might get to size 8 and be happy, so it's very vague.
Reply 14

How old are you?

not very true, as there are lots of women that are that size naturally and do not look extremely skinny and they are also in good health. Its all about fat distribution in the body, which makes them slim looking.

OP i would say focus more on being healthy, but if you really want to go for a size six go for it, as long as you get there healthily and don't starve yourself it is more than fine! I personally am a size 6 and 5'7 but since i do a fair amount of sports i don't look too skinny but more on the slim side and i still get called skinny or even anorexic, so i would say going for a size 8 gets a lot less of those comments - but its up to preference. :smile:

I'm around 55kg :smile:
I agree.

I think that what I meant was that there are some women who are a Size 6 and underweight in a way which could lead to poor health and that it's important not to let your weight drop too low. There are some women who are a Size 6 and whose weight falls into the acceptable range and who are healthy.

The NHS website says that a BMI under 18.5 is considered underweight. If someone has a BMI over 18.5 and is a Size 6, they would be in the 'healthy range'.
Hi, I just read the rest of the thread and I really strongly urge you not to lose weight!You've said that you're already only 55kg, this is pretty small for your height and its considered a very healthy weight.As well as this, you're only 17 so you haven't finished growing at all- I know this depends on how fast a developer you are but it takes different times for every women for their bodies to stop changing (I was about 22 when I stopped changing!).

It wouldn't be great to lose any weight now- especially as you definitely don't need to. In fact it might even be dangerous for you to do so. If you go on a diet now, I guarantee you will lose your boobs! I see it all the time and it even happened to me.

You're body gets rid of unneccessary weight first, so you'll lose your boobs and bum and only a little around where you said you want to (you can't spot reduce fat!)

You could also risk losing your period or developing an eating disorder. This most commonly (not all the time) happens when girls lose weight when they don't need to (like you!)

I don't want to sound rude, so please don't take this the wrong way- but from first and second hand experience I wouldn't go there.However, bottom line is I honestly think you are literally perfect right now- you're every girl your age and height's goal weight, losing more will do more harm than good and you'll probably feel even more insecure.

Please embrace your slim build, you don't need to be skinny- very few people can be skinny without losing all of their womanhood as well. If you were made to be size 6 you would be already. But the fact is that if you dropped the weight to be a smaller size, you'd just look like a child again.(btw size really means jackshit- please don't base your worth/beauty on it, its a SIZE)

I'm not saying this for any reason other than to help you out because as I said- I've been in your shoes!!! I assure you you are gorgeous right now. You will not look/feel better by dropping a couple pounds.

Give it time as well- I think its VERY possible you're suffering from body dismorphia and think you look bigger than you are. I really strongly doubt anyone in real life or online would think you should lose weight. Maybe look into help for BD?

In time, your body will change and distribute its weight more evenly. You've just left school and that's saying a lot.
You're not going to look like the way you do forever. Let your body do its thing and i promise, once you work on your mental health you'll learn to embrace your body and once you've done that you'll find that actually you like the way it turned out, because you let it develop into a woman.

I really hope I haven't sounded rude or patronising but I really wanted to get my points across because I hate seeing girls like you feel this way. I just don't want you to end up miserable- you deserve the truth and to be happy. I swear on my life, this is all truth, I have no reason to lie. I wish you the best.xxx
(edited 3 years ago)

Size 6 is the perfect size for 5'2 / 5'3. Im the same height and I weigh around 49kg and fit size 6 perfectly.

Size 4 is just not maintainable. I've tried losing weight more but it's just not worth it. You end up yoyo-ing with your sizes. So size 6 is definitely on the safe side.
Original post by Michelle_W
Size 6 is the perfect size for 5'2 / 5'3. Im the same height and I weigh around 49kg and fit size 6 perfectly.

Size 4 is just not maintainable. I've tried losing weight more but it's just not worth it. You end up yoyo-ing with your sizes. So size 6 is definitely on the safe side.

Did you really just say 'the perfect size'?? I'm sorry but if anyone on here seriously thinks there's a perfect size can you please go and educate yourself because this is a really stupid thing to say. Not everyone carries weight the same way- even if they are the same size.

Also, I hate to break it to you- but there's no such thing as a perfect size- unless you mean what society deems as perfect?

This is a really damaging and toxic thing to say- please leave discussions like this and educate yourself before you infect other girls with your way of thinking.

She doesn't actually need to fit into that size, she's already small, why does she have to be skinny?
Did you really just say 'the perfect size'?? I'm sorry but if anyone on here seriously thinks there's a perfect size can you please go and educate yourself because this is a really stupid thing to say. Not everyone carries weight the same way- even if they are the same size.

Also, I hate to break it to you- but there's no such thing as a perfect size- unless you mean what society deems as perfect?

This is a really damaging and toxic thing to say- please leave discussions like this and educate yourself before you infect other girls with your way of thinking.

She doesn't actually need to fit into that size, she's already small, why does she have to be skinny?

even if they are the same height*

Quick Reply