The Student Room Group

First time drawing a face...

I just wanted to share my drawing of a face as it was the most frustrating thing I have ever drawn, I'm more of a half-realistic half-fictional artist. Meaning I draw people, items that look real, but also don't. This time I wanted to push myself and draw a realistic face. There are a lot of things wrong about this drawing, but I'm just glad I have finished:redface:.
Hrithik Roshan Drawing.PNG

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Zain_Ahmed
I just wanted to share my drawing of a face as it was the most frustrating thing I have ever drawn, I'm more of a half-realistic half-fictional artist. Meaning I draw people, items that look real, but also don't. This time I wanted to push myself and draw a realistic face. There are a lot of things wrong about this drawing, but I'm just glad I have finished:redface:.

I have no knowledge on the subject of art - but where I stand it looks pretty good!
Reply 2

Wow! That’s your first time drawing a realistic face!? That’s incredible! What did you find was your biggest challenge? Did you find perception when drawing changed slightly as you adjusted to a newer style? I’m a big fan of drawing myself, mainly animals and mythical creatures though :h:

wow i rly like it. its super realistic apart from the eyes. dunno exactly what it is about them, maybe the line is too strong and they are too lengthy. but otherwise good job!
Reply 4
Original post by Moonbow
Wow! That’s your first time drawing a realistic face!? That’s incredible! What did you find was your biggest challenge? Did you find perception when drawing changed slightly as you adjusted to a newer style? I’m a big fan of drawing myself, mainly animals and mythical creatures though :h:

Ye thanks:u:. The biggest challenge was getting things in the right proportion, like the lips... Those took me 2 hours atleast, and they still dont look as good as I wanted them. Realism, I have realised, cant be rushed. Unlike my other drawings where I would rush them at the and and it would still look professional. This took me 3 days, each day I spent from 1PM - 6PM with a couple of 15 min breaks. I usually draw superheroes or singers, here's an example of my previous drawing of a singer.
sickick drawing.jpg
Reply 5
Original post by Lemonsandlemons
wow i rly like it. its super realistic apart from the eyes. dunno exactly what it is about them, maybe the line is too strong and they are too lengthy. but otherwise good job!

ye, the eyes need more of a glossy look and they are bigger than they should be. I tried, but I still doesn't look as realistic as the rest of the face.
Reply 6
Bump
Reply 7
The drawing is good.
Reply 8
that is so good! i really like the shading, good job!!
i can't draw people so i stick to inanimate objects lol
It's good but I think working on your shading would help :smile: the eyes look quite flat and dead, have a go at doing some eye studies on their own
Original post by CoolCavy
It's good but I think working on your shading would help :smile: the eyes look quite flat and dead, have a go at doing some eye studies on their own

Ye i agree. I just randomly did a portrait for a competition, which from the start ik i wouldnt win but still wanted to try. The competition is until 3rd august and I do need to study more into shading and not wing it😂😂
Reply 11
Nice job, I remember trying my first proper portrait last year :lol: As tips id say nothing in real life has actually dark borders if it makes sense, so instead of drawing the neck line (as an example) shade it, also try to add a few more tones and lines of varied thicknesses on the hair for slightly more realism.
Well done :’)
9/10 I wish it looked more realistic and not drawn on brown paper. It reminds me somewhat of James Blunt.
no bad really good
Original post by TSR Professor
9/10 I wish it looked more realistic and not drawn on brown paper. It reminds me somewhat of James Blunt.

Ye, I tried.. But it still isn't as realistic as I wanted. As others have said, the eyes are what makes it unrealistic. Plus I need to press harder on the 4B pencil so that it has a darker shade. 9/10 is mad tho, nice one
Ye, I tried.. But it still isn't as realistic as I wanted. As others have said, the eyes are what makes it unrealistic. Plus I need to press harder on the 4B pencil so that it has a darker shade. 9/10 is mad tho, nice one

Well you clearly have a talent, so don't give up. Just believe in yourself and don't let negative comments get you down, because you could make this image better and draw more fantastic images.
@All
Decided to draw him again.
IMG_20200731_183828.jpg
hi!!!
wow you've improved so much! already!
i love how you drew the glasses and you've really nailed the reflective quality of it!
keep it up!!!!! :h: :biggrin:
(edited 3 years ago)
That's a really big improvement :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest