The Student Room Group

Is this normal?

So I have not had my period for 6 months now. The last time I did was in January.
I am a virgin btw.

I'm wondering if this is normal?
that not normal,,, ask your doctor

can you help?????
Your period can be irregular for a lot of different reasons (besides pregnancy) such as stress, exercising, gaining or losing weight, being sick, taking certain medications, or having a hormone imbalance. It’s a good idea to keep track of your cycles and talk to your health provider about your periods.
Reply 3
If you're quite young and recently started it can be pretty irregular (there was a point when I didn't have mine for 4 months when I was 13) but maybe talk to a doctor in case because 6 months is pretty long. And if you're older and it should have stabilised by now definitely talk to a doctor.
How many periods have you had before? It's normal for a girl to have her first period and then nothing for a few months, or have a few irregular ones and then a longer break before she gets into a regular cycle. But if you've already got into the cycle of having normal periods and then skipped six months then no, that's not normal, and you should see your GP.
Reply 5
Original post by spqr101
If you're quite young and recently started it can be pretty irregular (there was a point when I didn't have mine for 4 months when I was 13) but maybe talk to a doctor in case because 6 months is pretty long. And if you're older and it should have stabilised by now definitely talk to a doctor.

I'm 17. Do you think I should contact my doctor/GP?
Original post by Anonymous

yes
Reply 7
Original post by Anonymous

If you've stabilised and have a regular cycle normally then yes.
Reply 8
No, talk to your GP.
(edited 3 years ago)
no that's not normal, make an appointment with a gp
It’s not standard but probably fine. Maybe due to over exercise or under weight maybe?
Just see the doctor to get things checked.
if you are young then ur period can vary, however, if you are older that is quite unusual?
Reply 12
I was referring to where the OP asked 'should I talk to my GP'
not normal
Original post by Catherine1973
It’s not standard but probably fine. Maybe due to over exercise or under weight maybe?
Just see the doctor to get things checked.

Its not fine - even if its due to being underweight its really bad long term. Fracture risk in particular.

As you say, GP.
Well to be fair most women don’t have periods for most of their life now due to long term contraceptives. Does no harm, though need to keep an eye on bone density.
But yes see a gp.
Original post by Catherine1973
Well to be fair most women don’t have periods for most of their life now due to long term contraceptives. Does no harm, though need to keep an eye on bone density.
But yes see a gp.

Its not the period itself its about peak oestrogen levels - you wouldn't expect it to be a problem if its due to contraception. If its low body weight or excessive exercise though its estimated you lose 2% bone density for each year its happening.

Quick Reply

Latest