The Student Room Group

DVLA Covid Situation

About a month ago on the 26th July i completed an online application for my provisional license and sent off my passport with the paper application that was sent to me off on the following monday using first class royal mail.

Although i understand the situation regarding Covid and the limited number of people working, it's been over a month since my initial application and i have not heard or seen anything yet. I tried to contact them through phone on over 20 different occasions but it comes up saying 'user busy' each time, the email services are not in service due to covid and its the same for the web quieries.
My tracking page still says awaiting return application form and i know this only changes when the licence is issued but it's getting quite stressful as i don't have any current valid ID apart from the one i sent off, and i will soon need it in the next two months as i am flying back to my country to renew my passport.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on things i could or should do??

Any feedback is good feedback, thank youu!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I've seen people have some luck contacting them on twitter. I don't know about the delays, they still have reduced staff at their offices so it's inevitable. Their government page also says paper applications will be delayed; If you have sent in a paper application you do not need to contact us, but you will have to wait longer for a reply. I can't imagine it'll take another 2 months though. All their pages say that if you've sent in an application, you don't need to contact them and it's being processed as quickly as possible. It usually takes 1-2 weeks, but I'm guessing they've got quite a backlog of applications at the moment.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DVLAgovuk

Sorry you have to deal with this, good luck :yeah:
I'm in a similar situation and well. Its been a little more than a month since I sent it via a 1st class post and the tracker still hasn't updated. Due to the fact that I didn't use special delivery, I cant track whether they have it or not. And also I heard that they go over the special delivery stuff first so I'm worried about when I will get it as I'm also in need of my ID back. I have also been unable to get any hold of them as the lines are always busy and the email services are unavailable. But can u please update me on the progress of your application as I feel like our situation is quite similar.

Thanks
Original post by Broque_
I've seen people have some luck contacting them on twitter. I don't know about the delays, they still have reduced staff at their offices so it's inevitable. Their government page also says paper applications will be delayed; If you have sent in a paper application you do not need to contact us, but you will have to wait longer for a reply. I can't imagine it'll take another 2 months though. All their pages say that if you've sent in an application, you don't need to contact them and it's being processed as quickly as possible. It usually takes 1-2 weeks, but I'm guessing they've got quite a backlog of applications at the moment.

Twitter: https://twitter.com/DVLAgovuk

Sorry you have to deal with this, good luck :yeah:

Thank you!

I will give it a shot through twitter, although im close to loosing all hope now.
It's approaching the 5 weeks mark and i wish there was atleast a way of knowing what the current status of it is or a way to contact them that actually works, praying for the best though!
Original post by BlackCaster
I'm in a similar situation and well. Its been a little more than a month since I sent it via a 1st class post and the tracker still hasn't updated. Due to the fact that I didn't use special delivery, I cant track whether they have it or not. And also I heard that they go over the special delivery stuff first so I'm worried about when I will get it as I'm also in need of my ID back. I have also been unable to get any hold of them as the lines are always busy and the email services are unavailable. But can u please update me on the progress of your application as I feel like our situation is quite similar.

Thanks

I will do, it seems like we're in the exact situation so i suppose there's some comfort in that! a family member sent my id off and they didn't use special delivery either..
Although i assume they have it since i have not gotten any info about a refund for the application (supposedly comes through after 21 days from the initial start of the application), so there is slight hope afterall!

I'll keep trying to contact them, i'll let you know if there's any progress at all!
Hey, I just checked my tracker and its now been updated so I think yours should also be done in a couple of days as well. Good Luck!!
Hey, I just checked my tracker and its now been updated so I think yours should also be done in a couple of days as well. Good Luck!!

hey when did you send yours off? I sent mine on the 5th July and still haven't received it
Reply 7
Im in same situation,sent everything on 07 July still nothing, I did sent special delivery. Very frustrating as I'm in need of my ID more then the actual license.
(edited 3 years ago)
I sent mine in 30th June. And I got the licence today and I got my ID the day before yesterday.
Reply 9
I sent mine in 30th June. And I got the licence today and I got my ID the day before yesterday.

Thanks. So there is hope I will get my ID back in couple of days.
Original post by Didi93
Thanks. So there is hope I will get my ID back in couple of days.

Well, hopefully, but again it depends on how consistent the DVLA is with responding in order according to the date they got the form. Cuz TheAnimalArtist said they sent it before me ( assuming that they sent it in June as they said it was a month prior) but we don't know if they have got theirs back yet.

But again I don't think that it should take much longer now. Good Luck!!!
Reply 11
Original post by TheAnimalArtist
About a month ago on the 26th July i completed an online application for my provisional license and sent off my passport with the paper application that was sent to me off on the following monday using first class royal mail.

Although i understand the situation regarding Covid and the limited number of people working, it's been over a month since my initial application and i have not heard or seen anything yet. I tried to contact them through phone on over 20 different occasions but it comes up saying 'user busy' each time, the email services are not in service due to covid and its the same for the web quieries.
My tracking page still says awaiting return application form and i know this only changes when the licence is issued but it's getting quite stressful as i don't have any current valid ID apart from the one i sent off, and i will soon need it in the next two months as i am flying back to my country to renew my passport.

Does anyone have any advice or tips on things i could or should do??

Any feedback is good feedback, thank youu!

Have you received maybe ?
Reply 12
Status changed ! License issued . I sent everything on 6th July. If it helps anyone 😉
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Didi93
Status changed ! License issued . I sent everything on 6th July. If it helps anyone 😉

Same date as my so fingers crossed mine changes soon!
Yep I got mine last night aswell, both provisional and original id

Thank god for that lol only took 6 weeks 😔
I sent mine off on the 15th of June and still not heard anything. Its been over 8 weeks!! I've called them multiple times but they weren't helpful at all and couldn't tell me anything, do you think I should cancel and try again?
Do you need your ID sometime soon? Cuz they make take some time canceling the application as well.

Original post by ellagc03
I sent mine off on the 15th of June and still not heard anything. Its been over 8 weeks!! I've called them multiple times but they weren't helpful at all and couldn't tell me anything, do you think I should cancel and try again?
Original post by Didi93

How long does it take to get your provisional after the tracker has been updated?
Original post by boyfresh123
How long does it take to get your provisional after the tracker has been updated?

a few days... has your status changed? when did you apply
Original post by ellagc03

any update?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending