The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by JohanGRK
damn philosophers :motz:i have friends getting similar marks in their philosophy modules at my uni and I'm jealous

Provided you have a good grip of the arguments and can limit the amount of pointless shite you chat, it's pretty straightforward. I think, anyway. That's what I try to drum into the young yins.

With that said, we don't see many 80s over a year, so they don't pay any frigging attention :laugh:
(edited 5 years ago)
Do you read all references till the end ? I find that difficult. Also, do you have tips on searching for articles or searching articles that have authors putting out different views?
Original post by LizzieTwoShoes
I've got a 98% in an Essay on Breast Cancer metastasis for my first year.

I made a very detailed plan before I started and only used books or research papers related to the topic which was worth about 20% of the grade just on references.

I also made so many drafts and rechecked it continuously for the two weeks we had to complete it.

In other modules I've gotten 84%, 89% etc.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Can you break down your plan and explain each bit -- that would be super helpful
Thank you.
I recently received an 88% on an essay in a second year social psychology course. The Prof's remarks gave the impression the organization of the essay was key.
"Good use of headings and organization of information. Your paper was very easy to follow and the perfect length!"

Often, especially in social sciences, we want to write in a poetic or otherwise "interesting" way, but concise and methodological organization will get you points with the marker.
Always aim for the maximum length or slightly less, while still being concise. Edit out everything that isn't necessary. For a 2000 word essay, I've often written 3000 only to edit out 1000 unnecessary words. Minimum length essays tend to get lower marks.

Do some relevant "above and beyond" research, rather than just assigned readings, to show you've really done your work. It can also help you to add novel points in your paper that other students won't have. Creative angles that distinguish your paper from the possibly hundreds of other essays, a mark of idiosyncrasy, will definitely help your mark. Engage deeply and critically with your sources rather than superficially touching upon a large number of sources.

And of course ... use an online grammar checker (even if they are limited). Get somebody knowledgeable to do a proof-read if possible.
I got an 80 today! It was in a humanities module, Cultural Economics: How the Arts Work, problem is I am a film studies student. I always seem to perform better in my electives which makes me wonder if I chose the wrong subject...
Reply 45
./
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 46
would I be able to have a read of one of your essays please ?
Original post by Taitay
would I be able to have a read of one of your essays please ?

Someone elses essay wont be relevant to you. Besides this thread is 3+ years old.

If you want to get 80+ you need to go through the assignment brief and marking criteria and in every category go above and beyond the expectation.
Reply 48
Original post by mnot
Someone elses essay wont be relevant to you. Besides this thread is 3+ years old.

If you want to get 80+ you need to go through the assignment brief and marking criteria and in every category go above and beyond the expectation.

I get that, but it is still good to see practically what lecturers are expecting. But thanks for your suggestion I'll be doing that also x
Reply 49
I got 85 in a masters essay and 82 in a cell biology essay :smile:
our marking guide mentions that marks can be maximum of 85, then 78 is the next mark down (then 75/72). so i assume its very very hard to get the 85 (think 1-2 people get it out of 300 for each essay we do based on average marks/histograms.

So anything above 85 is impossible, bar in the mutiple choice style exams.
Original post by Dinasaurus
Has anyone ever received 80%+ in an essay at uni, I'm setting myself the goal of getting 80% in one piece of work in my 2nd year.

My average essay is probably around a 2:1 and my best was only 71%, what are some tips you have to go above and beyond?

i get 83

Latest