The Student Room Group

Does anyone do biology, maths and psychology for A levels?

I'm choosing these subjects for A levels and I'm wondering what the work load is like :smile:
I did biology and maths at A level. Biology has a large amount of content to learn so out of my subjects (bio, chem, physics, maths), biology had the largest workload. Maths wasn't too bad workload wise. A lot of the early topics in year 12 heavily overlapped with some GSCE content so they were pretty simple (for me at least). Consistency is key with those two subjects. Make sure you make notes from the start, create revision resources from pretty early on and do lots of practice exam questions as part of you revision.
Original post by Emily5243
I did biology and maths at A level. Biology has a large amount of content to learn so out of my subjects (bio, chem, physics, maths), biology had the largest workload. Maths wasn't too bad workload wise. A lot of the early topics in year 12 heavily overlapped with some GSCE content so they were pretty simple (for me at least). Consistency is key with those two subjects. Make sure you make notes from the start, create revision resources from pretty early on and do lots of practice exam questions as part of you revision.

Thank you! That was very helpful
There is a lot of content for Psychology! You have to ensure you make notes and revise as you go along e.g. at the end of a topic, especially if you do biology and psychology together as they are very heavy content based subjects. There is AO1 which is information about studies A02= where you apply your AO1 knowledge to situations and there is AO3 which personally takes longer to revise and you will need at least 4 evaluations for each essay in psych. There is a lot of theorists to remember but the subject is so interesting so far (I've only done year 1 but I'm going into year 13 now). If you would like to have a rough idea of the content, look on psychologyhub or simplypsychology. I enjoy the topic but my friend also does biology and she has mentioned before that there is a lot of content for it too. I do have a revision strategy for psychology A-level so let me know if you would me to send it to you! Just a piece of advice incase you do psychology, research method is the most important topic- it's 48 marks and other topics are 24 marks. Research methods is very useful for evaluations, I hope this helps!
I did bio, chem, physics and maths too. I had a similar experience to @Emily5243 with bio - it’s a lot of content and quite a big workload. Tbh I found maths was a lot of work too (I had to do so many practise questions) but I think that’s more because I didn’t have very good teachers and had to practise a lot by myself to make up for it.
Reply 5
Original post by blink2020
I'm choosing these subjects for A levels and I'm wondering what the work load is like :smile:

I did all three, Psychology is probably the most content heavy just because of all the case studies you have to remember and you have to remember to revise AO1, AO2 and AO3 as the other person said, the only tricky thing I found with psych is that you have to write allot quite quickly and then write a conclusion for the essay questions otherwise you won't get any marks. I mainly revised using flash cards but I found this YouTube videos really useful when it came to memorising/preparing for essay questions
you can just use questions you've found in past papers and if you revise each paragraph on how you've answered them you can usually insert those paragraphs into similar questions. Biology is also pretty content heavy, luckily biology and psych overlap a bit and also doing maths will help when doing chi squared tests etc. For Bio i just used flash cards using the GGP books (I use Anki, its been really good so far) also using the markscheme is key as even if you answer a question sometimes you'll lose marks for not saying it in a certain way, plus biology often asks the same questions in different ways. For Bio and Psych I think the best way to memorise is to use active recall eg if you're learning about Mitosis then write as much as you know about it and then go over what you didn't remember then repeat. For Maths I'm also just doing notes/flashcards just so i can refer back to it when I get confused or forget something, but there are some pretty good websites as well that can help. you can choose your exam board and it has past papers and tutorials on each topic that could help. Sorry for the long paragraph I hope this helps :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest