The Student Room Group

Do Nurses ever move outside of the UK? If so WHERE?

That's the question TSR!

I would appreciate some answers :biggrin:
Reply 1
Original post by Guardians0111
That's the question TSR!

I would appreciate some answers :biggrin:

Australia and New Zealand are popular options for British nurses who decide to emigrate.
Original post by Emily_B
Australia and New Zealand are popular options for British nurses who decide to emigrate.

Is it hard to move out there as a nurse?
Reply 3
I'm not in nursing myself, but I've been told that there are often job opportunities for nurses in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

I'm not sure what your own situation is, but you could join the Royal Navy as a Nurse. This will give you the opportunity to serve on a ship such as the aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth. Being deployed would mean being with the ship outside United Kingdom waters.

Are you already a qualified Nurse?
I've also heard of Canada (though that might be better for midwives). Some go the US but you need to do further exams for that and I don't know much about it.
If you were fluently bilingual you could probably get a job wherever the other language was spoken too.
Plus there are international programs like Medecins Sans Frontiers who also need nurses with particular skills.
Original post by Kerzen
I'm not in nursing myself, but I've been told that there are often job opportunities for nurses in Saudi Arabia and the United Arab Emirates.

I'm not sure what your own situation is, but you could join the Royal Navy as a Nurse. This will give you the opportunity to serve on a ship such as the aircraft carrier, HMS Queen Elizabeth. Being deployed would mean being with the ship outside United Kingdom waters.

Are you already a qualified Nurse?

I wish I could join the Royal Navy as a Nurse but I don't think I could as I have some medical issues, it would be an amazing opportunity!!

I'm not yet qualified but thinking of nursing and wondered what opportunities are out there ;
Original post by Sam.C.Mat
I've also heard of Canada (though that might be better for midwives). Some go the US but you need to do further exams for that and I don't know much about it.
If you were fluently bilingual you could probably get a job wherever the other language was spoken too.
Plus there are international programs like Medecins Sans Frontiers who also need nurses with particular skills.

I'll look at the international program thanks. You need to do exams for the US?
Providing you got a job lined up in another country then it depends on whether or not your current nursing skills are transferrable as some countries ask you to do a certain probation period to allow you to come up to speed with there policies in nursing .

Your visa is the hardest part of the process as if you get that then you will be able to work abroad in likes of Canada, America, New Zealand & Australia.

My big sister been a qualified nurse for 12 years and applied for a job in Australia and been there now 6 years and living it to .
Plenty time of as well but there's times she maybe doing 10 days on the trot but get similar time of afterwards but not all shifts are like that as normally you similar as here in uk but far better paid but everything more expensive to.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 8
canada for a nqn is hard. exams extra courses and inability to work until you have passed. usa i believe is the same exam. lia, New Zealand and the middle east are the easiest to get work. an nqn metal health that i know did a year and then 6 months in australia. my wifes aunt did a few years as a midwife sister in the west bank.not suitable for a nqn. apart from them wages may be lower and language skills needed
Reply 9
I wish I could join the Royal Navy as a Nurse but I don't think I could as I have some medical issues, it would be an amazing opportunity!!

I'm not yet qualified but thinking of nursing and wondered what opportunities are out there ;

Have you identified any courses which would work well for you? It's worth looking now, partly to make sure that you know what is required in terms of qualifications.
Certainly, they do. Mostly they go to: Australia, New Zeland, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Canada.
Now, it depends on preference and goals in life. Australia is known to be one of the best countries to work as a nurse, due to an awesome patient-ratio and work-life balance.
Original post by rg.nurse
Certainly, they do. Mostly they go to: Australia, New Zeland, Saudi Arabia, Dubai, Canada.
Now, it depends on preference and goals in life. Australia is known to be one of the best countries to work as a nurse, due to an awesome patient-ratio and work-life balance.

Is it hard to move to Australlia once Obtaining a degree? Do you need a masters? :smile:
Original post by Kerzen
Have you identified any courses which would work well for you? It's worth looking now, partly to make sure that you know what is required in terms of qualifications.

Sorry I'm not too sure what you mean?
Reply 13
Sorry I'm not too sure what you mean?

I was wondering whether you had a found a good course in nursing for which you could apply, but, now that I have read the thread again, I've realised that you are already training as a nurse.

Perhaps you could get in touch with agencies which recruit for nursing abroad to ask them what would give you the best chance of getting one of those jobs.
Original post by Kerzen
I was wondering whether you had a found a good course in nursing for which you could apply, but, now that I have read the thread again, I've realised that you are already training as a nurse.

Perhaps you could get in touch with agencies which recruit for nursing abroad to ask them what would give you the best chance of getting one of those jobs.

Where could I find these agencies? Do you have any links? :smile:
Reply 15
Where could I find these agencies? Do you have any links? :smile:

I had a quick look on Google and could see a few, but I could see that the RCN website says that adverts can be found in the Nursing Standard and the Nursing Times - those would be your best sources, as you could be confident about them.

https://www.rcn.org.uk/get-help/rcn-advice/working-overseas

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending