The Student Room Group

Government Policy Profession Policy Advisor HEO

Scroll to see replies

Ok thanks so I may here something next week. Not really motivated to do this, as I have just been through a long and tested recruitment drive and been placed on reserve list which I’m so gutted about. But keep thinking just keep applying will get something eventually
Reply 41
Original post by blueberrysro
Yes I have.

I heard back a week and a few days after submitting so I'd imagine it would be similar for everyone unless they've had a big influx of applications then/since

How did you find the interview? I've not done an online one before and I definitely feel more confident in a room with someone to gauge reactions so a bit nervous about it. How long did it last? Was it quite focused?
Original post by RNye
How did you find the interview? I've not done an online one before and I definitely feel more confident in a room with someone to gauge reactions so a bit nervous about it. How long did it last? Was it quite focused?

It was okay actually. The interviewers were really nice and totally put me at ease. It was about 35 minutes and a steady but not rapid pace. Though they have definitely been trained to just smile their way through so hats off to you if you can gauge their reaction.
In terms of tips with it being online just remember to think about where you're going to put your notes e.g. around your screen and if you can have a plain or blurred out background that's always good too.
Good luck!
Reply 43
It was okay actually. The interviewers were really nice and totally put me at ease. It was about 35 minutes and a steady but not rapid pace. Though they have definitely been trained to just smile their way through so hats off to you if you can gauge their reaction.
In terms of tips with it being online just remember to think about where you're going to put your notes e.g. around your screen and if you can have a plain or blurred out background that's always good too.
Good luck!

This is great to know, thank you. Good luck for the rest of the process for you.
Reply 44
Another question - Personal Statements - were yours 1000s words or fewer or did anyone go over by a few? Advice from a friend who is a civil servant and recruits is that it is probably ok to go over by a few, anyone had experience doing this and getting an interview or being rejected because of it?
So just heard back from the policy role HO I did not get an interview scored 3 on statement. But that’s fine as I could not be bother re-writing my statement and just used the same one I always use. Waiting on G7 now lol would be funny if I got an interview for it. Good luck everyone
Good luck!

hey so ive heard back, unfortunately i didnt make it through the next stage but its okay! it was my first application anyway for the civil service ahaha :smile: !!! do you mind if i ask you for how you filled your application so that i'll have a better idea how to fill my next ones? will greatly appreciate it!! :biggrin:
they sure are tough i got a 3 for my overall feedback lol
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Anisablue
So just heard back from the policy role HO I did not get an interview scored 3 on statement. But that’s fine as I could not be bother re-writing my statement and just used the same one I always use. Waiting on G7 now lol would be funny if I got an interview for it. Good luck everyone

What is the score out of? Did they at least offer helpful feedback?
Original post by g.a.mills1996
What is the score out of? Did they at least offer helpful feedback?

hey so its out of 7, and they dont give any feedback but the score just gives you an indication of the level of evidence you provided so in my case is a 3, which is "moderate positive evidence"
Original post by trixytwix27
hey so ive heard back, unfortunately i didnt make it through the next stage but its okay! it was my first application anyway for the civil service ahaha :smile: !!! do you mind if i ask you for how you filled your application so that i'll have a better idea how to fill my next ones? will greatly appreciate it!! :biggrin:
they sure are tough i got a 3 for my overall feedback lol

I'm no expert but I would say:
- make sure you map each question roughly to a behavior to help structure your answer
- answer in STAR format and empathize your actions and the result
- make sure you are giving longer detailed examples rather than lots of short ones
- make sure you are super familiar with the success profiles too
Hey everyone!Can I just check if people have been able to get an interview slot? I've been trying for almost two weeks. Are many even released? Just nervous that by the time I get an interview/if successful - would there even be roles left sigh!
Original post by alyss102
Hey everyone!Can I just check if people have been able to get an interview slot? I've been trying for almost two weeks. Are many even released? Just nervous that by the time I get an interview/if successful - would there even be roles left sigh!

Hia it took me a few days to get one and those were released at about 1pm I think. If you're struggling you might want to drop them an email to let them know. I'm sure there are roles left since they extended the deadline.
Was it on a specific day? I've noticed Tuesday and Friday now for when they release slots but they go within like 5 minutes! I'm working as it is right now but do try and keep an eye on my email but feels so stressful. Did you have similar?

Also did you hear back? Has anyone heard back with an offer yet? Wondering what the decision timeline looks like.

Hia it took me a few days to get one and those were released at about 1pm I think. If you're struggling you might want to drop them an email to let them know. I'm sure there are roles left since they extended the deadline
(edited 3 years ago)
Was it on a specific day? I've noticed Tuesday and Friday now for when they release slots but they go within like 5 minutes! I'm working as it is right now but do try and keep an eye on my email but feels so stressful. Did you have similar?

Also did you hear back? Has anyone heard back with an offer yet? Wondering what the decision timeline looks like.

Yes I got mine on Friday.
I have an offer which came 3 working days after my interview :smile:
However I think it's because I scored quite highly as in the interview they said it would take most people about 2 weeks to hear back.
Good luck!
However I think it's because I scored quite highly as in the interview they said it would take most people about 2 weeks to hear back.
Good luck!

Ah that's amazing! Congrats!! I got a overall score of 7 on the application so hoping interview if I ever get a slot goes well but also feel like it's put more pressure on me now. Were you able to use some of the same examples? Wonder how long the background checks etc will take for you. Did they mention a start date or is it just the offer confirmed for now? Well done! Sorry for so many questions!
Reply 55
Good luck!

Congratulations from me too! Like alyss102 I'm also waiting to book my interview slot. I was wondering whether they asked about preferred departments/areas of interest in your interview? I didn't put any specific departments down in the application form as I'm very open to trying something new alongside what I have experience in - but wondering whether they expect a more specific answer? Thanks for any help! And well done again!
Original post by har1996
Congratulations from me too! Like alyss102 I'm also waiting to book my interview slot. I was wondering whether they asked about preferred departments/areas of interest in your interview? I didn't put any specific departments down in the application form as I'm very open to trying something new alongside what I have experience in - but wondering whether they expect a more specific answer? Thanks for any help! And well done again!

Ah that's amazing! Congrats!! I got a overall score of 7 on the application so hoping interview if I ever get a slot goes well but also feel like it's put more pressure on me now. Were you able to use some of the same examples? Wonder how long the background checks etc will take for you. Did they mention a start date or is it just the offer confirmed for now? Well done! Sorry for so many questions!

Thank-you! They didn't ask anything about preferred departments but I did write some on my application so I'll find out soon if they've been able to match that. I used most of my examples again so I wouldn't worry about that. No start date as I don't think that happens until security checks are cleared! FYI it sounds like it takes a week from getting an offered to being matched to a department. Good luck to you both!
Thank-you! They didn't ask anything about preferred departments but I did write some on my application so I'll find out soon if they've been able to match that. I used most of my examples again so I wouldn't worry about that. No start date as I don't think that happens until security checks are cleared! FYI it sounds like it takes a week from getting an offered to being matched to a department. Good luck to you both!

Ah okay that's really helpful! I wonder if people normally wait to give in their notice if they are in employment then? But maybe they contact references? Hmmm! Thanks for the information!
Reply 58

Thank you that’s really helpful to know! I guess they’re still sticking with a very general interview then. I hope you get matched to your top department soon:smile:
Ah okay that's really helpful! I wonder if people normally wait to give in their notice if they are in employment then? But maybe they contact references? Hmmm! Thanks for the information!

I asked about this and they advice giving in your notice after you've cleared security checks

Quick Reply