The Student Room Group

how to get work experience as an "introvert"

Not technically an introvert, but best way to explain it in the title...

I'm a year 3 at uni and basically I'm awkward around strangers, get uncontrollably nervous with shaky voice at interviews, and have a lot of insecurity about my voice (british greek, but have a strong American accent from going to an international school in greece,, then moved to the UK at 12 and went to public school)

I tend to feel like I stick out for having my American accent, whilst not fitting the stereotype of super social Americans that are chatty. And that always feels awkward around people, let alone interviewers who are judging your character.

I've previously done a lot of presentations as middle school, to large groups, but something about interviews is so much worse, especially when they're super competitive at uni (everyone wants to get a volunteer job)

I can't seem to get any jobs such as campus helpers, open day volunteers, volunteer work with companies, because when it gets to the interview stage, I seem to mess up by becoming very awkward.

I've been wanting to apply for more, but can't face the rejection again of just not being social enough effectively,,, especially during group interviews, because I struggle to speak over more social candidates.

Basically, I want to be more social, but I cant get into any jobs/volunteer that will let me practice those skills :-(

What can I do to be more outgoing in interviews? It's hard to just be super confident and social,, does anyone else struggle with this?
Original post by Anonymous

I'm a year 3 at uni and basically I'm awkward around strangers, get uncontrollably nervous with shaky voice at interviews, and have a lot of insecurity about my voice (british greek, but have a strong American accent from going to an international school in greece,, then moved to the UK at 12 and went to public school)

I tend to feel like I stick out for having my American accent, whilst not fitting the stereotype of super social Americans that are chatty. And that always feels awkward around people, let alone interviewers who are judging your character.

I've previously done a lot of presentations as middle school, to large groups, but something about interviews is so much worse, especially when they're super competitive at uni (everyone wants to get a volunteer job)

I can't seem to get any jobs such as campus helpers, open day volunteers, volunteer work with companies, because when it gets to the interview stage, I seem to mess up by becoming very awkward.

I've been wanting to apply for more, but can't face the rejection again of just not being social enough effectively,,, especially during group interviews, because I struggle to speak over more social candidates.

Basically, I want to be more social, but I cant get into any jobs/volunteer that will let me practice those skills :-(

What can I do to be more outgoing in interviews? It's hard to just be super confident and social,, does anyone else struggle with this?

Hi! I'm an introvert and when it came to my work experience last year I was so nervous. But I found that if I practised a little the usual questions they ask at the start of the interview, once I had confidently answered these questions I felt more confident to answer the rest. When it comes to being awkward I try to fake it till I make it, which I haven't yet but I'm sure it will come in time! Hope your interview goes well!
I am introverted and struggle more of less like you in social situations and there are definitely more people similar to us than what you may expect.

I have tried to practice social situations through something I am passionate about - for me this is learning languages - so I talk to people who also like Learning languages online daily and this increases my social skills as I have something which I am passionate about and share it with others.

The more you actively try to increase your social skills outside of interview situations with other people eg from clubs, societies etc the more easier you will find interview situations.
I am introverted and struggle more of less like you in social situations and there are definitely more people similar to us than what you may expect.

I have tried to practice social situations through something I am passionate about - for me this is learning languages - so I talk to people who also like Learning languages online daily and this increases my social skills as I have something which I am passionate about and share it with others.

The more you actively try to increase your social skills outside of interview situations with other people eg from clubs, societies etc the more easier you will find interview situations.

Hii, can I ask where you practise talking to people who like learning languages online?

Go to the careers service at university, and ask for interview practice. Think of potential questions you might be asked and think of answers ahead of time. Try getting friends or family to interview you too.

Practice is the key to most public speaking.

Hi,

I would agree with phoenix fortune, your careers service at uni may be able to help with mock interviews and give you feedback on what and how you can improve. Do any of the campus jobs at your uni not require an interview, when I applied to be a general student ambassador I didn't have to do interviews for certain roles, this might be good to get your foot in the door and be able to practice social skills?

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:
Original post by fuegokiki
Hii, can I ask where you practise talking to people who like learning languages online?

Mylanguage exchange is one I use.

Also I follow small YouTube channels created by people who are beginners in German which is what I am and converse with them.

Might join a language group on meetup.com as there is one close by - there might be one in your area and worth checking if you are interested.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending