The Student Room Group

Eye/Hearing examinations

Was reading about how people should check their vision every 2 years and hearing 3-5 years but realised most people never visit until severe symptoms pop up. So this made me wonder why people neglect their eyes and ears until it's too late? I mean many have regular GP or Dental appointments but for some reason they neglect a routine eye/hearing test :s-smilie:
I have eye tests roughly every 2 years and have done since I was about 9 years old. (I’m 17 now)

On the other hand when it comes to hearing I fall into the category of ‘only getting help when a serious problem occurs’, which lead me to having to have an minor operation 4 years ago. I never knew you could get hearing tests (and even after my op I never knew you could get them) :/
i personally was unaware eyesight could degrade . i soared through an eye test when i was young and as such just assumed that’s how my vision would always be . after getting constant headaches and friends jokingly commenting on my ability to see, i went for an eye test and didn’t realise how bad it actually was .. regarding hearing test i have yet to be tested . i guess it basically comes down to the thought that ur still capable of function so there mustn’t be an issue...
edit: also as a dental nurse, this very often applies with oral hygiene. people will ignore routinely check ups and instead request emergency appointments . they sometimes feel they have ‘wasted money’ if they have a check up where no issues are found .
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 3
Yes, eyesight and hearing deteriorate unexpectedly waiting for that to happen is very bad, I've seen so many people vibing to music all day long with airpods on or binging an entire Netflix show without concerns. I hope people understand these checkups can help identify early signs of hearing/sight loss :smile:
Original post by Anonymous
Was reading about how people should check their vision every 2 years and hearing 3-5 years but realised most people never visit until severe symptoms pop up. So this made me wonder why people neglect their eyes and ears until it's too late? I mean many have regular GP or Dental appointments but for some reason they neglect a routine eye/hearing test :s-smilie:

I thought everyone got regular eye tests - I get a letter from my optician asking me to come for an eye test every 2 years. As for hearing tests, we used to get those at school (I remember getting one in year 10 and year 11) but I wasn't aware that they were recommended routinely.

And just to point out, I have never had a GP appointment just for check up - I'm pretty sure my GP would kick me out of their office if I asked for that lol.
Reply 5
Original post by black tea
I thought everyone got regular eye tests - I get a letter from my optician asking me to come for an eye test every 2 years. As for hearing tests, we used to get those at school (I remember getting one in year 10 and year 11) but I wasn't aware that they were recommended routinely.

And just to point out, I have never had a GP appointment just for check up - I'm pretty sure my GP would kick me out of their office if I asked for that lol.

Ah I see didn't know about they did letters they should make it mandatory to attend and hopefully they introduce some for hearing tests as well. And of course people go to the GP whenever they think something's wrong, on the other hand general NHS health checks are done every 5 years after you're 40 so don't neglect em either! :h:
Reply 6
I have eye tests yearly (genetic reasons; hasn't happened this year due to the pandemic). Hearing tests aren't really recommended although I have had one and it showed hearing loss. Getting in to NHS audiology services has been a bit tricky but tbh it's not my top priority atm because I have too many other things to deal with (pandemic also hasn't helped).
Most people think their vision is fine I only had an appointment when I was younger and then when I turned 16, I got bad headaches from interactive white boards and yellow lights at school. So then I found out I needed glasses just for this tho so when I am reading but it was for long-sightedness. I do think I have photophobia and my optician thinks I have signs of it but at the moment he’s saying it might just be eye strain so we shall see.
Ah I see didn't know about they did letters they should make it mandatory to attend and hopefully they introduce some for hearing tests as well. And of course people go to the GP whenever they think something's wrong, on the other hand general NHS health checks are done every 5 years after you're 40 so don't neglect em either! :h:

Why should they be made mandatory? People need to take some responsibility for their own health - it's not that difficult to remember to make an appointment every couple of years.
Reply 9
Why should they be made mandatory? People need to take some responsibility for their own health - it's not that difficult to remember to make an appointment every couple of years.

Well in a way, it's to help them.

Making it mandatory will ensure that one kid in the back of the class won't have to get to the front and squint (as was the embarrassing case for me as my parents didn't care much about my eyes till the teachers had to tell them :tongue:) and many children don't realise its an issue straight away.
Because it generally deteriorates overtime. You don’t notice it’s got worse and think it’s fine.... so don’t go for an appointment. That’s what happened with me until one day I realised everyone else could read the TV guide!!
(edited 3 years ago)
Well in a way, it's to help them.

Making it mandatory will ensure that one kid in the back of the class won't have to get to the front and squint (as was the embarrassing case for me as my parents didn't care much about my eyes till the teachers had to tell them :tongue:) and many children don't realise its an issue straight away.

Sorry you parents didn't care much about your eyes. I made my own appointments from the age of about 13-14.

Unless there is a fine to pay, I don't think them being mandatory will make much of a difference. The other alternative would be for eye tests to be done at school every year, which is actually what happens in some countries, but that is highly unlikely to happen either.
Sorry you parents didn't care much about your eyes. I made my own appointments from the age of about 13-14.

Unless there is a fine to pay, I don't think them being mandatory will make much of a difference. The other alternative would be for eye tests to be done at school every year, which is actually what happens in some countries, but that is highly unlikely to happen either.

Eh... I guess you're right, just spreading awareness is enough :smile:
Reply 13
At first, I didn't even realise my eyesight wasn't good until I had a test in Y7 and got glasses and saw the difference :tongue:. I've been going to tests every year since then and I've just been told I can go every 2 years now :smile:

Haven't had any sort of hearing test since the one they do for you in Reception tho..
(edited 3 years ago)
I check my eyes a few times a year... I'm an optometrist. However, as for hearing, my last exam was over 10 years ago, a routine check in the army. I also visit a dentist every two years... I neglect it a bit but it is not something serious. I would check my hearing more often if I notice I hear worse than most people around me.
Most problems won't get treated properly until they are serious enough.

Its not always obvious until its checked. I've only had hearing tests when I've noticed hearing problems. One i had to push for. I get eye tests roughly every 6-12 months due to an undiagnosed genetic problem.
Original post by Tiger Rag
Its not always obvious until its checked. I've only had hearing tests when I've noticed hearing problems. One i had to push for. I get eye tests roughly every 6-12 months due to an undiagnosed genetic problem.

Yes, hence it's recommended that people get eye tests every 2 years (more if there are problems or a family history or certain conditions) because some treatable conditions can cause blindness when not detected early. Hearing checks are also done when they are critical - i.e. in babies and in children, but as an adult, it is much easier to notice a problem with hearing than with eyesight and to then address it yourself by making an appointment.

Quick Reply

Latest