The Student Room Group

Clearing query

Hi
I got uni conditional offers for Natural Science, but after doing more research during lockdown, I realized I'd prefer studying Mechanical Engineering. I studied maths, physics and chemistry for A-levels.
I was wondering if I can change to Mechanical Engineering during clearing on results day even though I have applied for Natural Science...
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 1
Yes. It is perfectly possible to apply for a different course through clearing/adjustment than the one you initially applied for:smile:.
Original post by 13thamina
Hi
I got uni conditional offers for Natural Science, but after doing more research during lockdown, I realized I'd prefer studying Mechanical Engineering. I studied maths, physics and chemistry for A-levels.
I was wondering if I can change to Mechanical Engineering during clearing on results day even though I have applied for Natural Science...

If you want to stay at the same uni, you don't need to go through Clearing necessarily. Just phone them on Results Day and ask if you can switch courses (assuming you meet the grades for the target course). Such a course change might need a few reasons though as they are very different, so have some on hand :smile:

If you want to go to a different uni yes you would need to go through Clearing.
Hi

If you want to stay at the same uni you don't even need to wait for Clearing, I would phone them now when they aren't as busy and ask if you can switch to Mech Eng. It doesn't hurt to ask and they won't take your current offer away just because you are expressing interest in another course.

If you are more interested in other unis then yes, you can change courses on results day although you will need to decline any offer you are holding to be eligible to enter Clearing. Or you could consider Adjustment if your grades exceed those required by your Firm choice uni.
Reply 4
Original post by Tinders
Yes. It is perfectly possible to apply for a different course through clearing/adjustment than the one you initially applied for:smile:.

Thank you!!😁😁
Reply 5
Original post by emiloujess
If you want to stay at the same uni, you don't need to go through Clearing necessarily. Just phone them on Results Day and ask if you can switch courses (assuming you meet the grades for the target course). Such a course change might need a few reasons though as they are very different, so have some on hand :smile:

If you want to go to a different uni yes you would need to go through Clearing.

Thank you, so all I need are reasons for the change, do you know if I would need a new personal statement as well?
Reply 6
Original post by harrysbar
If you want to stay at the same uni you don't even need to wait for Clearing, I would phone them now when they aren't as busy and ask if you can switch to Mech Eng. It doesn't hurt to ask and they won't take your current offer away just because you are expressing interest in another course.

If you are more interested in other unis then yes, you can change courses on results day although you will need to decline any offer you are holding to be eligible to enter Clearing. Or you could consider Adjustment if your grades exceed those required by your Firm choice uni.

Thank you! I'll give it a go calling the uni😁😁

But do I call the admissions office, the nat sci department or mec eng department?
(edited 3 years ago)
Thank you! I'll give it a go calling the uni😁😁

But do I call the admissions office, the nat sci department or mec eng department?

Try the admissions office first
Thank you, so all I need are reasons for the change, do you know if I would need a new personal statement as well?

You may be asked yes, so have a few reasons on hand just in case, and I was never asked for a personal statement :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by claireestelle
Try the admissions office first

Allright, thank you😁
Reply 10
You may be asked yes, so have a few reasons on hand just in case, and I was never asked for a personal statement :smile:

Ohh, did you also change you course from the original one you applied for? If so how long was the process?

Also, thank you again, I'll make sure to have some reasons😁
Ohh, did you also change you course from the original one you applied for? If so how long was the process?

Also, thank you again, I'll make sure to have some reasons😁

4 years ago, but yes. I switched from politics related courses to sociology related courses. I sent their admissions department an email (anxiety about phone calls) explaining why I wanted to change and I believe both my firm and insurance universities responded within a week or so :smile:
Reply 12
4 years ago, but yes. I switched from politics related courses to sociology related courses. I sent their admissions department an email (anxiety about phone calls) explaining why I wanted to change and I believe both my firm and insurance universities responded within a week or so :smile:

Great to hear that it was a success 😀😀
Hopefully, although a little terrified, the same goes for me as well🤞🤞🤞

I think u dont have to write a personal statement if the one that u wrote was general and not a specific degree related. So it depends what u wrote. Hope this helps
Reply 14
Original post by dj_ad_1
I think u dont have to write a personal statement if the one that u wrote was general and not a specific degree related. So it depends what u wrote. Hope this helps

Thank you😁

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending