The Student Room Group

Biology - Warwick OR Lancaster???

Hi evryone

Please, help, Im lost. Warwick or Lancaster?
Biological Science.
Which degree will worth more?
Where more personal approach?

Entry requirements in my case the same for both. I made Lancaster the firm and Warwick as insurance, but now Im not sure in my choice.
my entry points:
- I dont know yet in which field (in Bioscience) will continue my education after BA
- Im going to continue for masters anyhow ( at least now im sure in it:smile:
- I am dyslectic, have difficulties to learn just by reading

programme explained better by Lancaster but it is only paper...
Original post by GlobalTrotter07
Hi evryone

Biological Science.

Entry requirements in my case the same for both. I made Lancaster the firm and Warwick as insurance, but now Im not sure in my choice.
my entry points:
- I dont know yet in which field (in Bioscience) will continue my education after BA

Both are equally prestigious so I think it depends on what you want from a uni. Both are similar in terms of nightlife where you're not surrounded by a big bunch of clubs compared to Manchester. Lancaster means you're about 20 minutes away from the Lake District but Warwick means you can go to Birmingham or Coventry easily for a night out. Lancaster has a colligate system which not many unis offer in the UK so if that's something that interests you I would say go for you. Also, look at the modules and see what caters to your interests more.

However, you said you're dyslexic so I would research which one helps more with disabilities. I ended up firming one of the universities that seemed to help me the most in terms of support and it's worth testing the waters before you get there.
Lancasters a great uni. there is a student ambassador from lancaster called Charlotte on here. You might be able to find her posts on previous threads like lancaster 2020 applicants one and message her. she did biomedical sciences. Theres also Holly and Maria who do different courses.

My daughters off to Lancaster this year. Manchester and Liverpool are major cities close by via train and some students go to Edinburgh on trips too. There was a you tube vlogger but she no longer does videos. She is dyslexic and went to lancaster and had support there.
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/library/information-for/disabled-and-dyslexic-users/#dyslexic-users
https://www.lancaster.ac.uk/student-and-education-services/disability/prospective-students/inclusive-support-for-all-students/#one-to-one
Hlo from Indian Himalayas ✌🏻🌺
Original post by Dechante
Both are equally prestigious so I think it depends on what you want from a uni. Both are similar in terms of nightlife where you're not surrounded by a big bunch of clubs compared to Manchester. Lancaster means you're about 20 minutes away from the Lake District but Warwick means you can go to Birmingham or Coventry easily for a night out. Lancaster has a colligate system which not many unis offer in the UK so if that's something that interests you I would say go for you. Also, look at the modules and see what caters to your interests more.

Thank you, i was reading modules and whole programme is written more detailed in Lanscaster, also there is possibilit y one yer abroad in USA or Australia, but
in QS World ranking for Biological Sciences Warwick is 151-200 and Lancaster is 400-450......How it could be possible if they are on the same level?!
even entry requirment are slightly higher for this course in Lancaster
Thank you, i was reading modules and whole programme is written more detailed in Lanscaster, also there is possibilit y one yer abroad in USA or Australia, but
in QS World ranking for Biological Sciences Warwick is 151-200 and Lancaster is 400-450......How it could be possible if they are on the same level?!

Take rankings as a pinch of salt tbh as they can change year by year drastically. For example, the complete uni guide for UK unis compared to QS rankings is so different as Lancaster is actually higher than Warwick. Sheffield is also ranked higher than Exeter in the world rankings so don't look too deep in it. Employers won't look at you any differently because of you chose Warwick over Lancaster. A few years back Leicester was in the top 15 and now I think it's in the 40s in the UK rankings. For me, I was choosing between Warwick and Exeter for my degree and didn't even take into account ranking because they were actually tied (apart from the QS ranking where Warwick was higher) but they both had a great reputation
Hi evryone

Biological Science.

my entry points:

Hi @GlobalTrotter07,
I've just finished my degree in Biological Sciences at Lancaster so I'm happy to help you.
The Biology degree at Lancaster is very flexible. You'll study all the core modules in first year but you'll have a lot of choice compared to other biosciences degrees. This means you'll be able to pick and chose the modules you're interested in until you find what you'd like to study! It'll set you up for a variety of masters and lots of students have been going on to study masters.
We have academic support staff who are able to help with things like essay writing, dissertations, maths help etc. If you're struggling at any point they'll be able to help you.
I don't think our degree is heavily based on textbooks - I didn't use them during my degree. As you progress you do rely more on academic papers though, but everyone finds them difficult at first, and overtime and with practice you'll become more comfortable with understanding how to get the most out of them.
In terms of rankings, it's important to remember that just because you went to a university with a higher rank in one league table, does not mean and employer will chose you over a candidate that went to a university with a lower rank in the same league table. Lancaster is still ranked highly in the UK and has been a top 10 university for a few years now.
Work experience and skills is always valuable and at Lancaster there will be options to go on field trips, study abroad and take up internships and placements. The careers department is really helpful and we took an compulsory employability module in second year where they went through loads of the steps needed in the application process.
I hope this was useful and let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
In terms of rankings, it's important to remember that just because you went to a university with a higher rank in one league table, does not mean and employer will chose you over a candidate that went to a university with a lower rank in the same league table. Lancaster is still ranked highly in the UK and has been a top 10 university for a few years now.
Work experience and skills is always valuable and at Lancaster there will be options to go on field trips, study abroad and take up internships and placements. The careers department is really helpful and we took an compulsory employability module in second year where they went through loads of the steps needed in the application process.
I hope this was useful and let me know if you have any questions or anything I can help you with.
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thank you Charlotte for such a detailed explanation
i have been in Lanastr and like what I saw,
Ranking is only thing which is bothering me:frown:(( my family is not from the Uk, so maybe in a future I will be working somewhere else and Im afraid that in this case ranking will be taking in the consideration
also my parents english-english friends react more positive on Warwick then on lancaster, but they are not in biology....something like Warwick is well-known ect ect (Honestly english peiple sometimes so polite that its difficult to understand what is the real meaning of thier words)))))
Ranking is only thing which is bothering me:frown:(( my family is not from the Uk, so maybe in a future I will be working somewhere else and Im afraid that in this case ranking will be taking in the consideration
also my parents english-english friends react more positive on Warwick then on lancaster, but they are not in biology....something like Warwick is well-known ect ect (Honestly english peiple sometimes so polite that its difficult to understand what is the real meaning of thier words)))))

Warwick is a better uni generally but Biology is actually one of Warwick's weakest spots. I think either uni is a good choice tbh, just note you may get bored in these places, slightly more at Lancaster - it is a very quiet place

Lancaster is a good uni :smile: Not up there with the top-top, but it's perfectly respectable. To be honest I'm not sure if I'd travel from another country for it, surely there are good unis in your home country?

Rankings dont mean too much. complete university guide has lancaster over
warwick https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings
Original post by A Rolling Stone
Warwick is a better uni generally but Biology is actually one of Warwick's weakest spots. I think either uni is a good choice tbh, just note you may get bored in these places, slightly more at Lancaster - it is a very quiet place

Lancaster is a good uni :smile: Not up there with the top-top, but it's perfectly respectable. To be honest I'm not sure if I'd travel from another country for it, surely there are good unis in your home country?

I'm "home student":colondollar:, spent here half of my life already. I have been in a boarding in Devon couple of years, and feel keen to be in a quite place close to nature. Like it much more than London where I spent all other time, even did not apply for any London's unies.
Original post by Ghostlady
Rankings dont mean too much. complete university guide has lancaster over
warwick https://www.thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk/league-tables/rankings

Uep, I saw it and like it a lot :u: in our post-true world it is always possible to find the version of true which fits more
if serious, i think its possible and easier to aplly for MA for top-top unies than BA. and in this ase more sense to choose teh place where will be more attention from teachers. seems its Lancaster

I think the best way to describe it as that Lancaster is more of an 'up and coming' university, as it's risen in league tables in the last few years whereas other universities who traditionally were ranked more highly and now moving down.
It's also to remember that Lancaster is a respected university in the many fields, including Biology. We have a large Biology department, as well as Lancaster Environment Centre (where you may take some modules), with lots of relevant research going on.
I think go with the course that you like the most, and the place you imagine yourself in - this is more important than what your family and friends think.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending