The Student Room Group

A-level predicted grades too low...

I will be starting year 13 in september. My A-level predicted grades as of now are ABC (A in sociology, B in economics and C in Maths). I really do want to go to a top university and since I didn't have mocks at the end of year 12 due to Corona, my end of year 12 mocks are now taking place in September, right before the November year 13 mocks. Say I wanted to apply to Warwick to study economics, would I be at a disadvantage because of my predicted grades, or will they still consider me if I'm somehow a few grades below the requirement? Somehow please help me as I really need some closure :frown:
Yes, you will be at a disadvantage, and could get automatically rejected. Sorry.

There's always adjustment, or a gap year, if you can't get your predicted grades to reflect what you think you will do. There is still time to persuade your teachers. Good luck.
You could email your teachers now to ask if you could get any of them raised? Or if you have your mocks in September , then if you do well enough in them then you could convince your teachers to raise your predicteds? :smile:
Original post by Pranav.zzz
I will be starting year 13 in september. My A-level predicted grades as of now are ABC (A in sociology, B in economics and C in Maths). I really do want to go to a top university and since I didn't have mocks at the end of year 12 due to Corona, my end of year 12 mocks are now taking place in September, right before the November year 13 mocks. Say I wanted to apply to Warwick to study economics, would I be at a disadvantage because of my predicted grades, or will they still consider me if I'm somehow a few grades below the requirement? Somehow please help me as I really need some closure :frown:

Wait and see how you do in the September mocks - if you do well then your predictions could be raised.

However, if you are still working at ABC level in September/October then I wouldn't advise you to apply to Warwick for Economics because even if you got an offer (which is unlikely) you would still get rejected on A level results day if you didn't meet their entry requirements of A*AA. They are not likely to be very flexible especially with their requirement of an A in Maths.

I think you need to be researching other unis (and possibly other courses if your weakest subject is Maths) and not get too hung up on one uni at this stage. If you do stick with Economics then you might be better looking at alternative options with a lesser mathermatical content like BA Economics instead of BSc or Business Economics courses.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
Wait and see how you do in the September mocks - if you do well then your predictions could be raised.

However, if you are still working at ABC level in September/October then I wouldn't advise you to apply to Warwick for Economics because even if you got an offer (which is unlikely) you would still get rejected on A level results day if you didn't meet their entry requirements of A*AA. They are not likely to be very flexible especially with their requirement of an A in Maths.

I think you need to be researching other unis (and possibly other courses if your weakest subject is Maths) and not get too hung up on one uni at this stage. If you do stick with Economics then you might be better looking at alternative options with a lesser mathermatical content like BA Economics instead of BSc or Business Economics courses.

Im gonna try and really grind the next month and a bit and hopefully I ace my mocks, so that i can request a raise in my predicted grades. If you have any more suggestions that you think might help me, please let me know, and thanks.
Last year one of these threads suggested that a student applied with only say 2 or 3 unis initially to see how they got on for offers. It seems that as long as all choices are in by the January deadline - you can add choices.
Once the replies from the initial choices come back this could inform how "safe" you may need to play it with the remaining choices added at a later date!
Original post by Pranav.zzz

If your predicted grades do not hit requirements, you will be automatically rejected and only looked at through clearing, as this is the standard procedure for most decent unis. However, if you can get those predicted grades up by proving it to your teachers that you made progress, it should be fine. The September mocks are your best bet to get grades raised. However, Warwick is not a bad uni, and has high expectations. As said by a previous post, if you are still working at those levels, perhaps the course is not for you? If your problem is genuine understanding and not being able to do the maths and economics, you will struggle to get anything done in a month. But if you were being lazy or not as hard working before, you could get them raised, especially as it’s the holidays now and we’re basically under lockdown.
Reply 7
Yeah, so basically I know it’s just a case of me being lazy with maths especially. In maths lessons I’m always the first to answer and my maths ability is very good. I just slack a lot and am lazy most of the time. So I do believe that working extremely hard will secure me a good grade. I’ve been studying hard for the past 3 days and I deleted all social media, and I make sure not to watch TV for more than 15 mins a day. I’ve really come to realise the importance of hard work and I hope I’m not too late in getting the grind started.
You still have your September mocks to change things around. Forget about the past and start working now!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending