The Student Room Group

Will Biden be elected President?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by Dubsmash247
Democrat cities are on fire record levels of crime cause by riots. Chicago saw its deadliest day in 60 years! (yet its Mayor thinks we need saving from Trump not gangbangers)

Trump gets the blame for failures of Democrats.

This isn't happening in Trump voting rural communties, they're in Democrat decade+ controlled cities thats a fact.

They refuse to denounce the extremists, unlike Trump who has denounced extremists many times like those nationalists in Charlotsviille (though media will have you think otherwise)

This talk of defunding police is confusing, given some activists are saying we need to completely abolish police while others just want to reduce spending and put the money elsewhere.

You do realise that Trump's Twitter feed does not qualify as a news source?
Biden is almost certain to be elected President in November. The poll-of-polls puts him about 10% ahead. The Economist gives Trump a 10% chance of winning (it gave him a 30% chance of winning this time around in 2016) - Biden has a 10% chance of a landslide in winning both Houses. He's got a greater lead than Clinton had this time around in 2016, is ahead in key swing states, and is far more likeable than Clinton (approval ratings show this). Trumps handling of Covid and the shape of the US economy have hacked away at his core-support (over 55s).

Good riddance!
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Yeah, what could possibly go wrong with putting someone with dementia in the White House?

It can't be as bad as putting a psychopath in the White House for a second term!
Original post by Napp
It's not like they had a better alternative..

The Democratic candidates were:
1) old racist senile bloke
2) old bloke who thought Castro was good
3) guy who wants to give everyone free money
4) woman who thinks she's American Indian
5) slightly hippy dippy woman
6) vaguely leftist guy with an unpronouncable name

None of them are particularly inspiring.
Reply 44
The Democratic candidates were:
1) old racist senile bloke
2) old bloke who thought Castro was good
3) guy who wants to give everyone free money
4) woman who thinks she's American Indian
5) slightly hippy dippy woman
6) vaguely leftist guy with an unpronouncable name

None of them are particularly inspiring.

Indeed although in fairness, Trumpy boy seems to meet most of these observations and he's only one person :lol: Being; racist, old, senile, supports dictators, helicoptering out money etc.
Reply 45
A simple presidential message that Trump could never deliver: Peaceful protesters should be protected and violent rioters should be prosecuted.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4895986/user-clip-biden-protests
Original post by Napp
Indeed although in fairness, Trumpy boy seems to meet most of these observations and he's only one person :lol: Being; racist, old, senile, supports dictators, helicoptering out money etc.

This. Whatever **** people say about the democratic candidates, Trump definitely has it 10 fold.
Original post by QE2
I think it is difficult to rationally justify any particular arbitrary age, but using the statutory retirement age would be reasonable.

Only 11 out of 45 US presidents were over 60 when they took office. 9 were in their 40s.
Biden will be the oldest by 7 years. Only 12 presidents will have been within 20 years of him if elected.

There are a lot of people over statutory retirement age who are very able I worked with man who was over 85 years old.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Napp

Yes.

Can we have Reagan back? :lol:
Original post by Ascend
A simple presidential message that Trump could never deliver: Peaceful protesters should be protected and violent rioters should be prosecuted.

https://www.c-span.org/video/?c4895986/user-clip-biden-protests

By all means protect peaceful protesters, but at this point I'm beginning to wonder how many protests are genuinely peaceful and how many protesters can claim not to have anything to do with rioting.
Reply 49
Donald Trump suggests delay to 2020 US presidential election

What did Trump say?

In a series of tweets, Mr Trump said "universal mail-in voting" would make November's vote the "most inaccurate and fraudulent election in history" and a "great embarrassment to the USA".

He suggested - without providing evidence - that mail-in voting, as it is known in the US, would be susceptible to foreign interference.

"The [Democrats] talk of foreign influence in voting, but they know that Mail-In Voting is an easy way for foreign countries to enter the race," he said.

Mr Trump also said postal voting was "already proving to be a catastrophic disaster" in areas where it was being tried out.

Mr Trump appears to be doing everything in his power to undermine the credibility of November's vote, in which a record number of Americans are predicted to rely on mail-in voting to avoid the risk of exposure to the coronavirus. He's repeatedly made false and misleading claims about the reliability of the mail balloting and suggested broad conspiracy theories. Critics warn that he could be laying the groundwork for contesting the results - although the purpose may be simply to give him a scapegoat if he loses.

His tweet could also be an attempt to divert attention away from the truly dismal second-quarter economic numbers just released. He's been relying on a financial turnaround to breathe life into his re-election campaign, and instead the outlook appears exceedingly gloomy.

Whatever the reason, tweeting about an election delay is not the move of a candidate confident of victory - and could be a sign of more desperate moves to come.

(my emphasis)
Reply 50
Original post by Ascend

This election looks like it will be one of the closest fought and worst elections since the Civil War.

Given that America is trying its best to imitate Ulster during the Troubles, I'm honestly worried about violence at the election.
This election looks like it will be one of the closest fought and worst elections since the Civil War.

Given that America is trying its best to imitate Ulster during the Troubles, I'm honestly worried about violence at the election.

The election may be violent but I don’t think it will be closely fought and yesterday’s antics may well have lost it for Trump.

Republicans up for re-election will have to decide in the next few weeks whether they are running on Trump’s ticket or running despite Trump. Is Trump an asset or a liability? He has been a very marginal asset in 2016 and 2018 and looks like a distinct liability in 2020.
Reply 53

I shall at least enjoy the delicious irony of all those 2nd Amendment Preppers siding with an authoritarian federal government that is committing unconstitutional abuses of power.
Oh, how we'll laugh...
Reply 54
Original post by nulli tertius
The election may be violent but I don’t think it will be closely fought and yesterday’s antics may well have lost it for Trump.

Republicans up for re-election will have to decide in the next few weeks whether they are running on Trump’s ticket or running despite Trump. Is Trump an asset or a liability? He has been a very marginal asset in 2016 and 2018 and looks like a distinct liability in 2020.

It wouldn't surprise me if there were Republican back room discussions on the feasibility of removing Trump before the election so it would be Biden v Pence.
Original post by QE2
It wouldn't surprise me if there were Republican back room discussions on the feasibility of removing Trump before the election so it would be Biden v Pence.

The carrot is a pardon for Trump and his family. If he doesn't stand and Pence wins; he will see out his terms and be pardoned in January. If Pence loses, Trump resigns in November and Pence pardons him straightaway.
Reply 56
Original post by nulli tertius
The carrot is a pardon for Trump and his family. If he doesn't stand and Pence wins; he will see out his terms and be pardoned in January. If Pence loses, Trump resigns in November and Pence pardons him straightaway.

... marking the political death of the Republican party.
Original post by Ascend
... marking the political death of the Republican party.

The pardon for Nixon had no real impact on the 1976 election and the Republicans won in 1980, 1984 and 1988.
All Presidents of America have been the same. You can be sure of one thing, regardless of who wins this election little if anything will change in America or American politics.
Reply 59
McConnell signal to Republican Senate candidates: Distance from Trump if necessary

Original post by QE2

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending