The Student Room Group

Gcse & igse

Hi guys,
I hope you all doing great, I have a really important questions about my exams.
Firstly, what's difference between IGCSE & GCSE ?
Secondly, which one should I do for my year10&11?
it's my pleasure to see your replies as quick as it's possible!
Thanks all.
Original post by elia217
Hi guys,
I hope you all doing great, I have a really important questions about my exams.
Firstly, what's difference between IGCSE & GCSE ?
Secondly, which one should I do for my year10&11?
it's my pleasure to see your replies as quick as it's possible!
Thanks all.

IGCSE is just an international GCSE.

My understanding is iGCSE's are a little more exam weighted in the exam:coursework balance when compared to normal GCSEs.

I dont think there is any significant difference to choosing one or the other, the spec's might vary but you get that exam board to exam board anyway.

All GCSEs really do is open doors for A-levels or apprenticeships. I dont think it matters which one you choose.
Reply 2
So you learn more in IGCSE?
Original post by elia217
So you learn more in IGCSE?

I dont think so, the level will be very similar.

They'll just be slight differences in the syllabuses.
Reply 4
Where in the world are you?
Are you home-schooled and so will be taking exams as a private candidate?
Reply 5
Original post by Compost
Where in the world are you?
Are you home-schooled and so will be taking exams as a private candidate?

I'm in Uk.
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I dont think so, the level will be very similar.

They'll just be slight differences in the syllabuses.

so u mean the syllavus are different in IGCSE?
Original post by elia217
so u mean the syllavus are different in IGCSE?

There is variation in all syllabuses.
Every exam board has slightly different content.
Reply 8
Original post by mnot
There is variation in all syllabuses.
Every exam board has slightly different content.

I am doing IGCSE triple science but the school use GCSE, which one should I do?
Original post by elia217

It doesn’t really matter, but if the school teaches the GCSE spec then I would opt for that.
Original post by elia217

If you're being taught at a school then it's a no brainer to do what the school is doing. If you're homeschooled then do GCSE unless there is a reason why this causes a problem for private candidates, in which case pick IGCSE.
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
It doesn’t really matter, but if the school teaches the GCSE spec then I would opt for that.

so the exams are the same?
Original post by elia217
so the exams are the same?

No, the course specification will be different, and hence the exam papers will also be different.

Lots of the content will be similar but there will be content difference. Just take the exams your school teaches.
Reply 13
Original post by mnot
No, the course specification will be different, and hence the exam papers will also be different.

Lots of the content will be similar but there will be content difference. Just take the exams your school teaches.

what is the hence of exam?
Original post by elia217

If the specification for the course is different there will have to be different exam papers for each different specification.

Basically there will be differences.

I recommend taking the path your school teaches, normally your school will enter you automatically so you dont have to worry about this.
Original post by elia217

alternative wording: and so the exams will be different.

There is lots of shared content between different exam boards GCSE specifications for the same subject and lots (but not quite so much) between GCSE and IGCSE in the same subject but for each exam board the exams are different. If you're homeschooled (as you said you were on another thread) the get the textbooks for the exams you're going to take at the end.
Reply 16
Original post by Compost
alternative wording: and so the exams will be different.

There is lots of shared content between different exam boards GCSE specifications for the same subject and lots (but not quite so much) between GCSE and IGCSE in the same subject but for each exam board the exams are different. If you're homeschooled (as you said you were on another thread) the get the textbooks for the exams you're going to take at the end.

I am doing edxcel exams for my science and I just want to kniw that should I do GCSE or IGCSE?
Original post by elia217
I am doing edxcel exams for my science and I just want to kniw that should I do GCSE or IGCSE?

For Science, if you'll be taking the exams as a private candidate (because you are not attending lessons at a school) then take IGCSE.
Reply 18
Original post by Compost
For Science, if you'll be taking the exams as a private candidate (because you are not attending lessons at a school) then take IGCSE.

and if i take classes in school i should take GCSE
Original post by elia217
and if i take classes in school i should take GCSE

If you're attending classes at school then they will enter you for what they are teaching you and it would be daft to do anything else.

Quick Reply

Latest