The Student Room Group

pointless degrees

which are the most pointless/ least employable degree to study?
Reply 1
Original post by Libbyc16

No such thing. Dumb way to look at degrees.

Any degree is pointless, in this economy.
we had one of these last week.

but i don't think any are really useless - you do what you need for the future.
Art degrees
Depends on your ambitions and what you want to do in life. I teach tourism and no doubt it’s getting “mocked” continually for being “worthless” due to the current climate. Of course the industry will recover eventually.

useless mindset
Reply 7
I would say any degree which prepares you for a specific job - for example ‘armed service’, ‘primary education’ or ‘sport psychology’. It is better to get broad skills which will make you just as competitive in these specific areas, whilst also being able to do pretty much anything. For example mathematics, english literature, physics, history are all good options.

No degree is truly pointless, however, as most jobs simply require ‘a degree’, and the details are irrelevant compared to professional experience
Any degree which makes you feel like you've wasted your time and money.
Original post by Drewski
No such thing. Dumb way to look at degrees.

not when you're paying extortionate tuition and heading into global recession
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dexter345
Art degrees

i feel sorry for you
No degree is pointless, many graduate schemes don't require a specific subject. What, however, is pointless is going to uni for three years for the social life and never having had a part time job or any experience in the world of work. Those people should be the laughing stocks, not those that go to uni to study a subject they're passionate about (no matter how "soft")
Dentistry
Original post by Greg2003
I would say any degree which prepares you for a specific job - for example ‘armed service’, ‘primary education’ or ‘sport psychology’. It is better to get broad skills which will make you just as competitive in these specific areas, whilst also being able to do pretty much anything. For example mathematics, english literature, physics, history are all good options.

No degree is truly pointless, however, as most jobs simply require ‘a degree’, and the details are irrelevant compared to professional experience

Some primary education degrees grant QTS upon completion. So I don't think that is the best example of a useless degree, imo.
Original post by Greg2003

Agreed. A more general degree can be moulded to suit that job, as being broad you can find links much easier. A very specfic degree might limit you a lot more, given it's harder to relate the course to unrelated fields. Especially important when people don't know what they want to do when they enter work.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
Dentistry

/s i assume?
TSR reaches new levels of debate.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending