The Student Room Group

Can I complete AS and A level Maths by the end of the year?

I have been told that I need an A level qualification for a course that I am interested in. I was denied the September intake and was advised to try for the January opening.

I think I could pass the test if I apply myself (back in the day I got an A* at GCSE level and took one AS module early, getting an A in that too). So I think earning a C is possible in a short time frame if I study hard over the next few months.

The question is whether its possible to actually sit the two exams before January. It's dawned on me that I can't just sit the exam whenever, like you can complete some online courses.

Does anyone know of any exam boards that might hold exams close to January?

And do I need to take the AS exam in order to take the A level exam?
Reply 1
Which country are you in?

In the UK, A levels are only available in the Summer but elsewhere in the world there are other options.

However, don't forget, if you want to start university in January, you need to have taken the exams in time to have the results back before January and so I think you're already too late.
Reply 2
Okay good point.
I'm not sure what the exact start date for the course is. So getting results in early January may be good enough.
It may be that the university will give some kind of conditional offer, as long as they know I am taking the exam, and perhaps can demonstrate my abilities.

Im from the UK.
Can you tell me more about those international offerings to sit exams? Is there no way to take those exams as a UK citizen?
Original post by Krood
Okay good point.
I'm not sure what the exact start date for the course is. So getting results in early January may be good enough.
It may be that the university will give some kind of conditional offer, as long as they know I am taking the exam, and perhaps can demonstrate my abilities.

Im from the UK.
Can you tell me more about those international offerings to sit exams? Is there no way to take those exams as a UK citizen?

IAL courses aren't generally available by UK testing centres. Additionally you still wouldn't have completed the exams and gotten the results back before a January intake for IAL exams anyway.

You will have to take a gap year; there is no way to sit the exams before a January intake now, and even if you could, if you haven't studied any maths since GCSE it's highly unlikely you would be successful in those exams trying to crash through two years of content in a couple of months.

Have a look at accelerated A-level courses starting in September for maths. Your old school might also be able to accommodate you as an independent learner to take the exams there (or even allow you to join in their classes, possibly, as a "year 14" student - this was uncommon but allowed at my school for students who needed to take an A-level subject for uni they didn't originally).

Alternately depending on what degree course you're applying to, there may be a version with a foundation year that you could apply to through clearing instead.
Reply 4
Not meaning to brag, but I honestly think I could get a minimal pass in a couple of months given the chance.
I would be applying myself to this one qualification full time 6 hours+ a day, and I have always excelled at self-study and exams.

Im a mature student. My circumstances are such that I cannot take a gap year, and may not get another chance to take this course if I cannot enter in January.

If I could take an A-level in November or December I'm sure a C is within reach.
So please, if anyone knows of a way to do that, please let me know.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
I think your only option in the UK would be CAIE (the international arm of OCR) who have an Oct/Nov season for Zone 3 which includes the UK but I've had a look and the results aren't issued until mid January and it doesn't include Maths anyway.

No one has answered the question about whether you need to do AS as well. If you're taking exams in England, then A levels are now linear and there's no need to take AS as well as A level, you just do the A level (3 exams). If you're in Wales, or elsewhere in the world then A levels are still modular and you'd need to do both AS and A2 for the A level.
Reply 6
Original post by Compost
I think your only option in the UK would be CAIE (the international arm of OCR) who have an Oct/Nov season for Zone 3 which includes the UK but I've had a look and the results aren't issued until mid January and it doesn't include Maths anyway.

No one has answered the question about whether you need to do AS as well. If you're taking exams in England, then A levels are now linear and there's no need to take AS as well as A level, you just do the A level (3 exams). If you're in Wales, or elsewhere in the world then A levels are still modular and you'd need to do both AS and A2 for the A level.

Thanks compost, would you mind providing links of the results issuing time you read, and also where you read they that it doesn't include maths?

I just came across this document from their website, which talks about November 2020 examinations in maths:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/415060-2020-2022-syllabus.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Krood
Thanks compost, would you mind providing links of the results issuing time you read, and also where you read they that it doesn't include maths?

I just came across this document from their website, which talks about November 2020 examinations in maths:
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/415060-2020-2022-syllabus.pdf

https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/340822-november-2020-series-uk-.pdf
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/469283-zone-3-november-timetable.pdf
Reply 8

Thanks a lot!

So in the second document I just spotted
AL Mathematics (probability and statistics) on October 23 (page 7)
And AL Pure Mathamatics on October 30 (page 8)
(cant find a third one though...)

So are you sure it doesn't include A level, or did you mean something else? Or perhaps I misunderstand the document.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by Krood
Thanks a lot!

So in the second document I just spotted
AL Mathematics (probability and statistics) on October 23 (page 7)
And AL Pure Mathamatics on October 30 (page 8)
(cant find a third one though...)

So are you sure it doesn't include A level, or did you mean something else? Or perhaps I misunderstand the document.

You're right - I only glanced at it as the results would be too late for you anyway and I know very little about CAIE as it's not for teaching in the UK. If what is offered covers all the A level exams (you'd have to look up the spec and find out) and you do decide to try to take it then it will be hard to find a centre - 3A tutors in Bristol might be worth a go.
Reply 10
Thanks so much. 3A seem to offer independent Maths A-Level examinations, great! I would be self-studying with books and online resources, but I also have a contact who tutors Maths if I hit any walls.

I don't know the start date of the January course, if its in late Jan, I could be in luck. If not, I think the fact that I am sitting the exam might be a strong negotiating point. Depends how stickler they are.

Anyone know why I can only spot 2 CAIE Math A-levels in the document? There usually seems to be 3 with other exam boards.
https://www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/469283-zone-3-november-timetable.pdf
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Krood
Thanks so much. 3A seem to offer independent examinations, great! I would be self-studying with books and online resources, but I also have a contact who tutors Maths if I hit any walls.

I don't know the start date of the January course, if its in late Jan, I could be in luck. If not, I think the fact that I am sitting the exam might be a strong negotiating point. Depends how stickler they are.

Anyone know why I can only spot 2 CAIE Math A-levels in the document? There usually seems to be 3 with other exam boards.

As I said, CAIE is not my strong point but I think their A levels are still modular so you would have to take AS as well, whereas the 3 exams for a domestic A level in England is all you need.

Quick Reply

Latest