The Student Room Group

Funding for a PhD in History under Joint Supervision

Hi,

So I'm currently finishing my Masters in a Spanish Uni and am looking to start a PhD in History and split my studies between a Spanish Uni and an English one and, I must admit, when it comes to funding I am utterly clueless. The institutions that I have looked into all indicate for a September start date but I was hoping to start in January as I will not finish my Masters until mid-September and seem to have picked up the Spanish's trait of leaving everything until the last minute.
Can anyone offer advice on how I might proceed in getting funding for this joint supervised January start PhD in History..?
Original post by 1610
Hi,

So I'm currently finishing my Masters in a Spanish Uni and am looking to start a PhD in History and split my studies between a Spanish Uni and an English one and, I must admit, when it comes to funding I am utterly clueless. The institutions that I have looked into all indicate for a September start date but I was hoping to start in January as I will not finish my Masters until mid-September and seem to have picked up the Spanish's trait of leaving everything until the last minute.
Can anyone offer advice on how I might proceed in getting funding for this joint supervised January start PhD in History..?

So if your applying for January you need to get a move on as a lot of the funding may have already been allocated. I think your leaving it quite late.

I finished my master in September started my PhD October, it was fine, my first couple weeks was mostly reading the key papers in my area, I think your supervisor would be pretty understanding if you had to start at the same time your masters finishes.

The problem your going to have is getting funding for this September, I think you've left it too late regardless.

If you want to work in Spain why not just apply for PhDs at Spanish unis, as whilst I do know students who have gone abroad for their research element it tends to be for a limited time span say 6-12 months & it was for a prescribed studentship rather then a research proposal. I think just trying to get a mix & mash of funding and universities is not going to be possible unless you are applying to a PhD program that offers a set joint studentship.

Also you will almost certainly have at least 2 supervisors even if you are at one uni.
Original post by 1610
Hi,

Do a Masters in "Successful Rain Dancing and Effective Prayer to financially successful Deities"?

Seriously, your chances are slim to nil. There is not a surfeit of PhD funding for Humanities and what there is is very competitive. Starting in January is maybe 10% of the PhD population in total. Getting a Uni to be prepared to give funding to a student whose project is also reliant on an overseas university is minisculely rare.

I'm afraid, unless you've already got most of this in place, you need to re-think - funding is just not that available or flexible.
Reply 3
Original post by 1610
Hi,

Original post by mnot
So if your applying for January you need to get a move on as a lot of the funding may have already been allocated. I think your leaving it quite late.

I finished my master in September started my PhD October, it was fine, my first couple weeks was mostly reading the key papers in my area, I think your supervisor would be pretty understanding if you had to start at the same time your masters finishes.

The problem your going to have is getting funding for this September, I think you've left it too late regardless.

If you want to work in Spain why not just apply for PhDs at Spanish unis, as whilst I do know students who have gone abroad for their research element it tends to be for a limited time span say 6-12 months & it was for a prescribed studentship rather then a research proposal. I think just trying to get a mix & mash of funding and universities is not going to be possible unless you are applying to a PhD program that offers a set joint studentship.

Also you will almost certainly have at least 2 supervisors even if you are at one uni.

Thanks for the info. Bit of a pain in the arse to be honest and currently kicking myself for being so poorly organised. I can blame the Spanish system all I like but this is certainly on me, being English I should have known how things work here. Shall perhaps delay proceedings until next September but the best course is, as you say, just staying in Spain as they are only just starting to take the applications for an October start!
Original post by 1610
Thanks for the info. Bit of a pain in the arse to be honest and currently kicking myself for being so poorly organised. I can blame the Spanish system all I like but this is certainly on me, being English I should have known how things work here. Shall perhaps delay proceedings until next September but the best course is, as you say, just staying in Spain as they are only just starting to take the applications for an October start!

Why not just apply to Spanish unis, if there funding window runs later & you want to work there.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending