The Student Room Group

Will teaching placements be going ahead if the schools remain open in September?

Im starting on a teacher training course at Sheffield Hallam University in September, and am extremely worried about the circumstances surrounding teaching placements after an email I got today saying it may be harder to secure them.

So my question is basically, should the schools remain open from September onwards as is currently set out by the government, will teaching placements, and as a result teaching bursaries, still be going ahead?
Reply 1
Mine are going ahead from mid Oct
Original post by gjd800
Mine are going ahead from mid Oct

So you've already had confirmation of which schools you'll be attending?
Reply 3
Original post by Sakurastressvall

not of which schools, but that all placements are starting as normal in mid-Oct

they only let us know last week, there was a month of umming and ahhing (I'm not at hallam, either)
(edited 3 years ago)
I'm at Hallam for PGCE this Sept, I assume you're doing a maths or science one? where the placements are more sparse because of demand as I haven't had that email today :s-smilie:
Original post by miss.eleanora
I'm at Hallam for PGCE this Sept, I assume you're doing a maths or science one? where the placements are more sparse because of demand as I haven't had that email today :s-smilie:

I'm actually doing English
Im starting on a teacher training course at Sheffield Hallam University in September, and am extremely worried about the circumstances surrounding teaching placements after an email I got today saying it may be harder to secure them.

So my question is basically, should the schools remain open from September onwards as is currently set out by the government, will teaching placements, and as a result teaching bursaries, still be going ahead?

Hi @Sakurastressvall,

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your upcoming studies and the placements that are usually offered on this course. The email is likely to be a pre-warning as the academic staff like everyone else cannot predict how many placements will be on offer due to the current effects of the pandemic. They are working really hard to make sure as many teaching placements as possible aren't affected. You can speak to an adviser from our course enquiries team about your concerns on our weekly live chat on Wednesdays 1-4pm who may be able to settle your nerves and give you a clearer answer. :smile:
Take care!
- Ella

Hello @Sakurastressvall

It's very uncommon for any of the school placements to be confirmed for individual trainees before the courses begin on university led (and sometimes school led) teacher training courses, as there are a multiple of variables that course leaders need to take into account. First, they need to know which students are attending the course, and as recruitment is not yet completed, they won't know this yet. Next they will need to consider any reasonable adjustments needed for any individuals. They will take into account how people travel and the proximity of the placement to the beginner teachers residence. They will also consider which placement might be better suited to the ambitions of the aspiring teachers. For example, one may wish to experience an Alternative Educations provision, whereas, another may hate the idea! This is common practice irrespective of the situation presented by COVID, so it's not something that you ought to be worrying about at this stage, as if schools do have to close again in compliance with government directive, there will be a contingency plan implemented to make sure you attain your ambition of becoming a teacher.

Wishing you the very best, and a restful summer,

Jane
I'm actually doing English

I hope Jane has settled your nerves above. :h:
Following my previous response you can also find all key information about the new academic year on our Studying at Sheffield Hallam in September page and our Coronavirus Applicant Advice page.
- Ella

It's far more likely you will have a longer commute or paired placement- I think if a uni knows by September they won't be able to secure enough placements, they will ask for volunteers to defer etc. By September, unis and schools will have a much clearer picture of what is going on.

I think it's good the uni is being honest and communicating with you.

However, no-one can guarantee what will happen in the autumn at the moment, particularly if we get a big spike in cases. If, for example, you're currently in a secure job, I'd seriously consider deferring to next year. It's likely you'd have a better training experience then anyway.
Original post by SarcAndSpark
It's far more likely you will have a longer commute or paired placement- I think if a uni knows by September they won't be able to secure enough placements, they will ask for volunteers to defer etc. By September, unis and schools will have a much clearer picture of what is going on.

I think it's good the uni is being honest and communicating with you.

However, no-one can guarantee what will happen in the autumn at the moment, particularly if we get a big spike in cases. If, for example, you're currently in a secure job, I'd seriously consider deferring to next year. It's likely you'd have a better training experience then anyway.

This was a perfect response to the OPs concerns.

We still need teachers and people would normally need to undertake a minimum number of days on placement to qualify (this minimum was reduced this year to accommodate lockdown). Maybe this will be reduced again next year but I can't see the DofE saying people can qualify without classroom-based experience. Don't forget, if teachers are back to teaching it's because they're able to do so. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to undergo placements as long as social distancing between you and other members of staff and mentor can be maintained.

If the government doesn't really know what's going to happen, schools and PGCE-course providers don't either. For all we know we could be in lockdown again in the future. Don't let that interfere with your aspirations though. They can't cope with a year of zero new teachers entering the profession so they'll need to accommodate people such as yourself somehow.
Original post by username5359312

Don't forget, if teachers are back to teaching it's because they're able to do so. I don't see why you wouldn't be able to undergo placements as long as social distancing between you and other members of staff and mentor can be maintained.

I'm just going to highlight this a little bit-

Most teachers do not think the conditions in school in September will be safe for them or students. There will be no PPE, most teachers in secondary will not be staying with one bubble. Most classrooms do not allow for full social distancing between teachers and students.

You talk about social distancing between staff, but I think it's really odd you don't mention students, as their safety is obviously a priority for schools. Having an extra adult in the room makes it harder for everyone to practice social distancing, which is one reason schools may be reluctant to host trainees.

Most teachers also think it is fairly likely there will be some disruption to schools over the next term, because it's very likely there will be infections in schools, and this will lead to whole bubbles having to self isolate, and potentially not enough teachers being available to open the school (never mind local lockdowns etc).

Just because the DfE is saying we should do something does NOT mean it is automatically safe.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending