The Student Room Group

Heavy metal

Hello all! I feel like heavy metal is really cool and I kind of want to get a little more into it, but I don't really know very much about heavy metal bands and none of my friends are into it. I've listened to a few Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath songs but that's pretty much it.

Recommendations would be great!

Also, completely off topic, but when I wrote 'heavy metal' in the question title it automatically got put into the chemistry forum and I had to change it to music. Found it kind of funny haha...
Reply 1
Hi
i believe @khadijaaaxxxx is the person you should ask
she is an avid fan of heavy metal music , maybe send her a dm? (she might be offline atm tho)
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by megan_e
Hi again!!
i believe @khadijaaaxxxx is the person you should ask
she is a avid fan of heavy metal music , maybe send her a dm? (she might be offline atm tho)
:smile:

thank you for tagging me haha!x
Original post by spqr101
Hello all! I feel like heavy metal is really cool and I kind of want to get a little more into it, but I don't really know very much about heavy metal bands and none of my friends are into it. I've listened to a few Iron Maiden and Black Sabbath songs but that's pretty much it.

Recommendations would be great!

Also, completely off topic, but when I wrote 'heavy metal' in the question title it automatically got put into the chemistry forum and I had to change it to music. Found it kind of funny haha...

i LOVE heavy metal so im willing to give you some suggestions (:
Reply 3
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
thank you for tagging me haha!x

i LOVE heavy metal so im willing to give you some suggestions (:

Yes please haha! prsom btw:biggrin:
Original post by spqr101
Yes please haha! prsom btw:biggrin:

ok so there's loads of different sub-genres in metal.

https://youtu.be/lmiY714bbWc
that's one youtube video you can watch that explains all the different sub genres (:
personally im into thrash metal and death metal so that includes bands such as: slayer, anthrax, overkill, megadeth, cannibal corpse, morbid angel and dying fetus.
what bands are you listening to currently?
:headbang::headbang::headbang:
Reply 5
@Arthur_Morgan
You seem to listen to alot of heavy metal
TOOL, Dream Theater, Slipknot, Pantera, Dragonforce, Sabaton, Korn, System of a Down, Haken, Megadeath, Soundgarden

Those are just a few that I listen to. I included a few different genres of metal in there just to keep it fresh innit.
Reply 7
If you like the Heaven and Hell era of Sabbath then you'll love Dio's solo stuff

Motorhead are a mainstay, though Lem would spin in his grave at being called 'metal' :lol: My fave album of theirs is probably between Overkill or Bomber, but the live No Sleep Till Hammersmith is one of the heater live albums of all time

GnR Appetite for Destruction. Not really metal, but one of the best debut hard rock records ever

Slayer, more of an acquired taste but did a string of iconic albums between 83 and 1990. Reign in Blood is infamous but Seasons or Show No Mercy are probably my faves

Megadeth, Rust in Peace, Peace Sells, Youthanasia albums.

Metallica from Kill Em All to Black album. Ride the Lightning easily their best, imo

Anthrax, Spreading the Disease. Great album

Judas Priest, loads of great stuff spanning 50 years nearly. Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller are my fave two.

Deep Purple more hard rock than metal but imo one of the greatest bands of all time. Struggle to think of a release I disliked, but Machine Head is iconic.

Pantera - Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power, Great Southern Trendkill. All class

Merciful Fate, pretty much anything of theirs is brilliant, but dark and weird. Falsetto vox take a bit of getting used to

They are my fave non-weird metal acts, probably
Reply 8
Wow there really is a lot to explore... I'll definitely take a look. Thanks so much!
Reply 9
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
ok so there's loads of different sub-genres in metal.

https://youtu.be/lmiY714bbWc
that's one youtube video you can watch that explains all the different sub genres (:
personally im into thrash metal and death metal so that includes bands such as: slayer, anthrax, overkill, megadeth, cannibal corpse, morbid angel and dying fetus.
what bands are you listening to currently?
:headbang::headbang::headbang:

Original post by gjd800
If you like the Heaven and Hell era of Sabbath then you'll love Dio's solo stuff

Motorhead are a mainstay, though Lem would spin in his grave at being called 'metal' :lol: My fave album of theirs is probably between Overkill or Bomber, but the live No Sleep Till Hammersmith is one of the heater live albums of all time

GnR Appetite for Destruction. Not really metal, but one of the best debut hard rock records ever

Slayer, more of an acquired taste but did a string of iconic albums between 83 and 1990. Reign in Blood is infamous but Seasons or Show No Mercy are probably my faves

Metallica from Kill Em All to Black album. Ride the Lightning easily their best, imo

Judas Priest, loads of great stuff spanning 50 years nearly. Screaming for Vengeance and Painkiller are my fave two.

Deep Purple more hard rock than metal but imo one of the greatest bands of all time. Struggle to think of a release I disliked, but Machine Head is iconic.

Pantera - Cowboys from Hell, Vulgar Display of Power, Great Southern Trendkill. All class

Merciful Fate, pretty much anything of theirs is brilliant, but dark and weird. Falsetto vox take a bit of getting used to

prsom
Original post by gjd800

agreed
Reply 11
If you like angry punk influenced stuff, the first Frank Carter & the rattlesnakes album is exceptional
Some of my favourite metal bands include;
Kamelot
Epica
Dragonforce
Dream Theater,
Xandria
Eluveitie
Rhapsody of Fire
Visions of Atlantis.

Another band I only found out about recently are Frozen Crown & I'm really liking them at the moment.

Metal is an incredibly diverse genre.
If you're after trad metal stuff I got nothing.
This is a great doom metal song tho

if you're interested in extreme metal tho (subgenres like grindcore, brutal death metal, black metal etc.) I got a lot of recommendations

and even tho I'm not a fan myself I hear this is a good entry into black metal cause of the shoegaze elements lol
woops forgot to post some of my favourite lo-fi black metal eps too.

This one is by Little Ugly Mane funnily enough. His rap stuff is ok but Sleep Until It Hurts You is so raw

Quick Reply

Latest