The Student Room Group

is uni all it seems to be?

in movies you see people going off to university and it all seems really fun and like they gain loads of independence, but is that the reality? to me, uni seems really nice like getting your own apartment and meeting new people. so is it really as good as the movies portray?

Scroll to see replies

For sure it can be at times. But not much light is shed on the utter loneliness you sometimes feel, existential crises, and sometimes being overwhelmed by new responsibilities that come with being newly independent. Though I think the possible "bad" parts of it are good in the long run as they are part of the "discovering yourself" process.
(edited 3 years ago)
Well I guess that would depend entirely on which movies you're watching!

But to be honest, all uni itself brings is potential. As cheesy as it sounds, it's you that really makes things happen. If you want friends, you won't make them sitting in your room. If you want experiences, you need to join societies, sign up for trips, etc. The number of people who come on here posting about being disappointed about their experience, and when questioned all they're doing is sitting in their room waiting for the fun to come to them, is shocking. Most things that happen at uni are arranged by students, for students, so you need to throw yourself into everything you can, and give as much as you take.

The enjoyment won't come to you, but yes, university absolutely has the potential to be the most enjoyable experience of your life so far.
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
in movies you see people going off to university and it all seems really fun and like they gain loads of independence, but is that the reality? to me, uni seems really nice like getting your own apartment and meeting new people. so is it really as good as the movies portray?

:lol:

Very few people get their own 'apartment' :tongue: studio apartments cost an absolute bomb. Most people have a single room with a shared kitchen and sometimes an en suite depending on how much they want to pay.
Personally uni was meh, i was there to get my degree not much else. I'm not a party person type and much of the university society activities involve some kind of drinking or general loudness that i wasnt into. It depends what you want out of it, some people love it but for the average introvert i would say it's not all it's cracked up to be.
I doubt they show washing your underpants in your sink when you run out of money for the laundrette in the movies :wink:
Original post by CoolCavy
:lol:

Very few people get their own 'apartment' :tongue: studio apartments cost an absolute bomb. Most people have a single room with a shared kitchen and sometimes an en suite depending on how much they want to pay.
Personally uni was meh, i was there to get my degree not much else. I'm not a party person type and much of the university society activities involve some kind of drinking or general loudness that i wasnt into. It depends what you want out of it, some people love it but for the average introvert i would say it's not all it's cracked up to be.
I doubt they show washing your underpants in your sink when you run out of money for the laundrette in the movies :wink:

my dad said he might get me an apartment but id much rather buy it myself haha. im quite introverted and partying isnt really my thing so that's why i was curious to see what uni was really like. ty for the reply though (:
It's what you make it.
my dad said he might get me an apartment but id much rather buy it myself haha. im quite introverted and partying isnt really my thing so that's why i was curious to see what uni was really like. ty for the reply though (:

Would you dad get you a flat, though?

personally, if i didn't need to have a degree for the career i want, i wouldn't go. it's not awful but it's definitely over hyped and like the other person said, you don't realize the impact on your mental health it can have. just by living in halls which cause me to be sleep deprived from all the noise really f*cked me over
Original post by Reality Check
Would you dad get you a flat, though?

huh?
i mean he said he would but i dont want him too lmao
Original post by Synergy_
For sure it can be, in my opinion. But not much light is shed on the loneliness you sometimes feel, existential crises, and sometimes being overwhelmed by new responsibilities when newly independent. though I think the possible "bad" parts of it are good in the long run as they are part of the discovering yourself process that accelerates, for some, at the brink of adulthood.

Yes this is true, society treats loneliness as an elderly person's issue but it is sadly rife on campuses :frown:

Not to pry but buy it with what? Even the max loan wont cover studio apartments most of the time and if your parents earn a lot you wont be entitled to much from student finance, personally i feel like that would be a huge waste of money (even to rent) considering you are only at uni for 3 years usually. SAs are reportedly meant to be quite isolating as well since although sharing a house isnt the best fun all the time with an apartment you are completely on your own. If you are privileged enough to have that kind of funding save it for something wiser in the future like a deposit for a house once you are settled in one area.
Yes this is true, society treats loneliness as an elderly person's issue but it is sadly rife on campuses :frown:

Not to pry but buy it with what? Even the max loan wont cover studio apartments most of the time and if your parents earn a lot you wont be entitled to much from student finance, personally i feel like that would be a huge waste of money (even to rent) considering you are only at uni for 3 years usually. SAs are reportedly meant to be quite isolating as well since although sharing a house isnt the best fun all the time with an apartment you are completely on your own. If you are privileged enough to have that kind of funding save it for something wiser in the future.

fair enough
Original post by Anonymous
personally, if i didn't need to have a degree for the career i want, i wouldn't go. it's not awful but it's definitely over hyped and like the other person said, you don't realize the impact on your mental health it can have. just by living in halls which cause me to be sleep deprived from all the noise really f*cked me over

This is how i feel as well, i was there for the course and the course only to be honest. Pretty much all jobs in the sector i want require at least a bachelors, university was a means to an end :redface:
This is how i feel as well, i was there for the course and the course only to be honest. Pretty much all jobs in the sector i want require at least a bachelors, university was a means to an end :redface:

yeah i mean in the movies people at uni seem to have endless parties and loads of fun but im not really like that so lonlieness just seems inevitable for me :/
It is what you make of it. Nothing more and nothing less.
It's overrated, but also what you make of it. Also, some people show up not being able to do the most basic of things to keep themselves alive and well and it's kinda pathetic. A good learning curver however...unless they are still as useless come graduation.

The amount of times I've cried alone in my room without my flatmates having a clue :frown:
Original post by gigaberry
The amount of times I've cried alone in my room without my flatmates having a clue :frown:

omg no thats so sad :/
omg no thats so sad :/

It sucks. You're surrounded by people and have loads of friends, then realise your friendships are very superficial and mainly out of convenience. This is my second degree now so it wasn't a big surprise to me. Don't get me wrong, however, I have made several absolutely wonderful friends who do make it worth it.
Reply 18
Nah. I didn't live a student-y life. I was older so saw it all a different way. I worked hard in the week and got pissed of a weekend. Was also a carer for me Nan, so I had more going on anyway
Reply 19
there are no keg parties like in the movies (no one has that kind of money). probably have a few drinks in your flat before you head to a club or whatever.

the independence part, i mean depends how you define it. you have to cook for yourself and do your own laundry if that counts as independence.

i spent most of my time in the library and became the known library junkie. pretty nerdy/boring :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest