The Student Room Group
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London

Scroll to see replies

Course(s) you're applying for at LSE Maths and/with econ
Other universities you're applying for i dont quite know yet but probs other russell group unis
GCSE grades 999888A*A*77777
Predicted A-level grades & subjects A*A*A*A* (maths, further maths, physics and econ)
Home country UK
(edited 3 years ago)
Carr Saunders Halls, LSE
London School of Economics
London
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Law
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Durham, Kings, and probably Exeter
GCSE grades: 9888888876
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A (Law, Maths, English Lit)
Home country: England
Course(s) you're applying for: Maths and/with economics
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, UCL, Durham, Warwick
GCSE grades: 9999998887
Predicted A level grades and subjects: A*A*AA (Mathematics, Physics, Economics, Futher Mathematics)
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: bsc finance/bsc financial mathematics and statistics
Other universities you're applying for: UCL/KCL
GCSE grades: 999D*888A66
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A(mathematics, business studies, economics)
Home country: england
Course(s) I'm applying for at LSE: Bsc Acturial Science
Other Universities I'm applying for: Warwick, Bath, Exeter, UCL
GCSE grades: 9A*1A
Predict A-level grades & subjects: A*A*A*A (Mathematics, Further Mathematics, Chemistry, Economics)
Home Country: Malaysia

It would be great if you could advice me on how a four a level subject conditional offer would be. I read somewhere that the usual 4 A level offer is AAAE (pass in fourth subject). However with my further mathematics subject combination, do they usually specify the E requirement to belong to Further Mathematics, meaning AAAE(A in Maths and E in Further Mathematics)? Or is there a case where AAAE (A in Maths) with no specific subject for the fourth a level?

Many thanks in advance! :smile:
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Politics and international relations
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Warwick, Durham
GCSE grades: 999999888
Predicted A-level grades & subjects A*A*AA (english literature, EPQ, economics, politics)
Hi Lucy,

needed your inputs please. My A level subjects are Math, Economics, History and Chemistry. The predictions have not come yet but I expect A* Math and A in all the three other subjects (best case I might possibly get A* in one or two of the other three). My GCSE math score was 6 hence though my school has Further Maths at A level but I was not allowed to take it. My GCSE has combination of 9, 8,7 and 6.

What are my chances to get Economics at LSE. I am very keen on Economics hence have worked very hard on Maths and expecting A*. Is there anything else I can do to show that I can handle Further maths with ease. Based on my focus and work ethic, I expect my teacher to mention my commitment to Maths and the extra work as part of the reference. I am a home student.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much for the help
Original post by Anonymous
Hi Lucy,

needed your inputs please. My A level subjects are Math, Economics, History and Chemistry. The predictions have not come yet but I expect A* Math and A in all the three other subjects (best case I might possibly get A* in one or two of the other three). My GCSE math score was 6 hence though my school has Further Maths at A level but I was not allowed to take it. My GCSE has combination of 9, 8,7 and 6.

What are my chances to get Economics at LSE. I am very keen on Economics hence have worked very hard on Maths and expecting A*. Is there anything else I can do to show that I can handle Further maths with ease. Based on my focus and work ethic, I expect my teacher to mention my commitment to Maths and the extra work as part of the reference. I am a home student.

I will greatly appreciate your advice.

Thank you so much for the help

As I don’t have any insider insight into the LSE admissions process (I’m just a student), I’m afraid I can’t answer questions as niche as this.

All I can really tell you is the general fact that without Further Maths, your chances of BSc Economics are less than 5%, while they’d be closer to 40% if you had it.

For a question as detailed as yours, you’d be better off emailing LSE and asking them.
Thank you Lucy. Any suggestion on what I can do more or any additional course to demonstrate my Maths capability.

Thanks again
Original post by Anonymous
Thank you Lucy. Any suggestion on what I can do more or any additional course to demonstrate my Maths capability.

Thanks again

Would self studying AS Further Maths be a possibility?

You could get started over the summer and then take it next summer.
Sure Lucy, thank you. I will explore the idea.

Kind regards
SCOTTISH APPLICANT
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE Economics
Other universities you're applying for Cambridge, UCL, Edinburgh, St Andrews
GCSE grades 8 A's (National 5), 5 A's (predicted Higher, results coming in August)
Predicted A-level grades & subjects 4 A's (Advanced Higher)
Home country Scotland
Is this thread still active haha?
Course: Economics and Politics
Other universities: Leeds, Warwick, Manchester, Durham (maybe)
(I)GCSE: A*A*A*A*A*AA D(I want to cry about this)
Predicted A level: Haven't come out yet, will in September (Math, Economics, Psychology, Sociology)
Home Country: India
Disclaimer: mature-age applicant here! I'd also love to know what you think of my stats and chances, please!
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Warwick
GCSE grades: 6A* 1A
A-level grades: TANKED IT: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Information Tech at BCCC and AS English at A
Predicted grades: BA in Political Science + Minor in English Lit, predicted GPA 3.75/4 (first class equivalent)
Extracurriculars: teaching assistant at the university level, student government, 3-month long internship with a human rights law chamber, volunteering teaching English to support staff
Home country: India
Reply 15
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Economics BSc
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Nottingham
GCSE grades: 9999999998
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: Maths, Further maths, Economics, History, EPQ A*A*A*AA*
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by g.ana
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: Economics BSc
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, Warwick, UCL, Bath (?) Durham (?)
GCSE grades: 9999999998
Predicted A-level grades & subjects: Maths, Further maths, Economics, History, EPQ (all A*-A predictions)

Just to check, is Maths one of your A* predictions?
Original post by budumbumtsh
Disclaimer: mature-age applicant here! I'd also love to know what you think of my stats and chances, please!
Other universities you're applying for: Cambridge, UCL, Kings, Warwick
GCSE grades: 6A* 1A
A-level grades: TANKED IT: Math, Physics, Chemistry, Information Tech at BCCC and AS English at A
Predicted grades: BA in Political Science + Minor in English Lit, predicted GPA 3.75/4 (first class equivalent)
Extracurriculars: teaching assistant at the university level, student government, 3-month long internship with a human rights law chamber, volunteering teaching English to support staff
Home country: India

Are you applying for LLB law? Or for a masters?

If Masters, then you might want to start a postgrad thread, as this is the undergrad applicants thread.

If you are applying to do a second undergraduate degree, and this is the right thread for you, then regarding your chances, all I can really tell you is that the offer rate for LLB Law at LSE is 20%.

I'm don't have any information on which to calculate individual applicants' chances of an offer - I don't work for LSE admissions, and I have no access to their methods or data.

Additionally, anything I do know relates to typical school-leaver applicants applying with their A-level or IB grades (as they form the vast majority of these threads!). Mature applicants such as yourself, applying with non-traditional qualifications (in that you already have an undergrad degree) are assessed by LSE on a case by case basis.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by LeapingLucy
Are you applying for LLB law? Or for a masters?

If Masters, then you might want to start a postgrad thread, as this is the undergrad applicants thread.

If you are applying to do a second undergraduate degree, and this is the right thread for you, then regarding your chances, all I can really tell you is that the offer rate for LLB Law at LSE is 20%.

I'm don't have any information on which to calculate individual applicants' chances of an offer - I don't work for LSE admissions, and I have no access to their methods or data.

Additionally, anything I do know relates to typical school-leaver applicants applying with their A-level or IB grades (as they form the vast majority of these threads!). Mature applicants such as yourself, applying with non-traditional qualifications (in that you already have an undergrad degree) are assessed by LSE on a case by case basis.

Hey, I'm applying for an LLB, thanks for your help though!
Reply 19
Course(s) you're applying for at LSE: BSc Economics.
Other universities you're applying for: UCL, Warwick, Bristol, Manchester.
GCSE grades: 99988888777 and A in addmaths.
Predicted A-level grades: A*A*A*A in Maths, Econ, Phys and Further Maths.
Home country: England.
(edited 3 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending