The Student Room Group

approaching strangers in public how often do you do it?

I'm trying to work on my social skill and wanted to know if its okay or creepy and to randomly try talk to someone I wouldn't know? since lock-down has made me a complete recluse.

Scroll to see replies

Well, it depends on the context. I wouldn't walk up to someone randomly and start talking to them. Maybe every once in a while say 'hope you have a good day' to a few people.
it might be a bit weird if you just walk up to a random person and talk to them, since you don't really know eachother. you could try going to fitness classes or social clubs and meet friends there.
Go for it! As someone who used to be so quiet, I got my dog and it helped massively. Try little things like if you're in a shop and are unsure of something, ask someone-anyone! I was in Primark Christmas time and approached a stranger to ask if the slippers I was holding were cats or rabbits haha. The way I see it-they are just people. If they are rude then oh well, idc. I've been nice-they are the *******. I've never had this though-I've had people try and talk down to me but that's it. Go for it :smile: Tell a stranger you like their dog etc
Reply 4
Original post by khadijaaaxxxx
it might be a bit weird if you just walk up to a random person and talk to them, since you don't really know eachother. you could try going to fitness classes or social clubs and meet friends there.h

How about I ask for them to take a pic of me? then engage small talk afterwards? rn there arent really any clubs going on tbh

Original post by 5hyl33n
Well, it depends on the context. I wouldn't walk up to someone randomly and start talking to them. Maybe every once in a while say 'hope you have a good day' to a few people.

I don't have much of a choice cause of lock down most places shut down

Original post by Anonymous
Go for it! As someone who used to be so quiet, I got my dog and it helped massively. Try little things like if you're in a shop and are unsure of something, ask someone-anyone! I was in Primark Christmas time and approached a stranger to ask if the slippers I was holding were cats or rabbits haha. The way I see it-they are just people. If they are rude then oh well, idc. I've been nice-they are the *******. I've never had this though-I've had people try and talk down to me but that's it. Go for it :smile: Tell a stranger you like their dog etc

Reading that makes me nervous but ig Ill try that sometime lol
Original post by bvllvh
How about I ask for them to take a pic of me? then engage small talk afterwards? rn there arent really any clubs going on tbh

I don't have much of a choice cause of lock down most places shut down

Reading that makes me nervous but ig Ill try that sometime lol

i mean, yeah why not ahah.
seems like a good way to start a conversation (:
Reply 6
I've lived that lifestyle and honestly it made me depressed💀 but at least if you still have your social skills you should be fine
never tbh
No it’s not weird if u need help or something like that, I only do it if I am lost or I need help in a store from one of the workers. But don’t go up to people to make friends like that tho
Reply 9
Original post by Geraldthegoat
No it’s not weird if u need help or something like that, I only do it if I am lost or I need help in a store from one of the workers. But don’t go up to people to make friends like that tho

how do u suggest I meet new people? other than uni clubs and pubs
well randomly approaching a stranger for no reason is a bit strange! but if you are in a coffee shop or clothes shop where you could have small talk about something like what they chose to drink or general conversation, then that's fine. or if you're waiting in a queue and like that person's top you could give a compliment depends on how confident you are. it's always best to be friendly and have small talk as it builds your social skills but do whatever you're comfortable with :smile: if they seem approachable of course. if they are giving you looks then avoid that person fr
Reply 11
Not even to shop for biscoff spread? Or have you got a supermarket delivery slot just for that?
Original post by bvllvh
how do u suggest I meet new people? other than uni clubs and pubs?

coffee shop? sometimes it quite hard to meet new people igy but what about friends of friends?????
Reply 13
Original post by laura.barrett13
coffee shop? sometimes it quite hard to meet new people igy but what about friends of friends?????

all my friends left. so that isnt an option....and in coffee shops people tend to mind their own business too but Ill try that too
I (pre covid) regularly would say hi and try to strike up conversations with strangers, mainly just in the park e.g. if an old man/women were just sitting alone in the park I'd just go up to them and say hi, if I get a hi back I proceed to ask how they are and just have a short conversation with them. As I went through a time where a simple hi from someone would of made my day, well actually it'd still make my day, but loneliness is a serious problem especially amongst the elderly so I try and make people feel noticed, to feel like someone cares about them, it's just a kind gesture.
I'm not actually that confident just I know first hand the benefit it can create so that is what drives me to do it.

I'd never do this to try and do more than small talk though.
Reply 15
Might be a bit awkward to go up to someone and just start chatting :lol:
Ive met and have had nice conversations with quite a few people on buses, though :smile:
When i'm in a weird mood i wave and smile at random people, sometimes people look at me strangely because of it lol but occasionally there are fun conversations.
Other than that i avoid people like the plague. :h:
(edited 3 years ago)
Hardly ever, at least in this country. When out for my daily walk and passing by a person being walked by their dog sometimes a 'hello' is exchanged, but not much more.
Reply 18
I guess most of it is down to context. I don’t personally do it, but I’d never have a problem with someone coming up to me randomly and starting a conversation. If I were on my own in a coffee shop, in a queue somewhere, chilling at a park. I welcome chat with people generally speaking. However the British nature is to find that slightly weird, and you probably wouldn’t get the best of responses most of the time. Don’t let that stop you though!
Reply 19
Original post by Max1989
I (pre covid) regularly would say hi and try to strike up conversations with strangers, mainly just in the park e.g. if an old man/women were just sitting alone in the park I'd just go up to them and say hi, if I get a hi back I proceed to ask how they are and just have a short conversation with them. As I went through a time where a simple hi from someone would of made my day, well actually it'd still make my day, but loneliness is a serious problem especially amongst the elderly so I try and make people feel noticed, to feel like someone cares about them, it's just a kind gesture.
I'm not actually that confident just I know first hand the benefit it can create so that is what drives me to do it.

I'd never do this to try and do more than small talk though.

omg I went to the park today with that same intention but I just couldn't bring myself to do it :frown: no elderly though

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending