The Student Room Group

What's your university doing in September/October (because of covid-19)?

Just because I'm nosy, what are your universities/firm choices doing in September?

Edited to clarify: is it purely online? Are lectures online but seminars in person?
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

No clue, anyone heard from uni of bham?
- Social distancing in face-to-face teaching
- One way systems throughout campus
- Online lectures
- Hand sanitiser dotted around campus
- Giving each student 2 washable, reusable facemasks and hand sanitiser when the academic year starts
Mainly online. Some face-to-face small group teaching (socially distanced with masks). But the phrasing is something about all student receiving some face-to-face teaching this semester, which I guess could mean anything from most seminars in person, to one hour in the whole semester.
It's mostly online. I think they had more worthwhile plans but the university has screwed itself over financially and had to get rid of loads of people. So 'small group teaching' had become online large group teaching for some things.
Something called 'Resposive Blended Learning' which is all online for the time being as far as I can tell. I think there will be some small group tutorials in the future, but not at the start of term.
Original post by A1renegade
Something called 'Resposive Blended Learning' which is all online for the time being as far as I can tell. I think there will be some small group tutorials in the future, but not at the start of term.

Which university is this?:smile:
Are you okay with that policy?

Original post by gigaberry
It's mostly online. I think they had more worthwhile plans but the university has screwed itself over financially and had to get rid of loads of people. So 'small group teaching' had become online large group teaching for some things.

So would seminars for example be in person?
Original post by KittyN
Mainly online. Some face-to-face small group teaching (socially distanced with masks). But the phrasing is something about all student receiving some face-to-face teaching this semester, which I guess could mean anything from most seminars in person, to one hour in the whole semester.

How do you feel about that?

Original post by Mesopotamian.
- Social distancing in face-to-face teaching
- One way systems throughout campus
- Online lectures
- Hand sanitiser dotted around campus
- Giving each student 2 washable, reusable facemasks and hand sanitiser when the academic year starts

So are you mainly having face-to-face teaching in smaller groups?
I like that they're giving 2 masks! I think that's nice
Original post by Euphoria101
So are you mainly having face-to-face teaching in smaller groups?
I like that they're giving 2 masks! I think that's nice

QMUL
I do a healthcare course so face to face teaching is unavoidable but due to social distancing, it won’t be so much that the groups are smaller (because our clinical groups are a fixed number) but there will be less groups in labs/ clinics at any one time I think.
Yes, it’s a nice touch :smile:

In general for all courses, they’re taking a ‘blended-learning approach’ - so an increased use of online teaching with the usual face-to-face teaching.

Edit: to answer your edit, yeah I think any seminars which can’t be suitably delivered online will be given in smaller face to face groups
(edited 3 years ago)
How do you feel about that?

Sheffield. I suppose it depends what they actually mean. I’ll be happy as long as I have some face-to-face classes every week.
We're having hybrid of face to face and online lectures for semester 1 and then normal at semester 2 of things get better.
They say everything will be 100% study . Honestly dunno how would that work for all the courses. Online exam would be stupid because ppl can easily cheat .
I have no idea how teaching will be like since communication from my course has been ridiculous it is now almost August and the only email I received was a month ago about when results will be released. Appalling. They have however, confirmed that exams may be online next year also
Are you okay with that policy?

Heriot-Watt. I'm still not sure how I feel about this, I'm going to have to see what it's like before I make any solid opinions on it. What's annoying is I'm planning on staying in halls, which are on campus, so it's probably going to be very boring for 3 or 4 months since most of the buildings will be shut. I'm also doing an engineering degree and I can imagine some things are going to be difficult to learn unless there's practical demonstrations of it, which there probably won't be for a while.
Original post by Mesopotamian.
QMUL
I do a healthcare course so face to face teaching is unavoidable but due to social distancing, it won’t be so much that the groups are smaller (because our clinical groups are a fixed number) but there will be less groups in labs/ clinics at any one time I think.
Yes, it’s a nice touch :smile:

In general for all courses, they’re taking a ‘blended-learning approach’ - so an increased use of online teaching with the usual face-to-face teaching.

Edit: to answer your edit, yeah I think any seminars which can’t be suitably delivered online will be given in smaller face to face groups

Nice, I think it's harder when you do subjects where you NEED to do lab work and whatnot...are your humanities counterparts likely going to do more online learning do you think?:smile:

Original post by KittyN
Sheffield. I suppose it depends what they actually mean. I’ll be happy as long as I have some face-to-face classes every week.

I agree, having it all online must be bad tbh. I'm surprised Cambridge announced their plans of having all teaching online so early (pretty sure they decided in April?).

Original post by Galdiowolf
We're having hybrid of face to face and online lectures for semester 1 and then normal at semester 2 of things get better.

Yeah I'm hoping for everyone that the second semester returns back 'to normal', with hopefully a massive reduction in the spread of the virus! I'm not attending uni this year but I can imagine I'd be a bit upset if my first year was ALL online!

Original post by beyond21
They say everything will be 100% study . Honestly dunno how would that work for all the courses. Online exam would be stupid because ppl can easily cheat .

Really? As in online study? What university is this?
Original post by Anonymous
I have no idea how teaching will be like since communication from my course has been ridiculous it is now almost August and the only email I received was a month ago about when results will be released. Appalling. They have however, confirmed that exams may be online next year also

Exams? Really? That's surprising to me, I assumed universities would just hold exams in a socially-distanced manner (if coronavirus was still widespread at that point) - though I guess for January exams it makes sense. Which university is this?

Original post by A1renegade
Heriot-Watt. I'm still not sure how I feel about this, I'm going to have to see what it's like before I make any solid opinions on it. What's annoying is I'm planning on staying in halls, which are on campus, so it's probably going to be very boring for 3 or 4 months since most of the buildings will be shut. I'm also doing an engineering degree and I can imagine some things are going to be difficult to learn unless there's practical demonstrations of it, which there probably won't be for a while.

Yeah fair enough, I'd imagine you'd have more face-to-face teaching than subjects that don't REQUIRE demonstrations - or at least I hope that's the case!
I'm going to Trinity Laban studying BMus classical guitar performance in September. In my opinion, things look like they won't be super different from how they would have been otherwise.
Generally, it's going to be a mix of online and in-person activities. They're also recording building entry and taking temperature when you do go in. You can only go in for scheduled activities.
-Music history will be online the whole year. Also, our end of year assessment will be 100% of our grade for that subject.
-Class sizes for in person activities will be smaller, with a rota system for activities that require lots of people.
-Applied musicianship will be online in term one, in person in term two. Alexander technique will be term two and movement for musicians will be term three.
-Symphony orchestras will be broken into smaller chamber orchestras (doesn't apply to me, but I imagine most ensembles will be reduced in size where needed).
-Artist as a citizen will be online, and CoLab will continue with social distancing (unless there's further lockdown).
-For freshers, there will be a mix of online and in-person stuff, but they've not given us detail yet.
-We have to wear masks to and from campus, and in buildings if asked.
Because it's a conservatoire though, there's only around 1,200 students in the whole conservatoire (across 3 buildings/campuses, undergrad and postgrad). I think this makes it easier to have more in-person learning. We also start earlier in the year than most unis, so that's why things look fairly confirmed for us too.
Nice, I think it's harder when you do subjects where you NEED to do lab work and whatnot...are your humanities counterparts likely going to do more online learning do you think?:smile:

Definitely, for sure, they’re even thinking of making the large online presence a permanent change
Exams? Really? That's surprising to me, I assumed universities would just hold exams in a socially-distanced manner (if coronavirus was still widespread at that point) - though I guess for January exams it makes sense. Which university is this?

UCL! And nope exams are all in term 3 so April onwards!
warwick.

no in-person lectures for modules above 20-something. (this is every module in the first two years for my subject. Some smaller third/fourth year modules might get in-person lectures I think.)

in-person seminars/supervisions.

seems like the standard approach.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending