The Student Room Group

wrist injury

so i fell off my skateboard and landed on my wrist. it’s not at all swollen but hurts to use. it doesn’t hurt when still and i can’t bend it sideways past a certain point. any idea what i’ve done?
fell off your skateboard.
but seriously, i’m not sure, sorry! 😔
Original post by xron
so i fell off my skateboard and landed on my wrist. it’s not at all swollen but hurts to use. it doesn’t hurt when still and i can’t bend it sideways past a certain point. any idea what i’ve done?

This above in blue is what you have done.

This is now what you must do:

:doctor:
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 4
Speak to your GP.
Did you fall onto an outstretched hand?

It sounds like a possible scaphoid fracture to me - I broke my scaphoid in one of my wrists several years ago when I fell over, and tried to use my hand to break my fall.

It's really important to go to a Minor Injuries Unit or Urgent Care centre to get it checked, because a broken scaphoid, if untreated, can permanently mess up the blood flow to your hand.
(edited 3 years ago)
Just FYI, a broken scaphoid often can't be seen on an X-ray at first, so the doctors may choose to put a cast on your wrist just in case, and then X-ray again in 2-3 weeks when it will have become clearer.

This is because by the time it is visible on an X-ray, the period of time in which a simple cast can treat it has often passed, and you'd be left needing surgery.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by LeapingLucy
Just FYI, a broken scaphoid often can't be seen on an X-ray at first, so the doctors may choose to put a cast on your wrist just in case, and then X-ray again in 2-3 weeks when it will have become clearer.

This is because by the time it is visible on an X-ray, the period of time in which a simple cast can treat it has often passed, and you'd be left needing surgery.

ooh thanks, most the pain is when i move my thumb so sounds possible, thanks for the help
Original post by xron
ooh thanks, most the pain is when i move my thumb so sounds possible, thanks for the help

That's definitely a red flag for a scaphoid injury.
Original post by xron

Are you feeling any better OP?
Reply 10
Original post by 5hyl33n
Are you feeling any better OP?

still feel a fairly sharp pain upon moving it in certain directions sometimes but other than that it feels a lot better, thanks

Quick Reply

Latest