The Student Room Group

Spanish education system equivalents

I'm in the process of drafting my CV in Spanish and became unstuck on the education part. Does anyone what the equivalents of the following UK qualifications are in Spain?

GCSEs
A-levels (and by extension, AS-levels)
Certificate of Higher Education

Thank you in advance.
Original post by Indecisive me.....
I'm in the process of drafting my CV in Spanish and became unstuck on the education part. Does anyone what the equivalents of the following UK qualifications are in Spain?

GCSEs
A-levels (and by extension, AS-levels)
Certificate of Higher Education

Thank you in advance.

According to UCAS:

GCSE Equivalent is Graduado en Educación Secundaria (GES)
GES English Language excluded and not equivalent to GCSE English, all others are equivalent

A-Level Equivalent (there is no AS equivalent)
Access Mark for University - An average of grade 5 or better is considered A-Level equivalent/pass, see below for UCAS point equivalents. Subjects are also equivalent to their A-Level counterparts.

"Título de BachillerBachillerato" are internally assessed, grades for this are considered and accepted however you will have to do a PAU or 'common university entrance test' in order to be able to qualify and apply for degree courses (Bachelors or above).

Grading System
10 distinction - A*
9 outstanding - A+
8/7 very good - A-/B+
6 good - B-
5 pass - C
Under 5 fail - Fail/U

UCAS Points
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by yellowcopter
According to UCAS:

GCSE Equivalent is Graduado en Educación Secundaria (GES)
GES English Language excluded and not equivalent to GCSE English, all others are equivalent

A-Level Equivalent (there is no AS equivalent)
Access Mark for University - An average of grade 5 or better is considered A-Level equivalent/pass, see below for UCAS point equivalents. Subjects are also equivalent to their A-Level counterparts.

"Título de BachillerBachillerato" are internally assessed, grades for this are considered and accepted however you will have to do a PAU or 'common university entrance test' in order to be able to qualify and apply for degree courses (Bachelors or above).

Grading System
10 distinction - A*
9 outstanding - A+
8/7 very good - A-/B+
6 good - B-
5 pass - C
Under 5 fail - Fail/U

UCAS Points

Thank you for this! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Indecisive me.....
Thank you for this! :smile:

Hi, I'm trying to fill the education section in UCAS with the spanish system. For Título de Bachillerato there are some grades that I haven't received yet so I marked them as "pending". However, UCAS doesn't let me mark the section as complete and a warning sign tell me I've entered exams for future dates. Isn't that what you're supposed to do? Can anyone help me please?

Thanks so much!
GCSE is equivalent to E.S.O (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria)

AS level is equivalent to 1ero Bachillerato

Level 3 Qualification is equivalent to 2do Bachillerato (giving access only to HNC/HND)

A Level (GCE) is equivalent to 2do Bachillerato (EBAU or EvAU/ University Access)

Source: I'm a Spaniard from Andalucía
(edited 3 years ago)
Do the uni admit E.S.O grades as GCSE?I have a few conditional offers but they are asking me for equivalency exams for maths and english. i have sent them my ESO grades from Spain hoping that they do not make me retake the exams ( I would totally fail maths after so many years...) I am spanish too! From Galicia
Hi,In response to your question yes they do. ESO is the Spanish equivalent of the GSCE which is the compulsory minimum education that is required by law.The only thing is that you may have to convert your grades to the Britsh equivalent, in other words a translated version to English.I am not too sure but it would be better if you ask them,if they need it, if not just give it to them in Spanish.

That's great news! Did you get many offers from universities?
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi! Thank you so much, it takes so long to get any kind of answer from them... I have 2 conditional offers, one harder than the other but both good 😊
Reply 8
Original post by Mandahuevos
GCSE is equivalent to E.S.O (Educación Secundaria Obligatoria)

AS level is equivalent to 1ero Bachillerato

Level 3 Qualification is equivalent to 2do Bachillerato (giving access only to HNC/HND)

A Level (GCE) is equivalent to 2do Bachillerato (EBAU or EvAU/ University Access)

Source: I'm a Spaniard from Andalucía

Hello!
This year I'm going to do a foundation year at university, it's level 3, with this course can I already access to a "FP de grado superior" in Spain? I'm from spain but I only have the ESO right now.
Thank you!
Original post by Juliarosas
Hi! Thank you so much, it takes so long to get any kind of answer from them... I have 2 conditional offers, one harder than the other but both good 😊

You're welcome! That is amazing, I hope that you get the grades you are looking for to get into the university of your dreams =)
Original post by annau
Hello!
This year I'm going to do a foundation year at university, it's level 3, with this course can I already access to a "FP de grado superior" in Spain? I'm from spain but I only have the ESO right now.
Thank you!

Hi,

Foundation courses are at Level 4(HNC) andLevel 5 equivalent to HND(Grado Superior in Spain) respectively. Yes,Level 3 is the basic 2do Bachillerato without access to university and you will be allowed to go on to ''FP Grado Superior''.
Reply 11
Original post by Mandahuevos
Hi,

Foundation courses are at Level 4(HNC) andLevel 5 equivalent to HND(Grado Superior in Spain) respectively. Yes,Level 3 is the basic 2do Bachillerato without access to university and you will be allowed to go on to ''FP Grado Superior''.

Thank you so much, I'm talking about "foundation year" the university preparation course, I'm not talking about the foundation courses, that's the reason why I think It's level 3, maybe I am wrong.

Thanks for the information, it makes me calm, I have an other question: Do you know where I can certify the foundation year in Spain? in Spain they are stricter on that and I don't know where I can find information
Original post by annau
Hello!
Thank you!

Ok, I see what you mean. It's not called a foundation year course, it's called an Access to Higher Education course it's official name,some people refer to it as an Access Course, which is at Level 3 which answers your question.

You can certify your certificate at the ''Ministerio de Educación y Formación Profesional'' offices. There they will certify and give you a Spanish education certificate equivalent.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 13
sorry i am going to do 'Access to HE Diploma'', what can be this in Spain? and if i finish this course and after i go to Spain, what can i study?
In Spain the equivalent would be ''Prueba de Acceso a la universidad para mayores de 25 años'' and Access to higher education diploma will give you direct access to go to university in Spain.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending