The Student Room Group

Should I drop a subject if I am given a low predicted grade

I'm studying maths further maths physics and chemistry, we had online exams in June where I got A*A*A*A but as many people cheated my sixth form isn't using those exams for predicted grades and we will be doing another set of exams in September.
I am quite confident that I will do just as well in the subjects I got A*s in but I was on the grade boundary for an A in chemistry, and have been working at a high B/low A throughout the year, so I was wondering if I did very badly in the upcoming test and was predicted a B would it make more sense to just drop the subject?
What do you want to do in the future?
Original post by Emily5243
What do you want to do in the future?

maths
Original post by thatbadstudent
maths

So chemistry is the least relevant subject out of the 4 you do. If you think that being predicted a B would hinder applications to uni, them it's probably best to drop chemistry if you do get predicted a B
Firstly I wouldn’t call B a low grade.
Secondly most unis won’t require a 4th A level so unless you are wanting to do a degree that requires chemistry or is chemistry related, I would drop it. It will let you focus more on your other three and you can ensure you’ll get all 3 of your A*s if you’re striving for perfection.
Personally I wouldn’t let the predicted grade determine which subject I drop but rather the difficulty of the subject and the relevancy to my chosen degree. I dropped chemistry and now do maths, physics and bio as I can get into an engineering course no problem with those A levels and chemistry was just too tricky for me. It is supposed to be one of the hardest A levels and many students have a similar experience.
I mean an A or B either way if a good grade and the fact that you do 4 A levels and have managed to stay on top of it is great anyway .
Most universities will only ask for 3 grades anyway so you don't need to do chemistry , but I dont see a reason to drop it unless you can't cope with doing 4 a levels 😊
Dont waste your time taking a 4th subjects. Nearly all universities will accept you with 3 and for Maths look at Maths and sometimes FM.
Just make sure that whatever course that you want to do at uni accepts Maths and FM as 2 Levels.
Original post by MadMathsMum
Just make sure that whatever course that you want to do at uni accepts Maths and FM as 2 Levels.

All Maths degrees will accept Maths and fm as 2 separate subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending