The Student Room Group

Powerlifting Q&A / AMA (ask me anything)

I’m bored and have some free time so any questions feel free to ask

I’ll most likely get none but it’s worth a shot 🤷🏻*♂️

Scroll to see replies

What got you into powerlifting in the first place?

Hopefully people might see this again and might ask you some more questions:smile:
Original post by Becca216
What got you into powerlifting in the first place?

Hopefully people might see this again and might ask you some more questions:smile:

I was extremely overweight through my teens, reaching a peak of about 240lbs / 17 stone 2lbs at 5’8. I got into middle distance running to lose weight for a few years (Lost over 100lbs) then eventually got into going to the gym. After another few years of this I realised I enjoyed lifting heavy and progressed into doing my first powerlifting meet :smile: That was a little over 2 years ago and I haven’t stopped since.
Do you program for yourself or do you have a coach? Did you follow any of the popular programmes when you started (5x5, SS etc.) - how did you find it?

Favourite lift?
Original post by Cambrian80
Do you program for yourself or do you have a coach? Did you follow any of the popular programmes when you started (5x5, SS etc.) - how did you find it?

Favourite lift?

I started off doing my own programming then moved to a Sheiko template but found I progressed better doing my own as I could personalise it more. So I moved back to my own programming in the lead up to 2019 national championships. Following nationals I decided to get a coach so I could focus more on other things like uni and the nutrition side, and to get a second opinion on things. I still work with the same coach to this day.

I would add though that I’m competent at programming and hold a sports science degree, so I wasn’t just guessing. I’d recommend to most people to get a coach or follow an established programme.

Favourite lift is deadlift, closely followed by squat and finally bench. I enjoy bench anyway though :smile:
What are your current SBDO numbers?
Original post by Dax_Swagg3r
What are your current SBDO numbers?

Squat 205kg (Sleeves)
Bench 130kg
Deadlift 240kg
Overhead I honestly don’t know, but I’d estimate my 1rm to be around 80-85kg for a strict OHP

All of these are powerlifting competition standard so below parallel squat, paused bench, no straps/hitching deadlift etc.

All done in the 74kg class my man, although I weigh around ~80 currently
Original post by Nutritionist
Squat 205kg (Sleeves)
Bench 130kg
Deadlift 240kg
Overhead I honestly don’t know, but I’d estimate my 1rm to be around 80-85kg for a strict OHP

All of these are powerlifting competition standard so below parallel squat, paused bench, no straps/hitching deadlift etc.

All done in the 74kg class my man, although I weigh around ~80 currently

Dayum man your a strong guy haha. How tall are you? Bc your weight is similar to mine,
Dayum man your a strong guy haha. How tall are you? Bc your weight is similar to mine,

Thanks I appreciate that mate 😄 I’m 5’8 and a half, gotta remember the half
Thanks I appreciate that mate 😄 I’m 5’8 and a half, gotta remember the half

What a big man. Always haha makes the world of a difference.
What a big man. Always haha makes the world of a difference.

You?
You?

I'm still a beginner, have less than 6 months of lifting experience so my SBDO numbers are nowhere near yours, 85kg, 71kg, 122kg and 39kg at 71kg bodyweight and with a height of 6'1.
I'm still a beginner, have less than 6 months of lifting experience so my SBDO numbers are nowhere near yours, 85kg, 71kg, 122kg and 39kg at 71kg bodyweight and with a height of 6'1.

Plenty of room to push up that bodyweight and those numbers at your height and experience mate 👌🏻👍🏻
Plenty of room to push up that bodyweight and those numbers at your height and experience mate 👌🏻👍🏻

Ya man ofc, when did you start lifting?
Ya man ofc, when did you start lifting?

Started lifting 4 years ago and powerlifting 2.5 years ago
whens your birthday
Started lifting 4 years ago and powerlifting 2.5 years ago

I really respect your dedication and hardwork.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Hannah0505
whens your birthday

Unrelated but it’s 26th October 🤣
I really respect your dedication and hardwork.

I really appreciate that mate :smile:
What songs reminds you of powerlifting?

Quick Reply

Latest