The Student Room Group

Would it be better to do a degree in Mechanical Engineering or Aerospace engineering?

Hi
I can’t decide between Mechanical or Aerospace mainly because of the jobs.

I feel like there are not any aerospace jobs around my city and I think I would have to move somewhere to work in those jobs. However I think I would like to work in the aerospace sector. Also I feel like I would enjoy aerospace as a degree more than mechanical but who knows.

Also would it be difficult to get in the aerospace sector to work?
Can someone help me with this situation?
Thank you :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Sounds like you prefer aerospace so do that. Graduate jobs are very competitive so you're setting yourself up for failure if you plan on limiting your job search to one city.
same situation with me between optometry and economics...very different subjects but im not sure
Reply 3
Original post by Student-95
Sounds like you prefer aerospace so do that. Graduate jobs are very competitive so you're setting yourself up for failure if you plan on limiting your job search to one city.

if il have to move city I probably wouldn’t mind
Would it be difficult to get a job in the aerospace sector in the uk?

Also i’d like to know is it easy to get mechanical engineering jobs with a aerospace engineering degree?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by User_3012
if il have to move city I probably wouldn’t mind
Would it be difficult to get a job in the aerospace sector in the uk?

Also i’d like to know is it easy to get mechanical engineering jobs with a aerospace engineering degree?

It's not easy to get any engineering job. There are more than twice as many grads as there are jobs so most engineering grads won't work as engineers. Even fewer will work in aerospace specifically. But you'd be able to apply for mech jobs with an aero degree and vice versa.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 5
It's not easy to get any engineering job. There are more than twice as many grads as there are jobs so most engineering grads won't work as engineers. Even fewer will work in aerospace specifically. But you'd be able to apply for mech jobs with an aero degree and vice versa.

Are the job prospects good for an aerospace engineering degree?
also how easy is it to go into other things like Finance, software engineering etc?
Are the job prospects good for an aerospace engineering degree?
also how easy is it to go into other things like Finance, software engineering etc?

It would qualify you for most jobs, including finance and software engineering but you'll have the same problem that there are a lot more grads than there are jobs so it won't be easy.
Reply 7
It would qualify you for most jobs, including finance and software engineering but you'll have the same problem that there are a lot more grads than there are jobs so it won't be easy.

I take it back
I don’t think I would want to move to another city or move somewhere else for a Aerospace career.
Would u recommend mechanical instead if this is the case?
I take it back
I don’t think I would want to move to another city or move somewhere else for a Aerospace career.
Would u recommend mechanical instead if this is the case?

I'd still do aerospace if that's what you prefer. You are going to struggle either way if you're limited to one city for jobs.

Which city is it and why don't you want to leave?
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Do the degree you think you enjoy most and are most interested in.

Quite a few aero eng degrees in UK are accredited by IMechE and Royal Aeronautical Society. From what I’m told it is possible for aero to apply for aero or mech jobs. Also mech can apply for mech or aero jobs although possibly not some aero jobs that need aero eng degree. Aero industry requires people from lots of disciplines not just aero so they need aero, mech, electrical, computing, software eng etc.

Honestly you should not restrict your job search to one city but is up to you.
Reply 10
I'd still do aerospace if that's what you prefer. You are going to struggle either way if you're limited to one city for jobs.

Which city is it and why don't you want to leave?

Birmingham
I like it here so I don’t want to move.
would it be hard for a aerospace graduate to get a mechanical job? because wouldn’t they prefer a mechanical graduate than a aerospace graduate
Reply 11
Birmingham
would it be hard for a aerospace graduate to get a mechanical job? because wouldn’t they prefer a mechanical graduate than a aerospace graduate

I do not know.
Reply 12
Original post by 161BMW
Do the degree you think you enjoy most and are most interested in.

Quite a few aero eng degrees in UK are accredited by IMechE and Royal Aeronautical Society. From what I’m told it is possible for aero to apply for aero or mech jobs. Also mech can apply for mech or aero jobs although possibly not some aero jobs that need aero eng degree. Aero industry requires people from lots of disciplines not just aero so they need aero, mech, electrical, computing, software eng etc.

Honestly you should not restrict your job search to one city but is up to you.

If Aero companies are looking for mech graduates as well should I not go for mechanical then or should I go for something I might enjoy?
This is really stressful
Reply 13
There's a lot of overlap between aerospace engineering and mechanical engineering. One would qualify you for the other fairly well.
Reply 14
If Aero companies are looking for mech graduates as well should I not go for mechanical then or should I go for something I might enjoy?
This is really stressful

Imo you should choose something you enjoy as will be hard whatever you choose.
Birmingham

You might like it more somewhere else. A better plan would be to remain flexible for your first job then once you have some experience and are in a stronger position, you can move back to Birmingham to settle down. There's a Rolls-Royce site in Birmingham although it's focused on control systems.

You'd be fine for most mech jobs with an aero degree. If you have jobs in mind you can look for entry level job ads and see what they ask for.
Reply 16
Original post by 161BMW
Imo you should choose something you enjoy as will be hard whatever you choose.

Although I do have an interest in planes and aircraft which is why I love to travel because of flying on the planes. However, I really don’t know if il enjoy the theory and degree behind it?
Although I do have an interest in planes and aircraft which is why I love to travel because of flying on the planes. However, I really don’t know if il enjoy the theory and degree behind it?

Just do mechanical. It gives you the best of both worlds really.
Reply 18

If you enjoy and are good at maths and physics and like aeroplanes then aero is a good option.
Original post by 161BMW
If you enjoy and are good at maths and physics and like aeroplanes then aero is a good option.

I was the same as OP lots of years ago and ended up choosing Mechanical. I now work in the Marine sector.

I have quite a few colleagues who all did Mech Eng and went on to work for aerospace companies including Boeing, GE Aviation, a helicopter defence company that I can't remember the name of etc.

There is really not much difference between Aero and Mechanical apart from a bit more focused fluid dynamics in Aero and Avionics/Systems but someone from a mechanical background can quite easily transfer to these because we also learn them just not in the same detail and in slightly different applications. The problem with having an Aero degree is I've read that some companies may think you're not so suitable for some Mechanical type roles e.g. say Building Services HVAC as an example etc. I'm not sure how true that is but it does make sense if you consider how many applicants they will have for those specific roles. To avoid these issues he can just do Mechanical and if he wants to do an aerospace inspired project he is more than capable to do that at most UK universities.

Quick Reply

Latest