The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Bath: Dorm Electronics Question

Hi All, kind of a weird question, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had experience with keeping a PC + Monitor in the dorms. I'm (Hopefully) going to be staying at Woodland court or Polden, and was wondering if any of you guys have had experiences with large desktop PCs in the dorms.

Is there enough floor space to sit comfortably and have my PC on the floor or will I have to put it on the desk?
Is there enough room on the desk for either dual 19" monitors or a 32" widescreen (Space left to do work), or should I stick with a single 23" one since I'm buying a new one anyway?

Is Amazon delivery to bath fast, or do you guys know any brick and mortar stores in Bath I can go to to buy a monitor so as to not buy from Amazon?
Reply 1
Original post by Motikop
Hi All, kind of a weird question, but I was wondering if any of you guys have had experience with keeping a PC + Monitor in the dorms. I'm (Hopefully) going to be staying at Woodland court or Polden, and was wondering if any of you guys have had experiences with large desktop PCs in the dorms.

Is there enough floor space to sit comfortably and have my PC on the floor or will I have to put it on the desk?
Is there enough room on the desk for either dual 19" monitors or a 32" widescreen (Space left to do work), or should I stick with a single 23" one since I'm buying a new one anyway?

Is Amazon delivery to bath fast, or do you guys know any brick and mortar stores in Bath I can go to to buy a monitor so as to not buy from Amazon?

Hi, I can't speak for Polden, but in Woodland there is space to put dual monitors on the desk, and the PC under the desk. Woodland is one of the dorms that feels more like a hotel room, so there is quite a lot of desk space. However, having dual monitors might hamper the space you need to work, especially if you will be doing physical technical drawings or work of a similar nature. I do have some friends in Eastwood who had an entire gaming setup with two monitors, a system unit and everything and managed to fit everything in. My advice would be to wait till you move into the dorms, scope out the room dimensions, and if there is enough space, to order the new monitor then.
Amazon delivery to Bath is usually very fast; even without Prime we tend to get our packages in one or two days, unless it's something requiring international delivery.

Hope this helps!
Ruveen,
2nd Year Architecture student.
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Motikop

Hi there,

I am an official university student ambassador, and I've been doing accommodation tours on open days since my first year, so hopefully I can help :smile:

A lot of people keep a PC and monitor in their rooms, as the desk space is pretty substantial. Woodland, Polden and Marlborough/Solsbury could definitely fit a full PC setup as there's plenty of space on and below the desk. In Marlborough/Solsbury and Woodland, there's a big shelf above the desk as well, so there's more than enough space. I would say in Woodland and Marlborough/Solsbury, you'll have enough space for a PC setup and extra space left for working. Polden rooms are big but the desks aren't big enough really for a PC setup and more work space, but Polden Court (there's Polden and Polden Court) there's a big desk so you'd have space. Other accommodation blocks have smaller desks, so you could set up a PC but you'll have little to no space for other work. If you go to this webpage, you can look at pages specifically for each accommodation, with pictures and 360 views of the room. That was you can get an idea of desk space :smile:

In terms of Amazon delivery, it will obviously vary by item. I aways received my items within a few days to a week a without Prime, but it's worth using the 6 month free Student Prime trial in first year! As well as the campus post room (where all mail gets delivered and you go collect it), there are Amazon lockers on campus which are a lot easier and faster to use. Basically, Amazon delivery is always good (in my experience) in Bath, especially with the campus Amazon lockers. There is an IT shop in the library on campus where I believe they sell tech and other tech accessories, so I assume they sell monitors there. If not, there are loads of PC shops in town ranging from cheaper, more generic ones to chain stores like Currys.

I hope this has helped,
Jessica, a final year NatSci student
Reply 3
Original post by University of Bath
Hi there,

I am an official university student ambassador, and I've been doing accommodation tours on open days since my first year, so hopefully I can help :smile:

A lot of people keep a PC and monitor in their rooms, as the desk space is pretty substantial. Woodland, Polden and Marlborough/Solsbury could definitely fit a full PC setup as there's plenty of space on and below the desk. In Marlborough/Solsbury and Woodland, there's a big shelf above the desk as well, so there's more than enough space. I would say in Woodland and Marlborough/Solsbury, you'll have enough space for a PC setup and extra space left for working. Polden rooms are big but the desks aren't big enough really for a PC setup and more work space, but Polden Court (there's Polden and Polden Court) there's a big desk so you'd have space. Other accommodation blocks have smaller desks, so you could set up a PC but you'll have little to no space for other work. If you go to this webpage, you can look at pages specifically for each accommodation, with pictures and 360 views of the room. That was you can get an idea of desk space :smile:

In terms of Amazon delivery, it will obviously vary by item. I aways received my items within a few days to a week a without Prime, but it's worth using the 6 month free Student Prime trial in first year! As well as the campus post room (where all mail gets delivered and you go collect it), there are Amazon lockers on campus which are a lot easier and faster to use. Basically, Amazon delivery is always good (in my experience) in Bath, especially with the campus Amazon lockers. There is an IT shop in the library on campus where I believe they sell tech and other tech accessories, so I assume they sell monitors there. If not, there are loads of PC shops in town ranging from cheaper, more generic ones to chain stores like Currys.

I hope this has helped,

Sorry for the late reply, but thank you!
Original post by Motikop
Sorry for the late reply, but thank you!

Hi there,

No problem, I'm happy I could help :smile:

Could anyone help me with the following questions :

1. is it true that the on-campus accommodation is for Year one students only? So after the first year, students need to find there own place? Any on-campus accommodation is available for year 2 students?

2. I read from the website that certain electric appliances are not allowed in dorm. What about Fan, which is not mentioned? Can student bring their own fan and use it in the room?

3. For Woodland, it seems to me that bed sheets, duvet, mattress protector, pillow etc will be provided? Will the dorm change them from time to time or students are responsible to washing?

4. For Quads, can a student choose room only and not buying the catering credits? If yes, can the student still buy food from the catered dining room occasionally (ie not committed to GBP 25 per week)?

5. I see there is a take out place called Lime Tree next to The Quads, is it for everyone walk-in?

Thank you.
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous

1. is it true that the on-campus accommodation is for Year one students only? So after the first year, students need to find there own place? Any on-campus accommodation is available for year 2 students?

2. I read from the website that certain electric appliances are not allowed in dorm. What about Fan, which is not mentioned? Can student bring their own fan and use it in the room?

3. For Woodland, it seems to me that bed sheets, duvet, mattress protector, pillow etc will be provided? Will the dorm change them from time to time or students are responsible to washing?

4. For Quads, can a student choose room only and not buying the catering credits? If yes, can the student still buy food from the catered dining room occasionally (ie not committed to GBP 25 per week)?

5. I see there is a take out place called Lime Tree next to The Quads, is it for everyone walk-in?

Thank you.

I recommend making a new post.
Reply 7

Thank you.

1. Yes, Accommodation on campus is for year 1 students. The rest of us normally get a house in the city or Oldfield Park with our friends. There is also accommodation for first year Masters Students on campus though.
2. A fan? If it complies with the capacity requirements it should be okay.
3. Idk if a duvet, pillow or bed sheets are provided (they didn't for my dorm Norwood), but students are responsible for washing their own sheets.
4. No, if you're getting a Quads room then by default you get the Eat and Drink credit. But it's pretty useful, you can buy food from most of the campus restaurants and groceries from the small Co Op in the SU using those credits, so it's worth getting it.
5. Yes. Lime Tree is a really good restaurant and is open till about 8.30/9pm during term time. If you go at 8pm or 2pm you can get a massive box of food for really cheap lol, just ask for the Munchbox.
Original post by Ruveen
1. Yes, Accommodation on campus is for year 1 students. The rest of us normally get a house in the city or Oldfield Park with our friends. There is also accommodation for first year Masters Students on campus though.
2. A fan? If it complies with the capacity requirements it should be okay.
3. Idk if a duvet, pillow or bed sheets are provided (they didn't for my dorm Norwood), but students are responsible for washing their own sheets.
4. No, if you're getting a Quads room then by default you get the Eat and Drink credit. But it's pretty useful, you can buy food from most of the campus restaurants and groceries from the small Co Op in the SU using those credits, so it's worth getting it.
5. Yes. Lime Tree is a really good restaurant and is open till about 8.30/9pm during term time. If you go at 8pm or 2pm you can get a massive box of food for really cheap lol, just ask for the Munchbox.

Thank you so much. This is very useful.

Thank you.

Hi there,

I am an official student ambassador for the university, and have also worked in the uni accommodation, so hopefully I can help and give some accurate answers :smile:

Campus accommodation is provided for first year undergraduates, and also postgraduate students. In 2nd year onwards you have to find private accommodation, so you cannot live on campus. Most people opt for finding a rental house/flat with their friends in the city - the majority of people look in/around Oldfield Park, as this has good access to university bus stops and is pretty close to town. Some people opt for places a bit further out, such as Twerton, as they're a fair bit cheaper than Oldfield but still have fairly good access to the uni bus stops (they're just not as close to the city centre, so not as easy access for nightlife).

You can find a full list of prohibited items here. It doesn't say anything about a normal fan (only fan heaters), so I don't see why you couldn't bring one. That being said, most of the accommodation would be cool enough in the summer without a fan. The only accommodation that gets too hot is The Quads, but other than that I don't imagine a fan would be necessary. So, it doesn't say you can't bring one, so a fan should be okay to bring. if you want to double check, then you can contact the accommodation team at [email protected]

Woodland Court rooms are either shared ensuite bedrooms, or single occupancy ensuite rooms. All ensuite bedrooms on campus are provided with a duvet, mattress protecter and a pillow. Most students opt to bring their own bedding (i.e. duvet cover, sheet and pillow cases) as it's a bit more hygienic and you can choose ones you live, but the accommodation team can provide you with free sheets, duvet covers and pillowcases for free if you ask. These are just plain white bedding that will have been used before (i.e. in the summer when accommodation is used commercially), but they've all been washed obviously. In terms of washing, the duvets, pillows and mattress protectors will have all been cleaned prior to your arrival, but they don't get cleaned for you throughout the year. Any sort of laundry is down to the student to do :smile:

If you get a room in Quads, you have to pay the Eat & Drink credit. You cannot opt out of it, as it'd be unfair to allow students to get rooms in part-catered accommodation if they don't want the catering, as then a student who does want/need catering is missing out. The Eat & Drink credit is paid along with your rent, and it rolls over to the next year if you don't spend it all in first year. Regardless, anyone can buy food from any of the eateries on campus, not just catered students. The only difference is if you aren't catered, you'd have to pay with money when you go there, whereas catered students will pay with the Eat & Drink credit that they've paid onto their library cards. If you are catered, you can obviously spend more money than what is in you credit on food, but you would have to pay this yourself or see if you can put extra credit onto your card.

Lime Tree is one of the main eateries on campus which sells pizzas and other full meals throughout the day. It is situated underneath The Quads accommodation for convenience, but anyone can eat there (as with all the eateries on campus). You can find more information on all the campus eateries here.

I hope this has helped, and please let me know if you have any more questions as I'm happy to help! I can also link some other threads I've answered in if you need advice/info on the different university accommodation!

Thank you so much, Jessica. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I am all set now. Cheers,
Thank you so much, Jessica. That's exactly what I'm looking for. I am all set now. Cheers,

Hi there,

No problem, glad I could help!

Quick Reply

Latest