The Student Room Group

Loughborough, Nottingham or Manchester?

Hi,
I am planning to complete my master's degree in the UK. And there are 3 universities (loughbrough,Nottingham, Manchester)which I’ve found that offering the same course about renewable energy and I don’t know which one to choose. I would appreciate any advice on choosing the best one.
Original post by Dhoom9
Hi,
I am planning to complete my master's degree in the UK. And there are 3 universities (loughbrough,Nottingham, Manchester)which I’ve found that offering the same course about renewable energy and I don’t know which one to choose. I would appreciate any advice on choosing the best one.

Manchester. Probably good prospects with good learning.
Reply 2
Original post by Wired_1800
Manchester. Probably good prospects with good learning.

I’ve heard that people in the city of Manchester are quite racist, especially about Muslims. Do you think it’s true?
and what’s about living there, is it too expensive?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Dhoom9
I’ve heard that people in the city of Manchester are quite racist, especially about Muslims. Do you think it’s true?
and what’s about living there, is it too expensive?

You should not allow that to bother you. It is a major UK city and diverse.
Manchester as a whole isn’t bad or racist, some individual citizens of Manchester might be a little, but you could meet a few unintelligent people anywhere in the world. Manchester is a big northern city, and quite a bit cheaper to live in than anywhere near London. compare the size of this department with the other two universities offering.. Check if the course offering between your three choices differs , which is closer to your own interests?

I like to focus on the positive, so you should seriously consider this group at L’boro, Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology, CREST www.lboro.ac.uk/research/crest/
I have met quite a few members of the Crest team, and they are very professional.
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/crest/people/

Note that they run a quality assured photovoltaic laboratory, and they have 25 years experience

Over 25 years of PV research excellence, a meticulous characterisation of the measurement infrastructure and comprehensive uncertainty analyses culminated in CREST establishing the UK’s only accredited photovoltaic calibration laboratory: The CREST Photovoltaic Measurement and Calibration Laboratory (CPVMCL).

CPVMCL is UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 for the calibration of photovoltaic cells, modules and pyranometers.

Ma’as’salamah
Reply 5
Original post by LuigiMario
Manchester as a whole isn’t bad or racist, some individual citizens of Manchester might be a little, but you could meet a few unintelligent people anywhere in the world. Manchester is a big northern city, and quite a bit cheaper to live in than anywhere near London. compare the size of this department with the other two universities offering.. Check if the course offering between your three choices differs , which is closer to your own interests?

I like to focus on the positive, so you should seriously consider this group at L’boro, Centre for Renewable Energy Systems Technology, CREST www.lboro.ac.uk/research/crest/
I have met quite a few members of the Crest team, and they are very professional.
https://www.lboro.ac.uk/research/crest/people/

Note that they run a quality assured photovoltaic laboratory, and they have 25 years experience

Over 25 years of PV research excellence, a meticulous characterisation of the measurement infrastructure and comprehensive uncertainty analyses culminated in CREST establishing the UK’s only accredited photovoltaic calibration laboratory: The CREST Photovoltaic Measurement and Calibration Laboratory (CPVMCL).

CPVMCL is UKAS (United Kingdom Accreditation Service) accredited to ISO/IEC 17025:2005 for the calibration of photovoltaic cells, modules and pyranometers.

Ma’as’salamah

Thanks for your reply it really helps me a lot.

The most thing that I am worrying about L’boro is the university's name globally comparing to Manchester.
Even though I don’t know a lot about the rate of employment of L’boro’s students in the UK, I think it’s quite good.

The last thing I want to ask about is the town itself, do you find it a little bit boring and there is a lack of activities in the city?
(edited 3 years ago)
Loughborough is a sensible engineering university. (As well as being UK’s number one sport science place) It’s not actually in a city, but is a self contained campus uni. It is in the triangle of three decent north midlands towns, Leicester, Nottingham & Derby. I’m sure you could take an Uber/taxi out for the evening.

Nottingham, which you initially mentioned, is also a great place. Small city, not completely boring.
I work every day with people who graduated from Notts.

Manchester, and greater Manchester - are about 5 million people. That would allow you infinite activities, but is it too big?

Try looking at Google Maps, seeing where each college is, they even have mini-reviews on the left side...

https://www.google.es/maps/place/Loughborough+University,+Epinal+Way,+Loughborough+LE11+3TU,+United+Kingdom/@52.7972263,-1.3215306,10z/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending