The Student Room Group

Choosing my subjects.

Hi Everyone, I hope you can help me, please. I really need your help and thank you in advance!

I'm a new Asian student here in the UK and the teacher told me to choose 4 subjects for sixth form (Year 12) then I need to take GCSE exams first depends on what subject I will choose.

I want to get to Medicine in college, so I thought I'll choose Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, and English Language.

Can you give me advice on how to pass my GCSE exams for these subjects? please, thank you very much.
(edited 3 years ago)
Chemistry and Biology in particular will contain lots of information but for GCSE it's not in too much detail so it really is just a matter of remembering information.

Making flashcards or using online apps such as Quizlet can help you memorise key terms and facts, if you get other people to test you this will improve your memory as well.

With maths I'd recommend doing as much practice as possible, maybe get a book filled with questions and simply work your way through, if there is something you don't understand YouTube is very helpful or ask a teacher/parent/friend if you can.

For English it depends whether you are doing english literature or English language because they are very different. But some general advice for both is pay attention to detail (such as in English language when you are analysing a text, focus in on one word and say as much as you possibly can about what effect that word has on the rest of the text) and quality is better than quantity. Learn some extravagant words to make your essays really stand out from the others.

Good luck!
Original post by Bibster23
Chemistry and Biology in particular will contain lots of information but for GCSE it's not in too much detail so it really is just a matter of remembering information.

Making flashcards or using online apps such as Quizlet can help you memorise key terms and facts, if you get other people to test you this will improve your memory as well.

With maths I'd recommend doing as much practice as possible, maybe get a book filled with questions and simply work your way through, if there is something you don't understand YouTube is very helpful or ask a teacher/parent/friend if you can.

For English it depends whether you are doing english literature or English language because they are very different. But some general advice for both is pay attention to detail (such as in English language when you are analysing a text, focus in on one word and say as much as you possibly can about what effect that word has on the rest of the text) and quality is better than quantity. Learn some extravagant words to make your essays really stand out from the others.

Good luck!

Thank you very much!
Original post by J.M.J.A.7310
Thank you very much!

I don't know if you're aware but you only need to do three A Levels, so if it all gets too much you can drop English.
Original post by Bibster23
I don't know if you're aware but you only need to do three A Levels, so if it all gets too much you can drop English.

Really? Glad to hear, thanks a lot!
Original post by J.M.J.A.7310
Hi Everyone, I hope you can help me, please. I really need your help and thank you in advance!

I'm a new Asian student here in the UK and the teacher told me to choose 4 subjects for sixth form (Year 12) then I need to take GCSE exams first depends on what subject I will choose.

I want to get to Medicine in college, so I thought I'll choose Chemistry, Biology, Mathematics, and English Language.

Can you give me advice on how to pass my GCSE exams for these subjects? please, thank you very much.

for medicine, especially since you are international, i would advise dropping an A level because you really DON'T need to take 4 since its not required (except if you are applying to elite uni's, you might have a better chance)
personally i would drop english lang and focus on preparing for the BMAT and UCAT as these tests are very important for universities
For GCSEs, I would advise making flashcards and mindmaps, watch YouTube videos (e.g. freesciencelessons on youtube), do lots of exam practice (past papers you can get by typing the subject and past papers e.g. English Language past papers" in google search engine) and make sure you understand the content. GCSEs were not overly difficult so i think you'll be fine but aim for 7/8/9 in every subject if you want to stand a chance in medicine.
BMAT: aim for over 5
UCAT: aim for over 650
A levels: try get all AAA in AS exams
Original post by lizzie.zipmouth
for medicine, especially since you are international, i would advise dropping an A level because you really DON'T need to take 4 since its not required (except if you are applying to elite uni's, you might have a better chance)
personally i would drop english lang and focus on preparing for the BMAT and UCAT as these tests are very important for universities
For GCSEs, I would advise making flashcards and mindmaps, watch YouTube videos (e.g. freesciencelessons on youtube), do lots of exam practice (past papers you can get by typing the subject and past papers e.g. English Language past papers" in google search engine) and make sure you understand the content. GCSEs were not overly difficult so i think you'll be fine but aim for 7/8/9 in every subject if you want to stand a chance in medicine.
BMAT: aim for over 5
UCAT: aim for over 650
A levels: try get all AAA in AS exams

Thank you very much! that helps me a lot too

Quick Reply

Latest