The Student Room Group

Teacher e mailed suggested to get a mental health diagnosis to parents

I found the email on the pc left with emails logged in. At times in college I got upset or triggered easily or worried about general stuff, future life and everything. The teacher suggested I might have anxiety or depression. I just am very scared that I might have it, I’m too scared to see because it’s really embarrassing to have them and it’s being weak. I was raised in a family who are about being fight like, they are known for boxing, fighting and everything. Also I have a driving licence and if you have depression or anxiety I found out that you have to tell the dvla so they may revoke my driving licence and it means too much for me to get it taken.

People have said to me it’s not embarrassing to have mental health but if it’s not embarrassing then what is it because it’s clearly a bad thing not good. My family always taught me to be my own person and be natural so your mood should come naturally so I shouldn’t rely on a doctor or whatever to be happy and I agree with. I think that it is extremely embarrassing to have mental health and so do my family. I’m not doing this post for attention this is generally my opinion and everything I said is serious. If I found out a friend or family member or anyone with mental health issues I wouldn’t want to associate with them just because I feel like they I just don’t agree with it, I think people use it as an excuse to not do stuff like not work. Me and my mates make jokes out of depression and anxiety.

I posted before about the same topic but this time I’m getting really worried because my teacher has actually e mailed my parents about this. I might need to stop being a wimp and grow up a bit but like I said above now and again I am just upset then cant stop being a wimp or whatever, I just want this stupid mood to stop.

People like teachers were going to phone my parents to ask them to a doctor and that’s when I panicked and got worried about it.

Scroll to see replies

You seem to have a pretty unhealthy attitude to mental issues so I can see why people want to discuss the issues with your parents. You'll need to do something about that. (And no, you do not need to inform the DVLA of any of these things, you need some education on ALL these topics)
First - your driving license can't get revoked unless you are medically deemed unfit under these diagnoses. i.e. if you were suicidal/pass out from anxiety attacks or the sort.

Look at it from a different perspective, would you look down on someone and consider them weak for having a mental illness? If so, you're in the wrong. Mental health conditions are the same as physical health conditions and cannot be helped by that person. People don't choose to be depressed just as people don't choose to have heart disease.

If you genuinely believe there could be something there don't live in fear in the face of judgement from yourself, family or wider social network. Think about the quality of life you want for yourself. Getting a diagnosis and help could totally transform your life. If someone with diabetes didn't get an insulin prescription we'd say they're in the wrong, so why is it any different for a mental illness?

Also - your teacher had no right to imply you might have a mental health issue. They're not qualified to do that. Teachers can refer onwards to another professional if they think this is the case but they should never contact home to say they think this is the case unless they're a safeguarding team member.
Reply 3
Original post by StriderHort
You seem to have a pretty unhealthy attitude to mental issues so I can see why people want to discuss the issues with your parents. You'll need to do something about that. (And no, you do not need to inform the DVLA of any of these things, you need some education on ALL these topics)

If it effects your driving https://www.gov.uk/depression-and-driving
Reply 4
If you have MH problems you need to deal with them before they get out of control. Everyone needs help from time to time. No shame in getting help, you wouldn't let something like diabetes or cancer fester, would you? The same applies to poor mental health. Deal with it, not dealing with it only causes you to suffer. re: the DVLA stuff, the person treating you will tell you directly if they don't think you should be allowed to drive. I'm not allowed for example, my psychiatrist told me this unprompted. Having a MH diagnosis doesn't automatically exclude you.

Pretty sure I've actually read this post before tbh lol.
Reply 5
Original post by Pathway
If you have MH problems you need to deal with them before they get out of control. Everyone needs help from time to time. No shame in getting help, you wouldn't let something like diabetes or cancer fester, would you? The same applies to poor mental health. Deal with it, not dealing with it only causes you to suffer. re: the DVLA stuff, the person treating you will tell you directly if they don't think you should be allowed to drive. I'm not allowed for example, my psychiatrist told me this unprompted. Having a MH diagnosis doesn't automatically exclude you.

Pretty sure I've actually read this post before tbh lol.

Dont know why I’m you put lol, at least I have a job
Original post by Anonymous

Why are you being rude? Someone has responded to your thread in the aid of answering your question and your response is to try and belittle them in order to project your own sense of self worth?

Sort yourself out and get professional help.
Reply 7
Why are you being rude? Someone has responded to your thread in the aid of answering your question and your response is to try and belittle them in order to project your own sense of self worth?

Sort yourself out and get professional help.

They were putting low yet pathway is the one who doesn’t have a job
Reply 8

Lol not low

Why is that at all relevant?

It's clear from their post they weren't laughing at you, rather they light-heartedly recognise a similar situation/post to what you have posted.

I can see why you’re anonymous now. You need to educate yourself on mental health. It’s exactly the same as having a physical disorder and you have no right to judge other people about having mental health problems. As for your disgusting reaction to @Pathway, you have no basis to assume that they don’t have a job, and even if they didn’t, it isn’t something you can use as leverage. Lot’s of people don’t have jobs and sometimes it is to do with mental health and sometimes it isn’t but there’s nothing wrong with it either way. You look weak and pathetic like this, not if you have a mental illness. You will be left with no friends if you continue like this because friends are meant to be able to confide in each other about their problems and I can confidently say that no one will want to come to you unless you change your attitude and educate yourself.
Why is that at all relevant?

It's clear from their post they weren't laughing at you, rather they light-heartedly recognise a similar situation/post to what you have posted.

They looked like they were laughing

Well congratulations to you? If you had all the issues I do you'd probably not have a job either. Anyway, if you ever wanna to actually talk and not use my disability against me then I will gladly help you out.

I wasn't laughing at you either, for context. I was more confused at if I had actually read this thread before because it feels familiar. If anything I was laughing at myself. You don't have to go on the offensive.
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
I can see why you’re anonymous now. You need to educate yourself on mental health. It’s exactly the same as having a physical disorder and you have no right to judge other people about having mental health problems. As for your disgusting reaction to @Pathway, you have no basis to assume that they don’t have a job, and even if they didn’t, it isn’t something you can use as leverage. Lot’s of people don’t have jobs and sometimes it is to do with mental health and sometimes it isn’t but there’s nothing wrong with it either way. You look weak and pathetic like this, not if you have a mental illness. You will be left with no friends if you continue like this because friends are meant to be able to confide in each other about their problems and I can confidently say that no one will want to come to you unless you change your attitude and educate yourself.

Pathway said that they don’t have a job in another thread. I can have my own opinion of people with mental health, it up to me what opinion I have
Original post by Pathway
Well congratulations to you? If you had all the issues I do you'd probably not have a job either. Anyway, if you ever wanna to actually talk and not use my disability against me then I will gladly help you out.

I wasn't laughing at you either, for context. I was more confused at if I had actually read this thread before because it feels familiar. If anything I was laughing at myself. You don't have to go on the offensive.

Fine I’m sorry
Reply 15
what kind of advice are you hoping for here (honestly)? are you trying to understand depression/anxiety? do you want advice on what to do if teachers call your parents? or you just want us to tell you having mh issues is embarrassing and you should be embarrassed so buck up?

i have 7+ years generalised anxiety disorder and ptsd, and i don't rely on a doctor or whatever to make me happy if that's what you're worried about. doctors cannot make depressed people happy nor can a counsellor or therapist. depression isn't 'sadness' - it's a mood disorder and a constant battle for depressed people just to function on a daily basis. others just give up because the fight is too much. if you were taught by your parents to be a fighter, then depression is not your problem; it's your opportunity to show how strong you really are. you can do it alone but the fight is often shorter if you get a little outside help like from your GP or if you want to talk to a counsellor or whatever. but you don't have to; it's your choice on how you handle it.
[Q
(edited 3 years ago)
Pathway said that they don’t have a job in another thread. I can have my own opinion of people with mental health, it up to me what opinion I have

No, it’s not. You wouldn’t judge other people for having physical health issues, would you?
Original post by Joleee
what kind of advice are you hoping for here (honestly)? are you trying to understand depression/anxiety? do you want advice on what to do if teachers call your parents? or you just want us to tell you having mh issues is embarrassing and you should be embarrassed so buck up?

i have 7+ years generalised anxiety disorder and ptsd, and i don't rely on a doctor or whatever to make me happy if that's what you're worried about. doctors cannot make depressed people happy nor can a counsellor or therapist. depression isn't 'sadness' - it's a mood disorder and a constant battle for depressed people just to function on a daily basis. others just give up because the fight is too much. if you were taught by your parents to be a fighter, then depression is not your problem; it's your opportunity to show how strong you really are. you can do it alone but the fight is often shorter if you get a little outside help like from your GP or if you want to talk to a counsellor or whatever. but you don't have to; it's your choice on how you handle it.

I don’t know
Original post by Chopinnocturne31
No, it’s not. You wouldn’t judge other people for having physical health issues, would you?

No but I feel like depression and anxiety is way for therapists and people to make money and they don’t care

Quick Reply

Latest