The Student Room Group

Would you date someone that lives in a different continent/country to you?

Would you date someone that lives in a different continent/country to you? Why and why not?

Scroll to see replies

Depends how far they are. If they live somewhere like the other side of the planet then I know that I won’t be able to see them that easily in person so probably not.
If they live closer, it would be easier for me to go and visit them and vice versa
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
Would you date someone that lives in a different continent/country to you? Why and why not?

The person needs to live 2 hours away [absolute max]
and it mustn't cost an arm and a leg for me to get there.

around £10 cost to visit them and return home is my limit

I guess if I accidently met someone who lived a bit further, I might give it a try..., but generally no ... a LDR is not something i'd look to get into.

dating someone living in London is something I'd not look for due to travel costs, but if i got a car the costs would be within my limit [fuel]
no. long distance relationships never worked for me. i gave up on them as a whole. i've tried them and they never worked. most of them were in the UK. one in italy and one in iraq. it never worked out. the one in italy barely spoke english. i have to see them in person in order to date them. bc you never know how they really are in person. they could be catfishing their personality. so yeah naww. :/
Sure.

But there needs to be the realistic prospect that at least one of us would move.
If you have that it's then a case of who you are dating that counts. And not where they are currently.
(edited 3 years ago)
Now? No. Did it when I was 16 though, London to Glasgow. Then moved to Glasgow when I was 18, it wouldn't have worked otherwise. LDR only works if you have plans of moving closer to each other in the near future imo.
in that case, say goodbye to your kidneys OP.
Reply 7
Original post by Truflais
Now? No. Did it when I was 16 though, London to Glasgow. Then moved to Glasgow when I was 18, it wouldn't have worked otherwise. LDR only works if you have plans of moving closer to each other in the near future imo.

What if you met someone in London who was willing to move to Glasgow?
Original post by ANM775
What if you met someone in London who was willing to move to Glasgow?

I wouldn't really want someone moving here JUST for me tbh. And it would have to be LDR for a while at least, and I really have no time/enthusiasm for it now. It's very expensive and emotionally draining for the most part.
I once met a man who is in an American university and I am in A level in the UK. We both come from another country other than the USA and the UK, and due to the closing of school in both countries, we now go back to our own hometown. He once said that if I would agree to be her girlfriend he would give up everything he has in the USA, and come to the UK to be with me. I don't know what others will feel, but I feel scared by it, just like rejecting him is actually a salvage to his life. He has a very promising future in the USA and he should not do anything like that at all.
In a long distance relationship, I would feel frustrated if I cannot see my partner easily. While if the partner would like to give everything up to come with me in the UK I feel scared and even guilty about how I impacted his life. So I would say I wouldn't go for a LDR.
Reply 10
He what?!
i've done it before wouldnt do it again
Reply 12
I can't believe this site sometimes. People are honestly crazy
:dontknow:
If ive met them before and theyre willing to visit often then why not
If you're going to Cancun and it is part of the Holliday itinerary, I don't see why not..
I wouldn't date someone I have never met in person... but that doesn't mean a relationship wouldn't be possible for one to form after you meet up.

My wife and me are from different continents.. its fine because right from dating we committed to always being together, no matter which continent that needs to be in. We have lived now in both at different times, but always together. I couldn't imagine trying to do the relationship and not being together.. eventually it would fail.
Not a different continent.
Maybe continue dating someone in a different country where return flights to London would take less than four hours.
Reply 18
Id give it a go.
Original post by megan_e
well maybe , but that would mean opportunities to lie to each other and more miscommunication than if you were able to regularly communicate without a time difference (if there is one, idk though)
what would you do?

I believe that people whose natures are devious or dishonest will behave that way wherever they are and whoever they are talking to.
Whether for thrills, to hide their dirty laundry or trying to gain something they want.
My best friend works in India and we communicate every day by phone, text and emails.

I wouldn't go looking for a ldr but wouldn't automatically want to break up if a guy I was dating was transferred somewhere like Ireland or Switzerland for a few months.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending