The Student Room Group

Will Biden be elected President?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by QE2
It wouldn't surprise me if there were Republican back room discussions on the feasibility of removing Trump before the election so it would be Biden v Pence.

All they would need a conveniently placed grassy knoll.
Original post by nulli tertius
The election may be violent but I don’t think it will be closely fought and yesterday’s antics may well have lost it for Trump.

Republicans up for re-election will have to decide in the next few weeks whether they are running on Trump’s ticket or running despite Trump. Is Trump an asset or a liability? He has been a very marginal asset in 2016 and 2018 and looks like a distinct liability in 2020.

I wouldn't be surprised if Trump is encouraged to abdicate in favour of Pence.
Original post by QE2
I shall at least enjoy the delicious irony of all those 2nd Amendment Preppers siding with an authoritarian federal government that is committing unconstitutional abuses of power.
Oh, how we'll laugh...

There are worrying parallels to the Troubles in all this. An initially peaceful movement dominated by leftists (BLM/the NI Civil Rights Association) with the goal of giving a historically oppressed group (blacks/Roman Catholics) equality gets into clashes with right-wing groups (the Proud Boys/the various Defence Associations) and then makes a stand in a built-up area (Portland and Seattle/Londonderry) while setting up no-go zones (CHAZ/Free Derry). We've already seen attacks on public figures by both sides and I pray it doesn't get worse.
Reply 62
In five years time it will be hard find anyone who admits having voted Trump.

Regardless of your politics, it's astonishing that anyone thought the man was fit for any high office, let alone leader of the free world.
Original post by DSilva
In five years time it will be hard find anyone who admits having voted Trump.

Yes, in the sense that he'll fade away. It's hard to find anyone now who's proud of voting for Eisenhower or one of the many forgotten presidents. Trump really won't be remembered after 20 years as anything other than a slightly populist Republican, and if he retires now then people will likely start looking at him through rose-tinted glasses 20 years on
Reply 64

An entirely pragmatic decision. The Presidency is all but lost, so throw Trump under the bus in order to retain control of the Senate. A Democrat president and both houses under Democrat control would be the sausage cheese scenario, as they say in Germany.
Reply 65
Original post by LiberOfLondon
Yes, in the sense that he'll fade away. It's hard to find anyone now who's proud of voting for Eisenhower or one of the many forgotten presidents. Trump really won't be remembered after 20 years as anything other than a slightly populist Republican, and if he retires now then people will likely start looking at him through rose-tinted glasses 20 years on

Doubt it. He's done permanent damage to the Office of the presidency and the US's standing in the world.

Whether Republican or Democrat there has never been a President more ill suited or unfit for high office.

Credit to the Republicans who've had the courage to come out against him like Romney and the Lincoln Project. The rest of the party, who've continued to back him need to take a long hard look at themselves.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 66

The difference with Trump is his legacy of TBs of mind-meltingly weird tweets, videos and press conferences. He will be remembered.
Reply 67
Original post by DSilva
Doubt it. He's done permanent damage to the Office of the presidency and the US's standing in the world.

Whether Republican or Democrat there has never been a President more ill suited or unfit for high office.

Credit to the Republicans who've had the courage to come out against him like Romney and the Lincoln Project. The rest of the party, who've continued to back him need to take a long hard look at themselves.

Mmm in fairness many of the presidents have done that, albeit his has been done simply through idiocy.
Reply 68
Original post by Napp
Mmm in fairness many of the presidents have done that, albeit his has been done simply through idiocy.

I'm hoping this Presidency through twitter rants will go when/if Trump goes
Reply 69
Original post by DSilva
I'm hoping this Presidency through twitter rants will go when/if Trump goes

Hope springs eternal. Although i wonder if, assuming Biden wins, that would be more because of his general competence or incompetence when it comes to matters of modern tech :lol:
Reply 70
Can we talk about how the Biden campaign specifically wants a 'woman of colour' as his VP? :curious:
Reply 71
Original post by Napp
Hope springs eternal. Although i wonder if, assuming Biden wins, that would be more because of his general competence or incompetence when it comes to matters of modern tech :lol:

I think a President who doesn't know how to use twitter would be a refreshing change!
Original post by DSilva
I think a President who doesn't know how to use twitter would be a refreshing change!

I'm ridin' with Biden.
Original post by QE2
An entirely pragmatic decision. The Presidency is all but lost, so throw Trump under the bus in order to retain control of the Senate. A Democrat president and both houses under Democrat control would be the sausage cheese scenario, as they say in Germany.

You can't say the Presidency's lost until the 4th of November.
Original post by QE2
The difference with Trump is his legacy of TBs of mind-meltingly weird tweets, videos and press conferences. He will be remembered.

True. Then again all presidents have had their gaffes - it's just that Trump's are published all over the internet whereas Reagan's or Dubya's are almost forgotten.
Original post by Ascend
Can we talk about how the Biden campaign specifically wants a 'woman of colour' as his VP? :curious:

And the prize for ”identity politics ********ter of the year” goes to Joe Biden.
On a different note, can we nominate Elizabeth Warren to be his VP?
Reply 74

Which is why I didn't say it.

True. Then again all presidents have had their gaffes - it's just that Trump's are published all over the internet whereas Reagan's or Dubya's are almost forgotten.

Even ignoring the different nature of media, neither of those two came anywhere near Trump, in both craziness and sheer volume.
Reply 75
Original post by Ascend

Sure.
Reply 76
Original post by QE2
Sure.

Progressive? Tokenism? Racist? Sexist? Positive discrimination?

It strikes me as very odd to say the least.

The ever shrewd Klobuchar made certain of that not happening when she "stepped down" to "allow a woman of colour" a chance.
Reply 77
Original post by Ascend
Progressive? Tokenism? Racist? Sexist? Positive discrimination?

More like expediency - which is essentially what politics is on every level.
Completely understandable and reasonable. Not sure why anyone is either surprised or triggered by it.
Reply 78

And the prize for ”identity politics ********ter of the year” goes to Joe Biden.

Whatever one thinks of Reagan's politics, he was a man of integrity. I don't think anyone could honestly say that of Trump.
Reply 79
Original post by QE2
More like expediency - which is essentially what politics is on every level.
Completely understandable and reasonable. Not sure why anyone is either surprised or triggered by it.

I don't think anyone is under the illusion that politicians don't go with pandering over principles but to be this transparent over it is surprising. Plus the only electorate he's pandering to here is a radical fringe. Pretty sure most voters are rolling their eyes.

The better play is to at least pretend to be picking the best possible candidate then go with an ethnic minority woman anyway.

Quick Reply